Birds to Right of Key Card

Bernice

IheartTarot: As I am the reader and the sitter is usually not physically present, left/right of the key card also happens to be my left/right.
Agreed.

And Phoenix Risings' post explains how the no-layout method is used. In fact any spread consisting of a single row of cards is usually read from left to right - Past to Future - unless the reader has decided otherwise.

Bee :)

olivia1

I just want to make this clear because I feel as if I say one thing but the responses I get are about totally something else...

When i ask a question, initially I expected "what is to come" to appear in the "future" position and "what has been" to appear in the past. Over time, I didnt know what to expect since my experience has taught me that this is not always the case. No, I didn't go in and decide to "change" it. I didn't decide that either side could be the "future" etc. Things just seemed to happen on its own.

Even in an example in the book, it was concluded that in the end, there would possibly be multiple offers for the sitter partly because of the stork+ Crossroad- which both appeared in the "past/present" position. However, someone feel free to reread the example on Pg 200 and correct me if I'm wrong. I wont be offended because I need all the guidance I can get. If I am wrong and you correct me, I'll actually be grateful.

Someone could say, "well she has multiple options now (but may or may not realize it) and that affects the future. However, in real life, just because someone has multiple options/ opportunities doesn't mean they'll get multiple offers. Yet the answer seems to indicate that there will be multiple offers because of the stork+crossroad. And the last 2 cards in the "future" spot seems to confirm the first 2 cards.

I don't think it is about how I state my questions. I am pretty exact. How I got technical with "right" and "left" on this thread should also show how exact I like to be (from the cards' point of view, the past position falls to the right *not* to the left. The "past" position is to the sitter's left, though).

olivia1

IheartTarot said:
Unless I am horribly confused, the words left/right in the book and in the study group threads mean left/right of the central key card and do not refer to the reader/sitter.

As I am the reader and the sitter is usually not physically present, left/right of the key card also happens to be my left/right. :)

Yeah, you are right. That is how it is worded in the book. I'm just very exact and since the cards are laid opposite to me, I know that technically my left would be the cards' right (and vice versa). But I think it will be ok as long as one knows which cards should mean "past" and which should mean "future."

lord_ewin

olivia1 said:
I usually lay the cards in front of me. So that would place them opposite to me. So my left would be the key card's right and vice versa.

Sorry, just curious. Do you mean that you flip the cards so they face the querrent instead of you? I'm trying to see what you've described in my head, and that's the only way in my mind that the key card's right woudl be on your left..?

olivia1

lord_ewin said:
Sorry, just curious. Do you mean that you flip them so they face the querrent? I'm trying to see what you've described in my head, and that's the only way in my mind that the key card's right woudl be on your left..?

No.

well, i was going with the idea that if someone was standing directly in front of you but you both are facing each other. I had the idea that if you hold up your left hand to this person and tell them to hold up the hand directly mirror to that hand you have up. the hand they hold up would be their right.

You know, like in 3rd grade where the teacher holds up their right hand and some kids will hold up the hand directly opposite to her's (without thinking) so she has to correct some kids and say "no, your other right."

But so there isnt further confusion, lets just call the 2 sides "past/present" and "future."

In this example:

heart+ring+ MAN (CC) + flowers+ Book

Heart+ Ring = past/present
Flowers+ Book = future

lord_ewin

olivia1 said:
heart+ring+ MAN (CC) + flowers+ Book

Heart+ Ring = past/present
Flowers+ Book = future

Ok, this is exactly right.

rif

Howdy!

olivia1 said:
When i ask a question, initially I expected "what is to come" to appear in the "future" position and "what has been" to appear in the past. Over time, I didnt know what to expect since my experience has taught me that this is not always the case. No, I didn't go in and decide to "change" it. I didn't decide that either side could be the "future" etc. Things just seemed to happen on its own.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure I have a good answer for you.

I know what you mean about examples where the future seems to appear on the left side of the key card, I've seen that as well. I can sort of understand it, if the question is completely future-based. For myself, I normally just read the left as past-present. I can't say I've ever had the future turn up in the left side for me.

Even in an example in the book, it was concluded that in the end, there would possibly be multiple offers for the sitter partly because of the stork+ Crossroad- which both appeared in the "past/present" position. However, someone feel free to reread the example on Pg 200 and correct me if I'm wrong. I wont be offended because I need all the guidance I can get. If I am wrong and you correct me, I'll actually be grateful.

