thinking about making my own tarot cards

DragonRaven84

I have a couple of tarot card ideas in my head. one is a tarot card peck with wolves, horses, phoenixes. two is a greyhound tarot card deck and the third one is using myself, my dogs, my cat, my ferrets, my woodbaby puppets and my hubby. I'm not artist and I'm not very good t drawing my own artwork. I'm open for any help or ideas. comments are very welcomed

GryffinSong

Well, I'm quite fond of greyhounds. ;)

But if you're not an experienced/good artist, I'd recommend you noodle around with a sketchbook with all your ideas. Over time I'll bet one of your concepts will come to the fore, either as something you're better at drawing, or as something that's capturing your interest the most. Sometimes with this kind of project we have to just stop thinking and start doing. Then see what happens.

Good luck! :)

DragonRaven84

I own a retired racing greyhound and when I saw him I thought greyhound tarot

GryffinSong

I own a retired racing greyhound and when I saw him I thought greyhound tarot

I hear ya, I've often thought the same thing. I have a retired greyhound and five Italian greyhounds. Part of what I love about Kat Black's Golden Tarot is the number of IGs and greyhounds in the old artwork she worked from. Beautiful. Just beautiful. :heart:

It looks like you're in Florida? My greyhound came up from Florida last fall. She's a tiny young brindle and she's quite a hoot. A goofball of the first order, who basically flunked out of racing school. Raced three maidens and that was it. My last greyhound was named Gryffin (he inspired my username). I lost him to osteosarcoma last year at the age of 10. :(

Hugs to your hound!!! :heart:

DragonRaven84

Yes I live in Florida. I renamed mine Greyt Gerwin Dragonslayer because I didn't like his racing name which was Olympus Hero. he likes Gerwin better ;) mine broke both back legs, my hubby and I got him from actually greyhound racing and breeding farm close to where we live. the owner of my handsome son want the worker to shoot him in the head because he couldn't race my son but my son walks around just fine. Gerwin is 4 year old.

Spiffo

I have a couple of tarot card ideas in my head. one is a tarot card peck with wolves, horses, phoenixes. two is a greyhound tarot card deck and the third one is using myself, my dogs, my cat, my ferrets, my woodbaby puppets and my hubby. I'm not artist and I'm not very good t drawing my own artwork. I'm open for any help or ideas. comments are very welcomed

Did you ever do anything with this greyt idea?

Cheers Spiffo

ps: I have two retired racers at the moment.

tarotbear

Now that the greyhound lovers have derailed this thread - let us go back to the theme: "thinking about making my own tarot cards."

DR84 - do not use your perceived lack of artistic talent as an excuse or a crutch. I am NOT an artist, either, but when push started shoving I whipped out paper, pencils, and markers and fleshed out an entire deck in 30 days. Is it going to win any design awards? Hardly. Chutzpah awards- maybe.

If you cannot create a digital college deck (many have - with varied results), then my advice is to gather drawings, pictures, etc, from books, magazine, pictures you take yourself - and put them together as a workbook. In this way you have something to work off of, or show someone else to draw what you are thinking ('Use this picture of the dog lying on it's side, but put a small crown between it's paws'). In this way you can assemble cards for the different decks simultaneously, and work on whatever cards springs to mind when you see an appropriate picture. The point is gather, gather, gather imagery from any source you can, and when you feel you are ready to tackle this yourself, or find an artist to do it for you, you will already have a lot of the stuff fleshed out.

Spiffo

Now that the greyhound lovers have derailed this thread - let us go back to the theme: "thinking about making my own tarot cards."

I clearly got the humorous intent wrong and misread the above post; I apologise unreservedly for so doing.

cheimonette

Making my own tarot deck was an amazing experience, and I hope you decide to do it! It's a huge project, and a lot of work, but worth it.

I like all of your animal ideas a lot. In my deck, I have a different animal associated with different card suits (horses for discs, fishes for cups, moths for swords, and dragons for sticks/wands), and I found that very enriching: I could have my court card characters interacting with the suit animals and develop that relationship in interesting ways.

What do those animals (especially the wolves, horses, and phoenixes) mean to you?