I understand what you are saying, I wondered the same. I can see two options here. First, that the whole reading is about the future, because the question about the future.

Second, that the Storks + Roads as multiple options means that the client has already pursued multiple options. It doesn't say explicitly in the book, but it's possible that she already knows of multiple companies; or she may already have applied at more than one job. In which case, I think the left side of this sample reading still makes sense when considered as past-present. The future will bring a contract, but the roots of this contract -- which will require having one or more jobs available to the client -- exist already.

Am I making sense? It does in my head, hopefully it's clear above. I think some of these examples suffer from being confined to short posts and the written word.

Someone could say, "well she has multiple options now (but may or may not realize it) and that affects the future. However, in real life, just because someone has multiple options/ opportunities doesn't mean they'll get multiple offers. Yet the answer seems to indicate that there will be multiple offers because of the stork+crossroad. And the last 2 cards in the "future" spot seems to confirm the first 2 cards.

Storks + Roads + Fox + Sun + Letter

The way I read that example and the book's discussion, there are options "out there" for the client. She may already be aware of them, and she may have applied, but for this example it probably doesn't matter except that they are real possibilities. For me personally, this also means that she's at a decision point in life with respect to her job right now.

And the book example concludes multiple offers as you say. As this is a fictitious reading, we'll never know. :) But the important point is that is answers the original question: Will I get a new job? Sun + Letter say yes, you will. Whether or not there are multiple offers, there is a new job for sure.

Also, the Crossroad is right now. So it indicates that the client has choices and possibilities right now.

I wonder if you are making a mistake to only accept the Birds as confirmation that a communication will occur? Just something to think about. I too would prefer to see Birds in the future (from my viewpoint that is to the right of the key card, which everyone here agrees upon). But the Horseman, Man or even Clouds could all form part of a positive answer. Birds on the left/past could be indicating desire to have discussion, or be a couple, or whatever. In that sense, having Birds on the left (past-present) could be indicating you are on the right track in your reading.

In fact that's a great tip that I've not seen explicitly mentioned -- if the left side matches up the current situation for the questioner, then the reader is probably in tuned and on the right track.

I hope some of this is helpful, olivia1. :)

lord_ewin

Oh, that is very inciteful Rif! Your interpretation that the querrent has already gone through multiple job searches makes a lot of sense. After all, when you search for a job, you concentrate on many avenues, not only one.

I can also see it the other way, in that if she has not yet started on those many avenues that she should in fact search those many avenues, which will get her a few job offers to choose from. In that case, that's all future based reading.

Very helpful I think!!

olivia1

rif said:
I wonder if you are making a mistake to only accept the Birds as confirmation that a communication will occur... the Horseman, Man or even Clouds could all form part of a positive answer.

Hi. I did *not* know that Man or Cloud also could signify "communication" so thank you! Yes, I do realize that other cards besides Birds signify "communication." However, I really didn't know that Man or Cloud are part of that list. You are a star for sharing that...especially since (now that you mention it) Man does show up a lot in the "future" position in my "will X contact" questions.

I have noticed in plenty of my readings "birds" or "letter" would show up in the "past" and then Man would show up in the "future"...and the person does here from the person/organization. However, during the reading, I feel as if I am having to guess because I see a "communication" card in the "past" position but I dont see a "communication" card in the "future."

I did not realize that there *are* other "communication" cards also showing up in the "future" position. I simply dismiss them because i don't realize that they are "communication" cards.

Thank you, you helped out A LOT!

rif

I hope I am not belaboring if I post an example of how I might read this kind of question.

Suppose a woman wanted to know if a man she met at a party last night was going to contact her, and after charging the Lady and Man I got this:

Birds + Clouds + Lady + Horseman + Man

In this case, I could say that the Birds + Clouds represent confusion and uncertainty that the Lady feels about whether she'll be contacted.

However, Horseman + Man in the future would say that she'll receive news of or about him quite soon, and I'd say that this says that he will contact her.

The cards aren't always so obvious, but this seems like a positive outcome to me, given the sample question.

Hopefully this example brings you [Sun] and not [Clouds]. :D