Queen of Pentacles + 3 Pentacles

the world is saved

Hey all, I would love to have some thoughts from you on these two cards, which I've drawn as part of a 9 card spread.

Context: I've recently been contacted out of the blue by a man who was a very dear friend for years when we were younger (met in our early 20s, both now in our 40s). It was not a romantic/sexual relationship, but a good close friendship between two like-minded people which we both valued at the time. For reasons that I don't understand, because he never articulated them, he broke off our friendship about 8 years ago. A few days ago he found me on the dread FB and we've been chatting frequently - he seems delighted to be back in touch, as am I, but obviously I am curious as to why he is suddenly around again after all this time. At the moment he's pleading amnesia as to why he ended the friendship, clearly he's not ready or able to talk about that (I have tried gently probing of course, but don't want to upset him if he's not ready to talk about it). So I asked the cards to help me understand what's going on.

In response to 'What does X hope for from our connection now?' I drew the Queen of Pentacles.

In response to 'What does X need from me now in our friendship?' I drew the 3 Pentacles.

My interpretation: The Queen of Pentacles has sometimes come out in readings to represent how other people see me, and I would agree with that in respect of the homey, caring/nurturing qualities of this queen, her ability to help people in practical ways - I seem to be 'Mum' in my group of friends, and I think they have all told me at various times that they appreciate my good counsel, my warmth and calm demeanour. I am very much a homebody, and a woman who has had to work for everything herself. I am seen as steady and down to earth and practical. (All of which rather conflicts with my own view of myself as a raging inferno of self-doubt, insecurity and general chaos, but there you go!)

My intuition is that my old friend is hoping that I can help him in some way, with these caring and nurturing qualities. When I asked for a card to represent him now, I drew the 9 Swords, so it's possible he's experiencing some anguish or anxiety at the present time.

The 3 Pentacles is a card I often have trouble interpreting in specific contexts. I see it as either helping, or being helped, to develop something; there is a need for people to work together to achieve something, some kind of growth or furthering of some aim or process.

Overall, my interpretation is that he wants me to help him with some idea he is trying to manifest in the physical world. I have no idea what that might be at the moment, but do you think that's a possible interpretation?

Would appreciate any input. :)

the world is saved

Forgot to add the usual caveat, which is that I don't have internet access at home so am dependent on occasional public access, which might mean it will take me a bit longer to respond to any replies.

PAMUYA

I agree with your assesment of the queen, to him you appear very grounded and he may need someone like this in his life, the three of Pentacles here for me seems to be networking. As we get older we realize how important people and relationships are and work to reconnect with old friends.

I wanted to add IF he starts pushing towards a sexual relationship, this could be a warning of you being the other woman.

the world is saved

Thank you for your thoughts on this Pamuya, and apologies for the delay in replying, I haven't been able to get online since I originally posted.

I'm really curious where the idea of the Queen of Pentacles as 'the other woman' orginates? I'm aware there is a belief about her in that role and I felt sure someone would bring it up as the other card I drew was a 3, I'm just puzzled as to why the Queen of Pentacles in particular has that context for some. I would have said the Queen of Wands was your classic 'other woman'! :-D

At any rate, because I am aware of this perception of her, and of the 3s, it did cross my mind - when he originally broke off our friendship 8 years ago so suddenly and mysteriously, it did occur to me that perhaps he was in a relationship with someone who wasn't happy about him having a close friendship with another woman. I still don't know if that was the case, as his convenient amnesia over the whole thing continues.

However, I can actually update this already, and I believe my interpretation in my original post was accurate - it transpires that he has written a novel, and wanted my help with it basically (I have a degree in Literature). He's hoping to get it published and wanted me to edit/revise it and essentially get it into shape for submitting to publishers.

Sadly the years since we were last in touch seem to have left him a very negative and bitter person, an unpleasant one, to be honest. This coupled with the fact that he was not willing to acknowledge his actions in cutting me out of his life with no warning or explanation, and then getting in touch because he wants me to do something for him, meant that I sent him packing within a couple of weeks. I'm just not willing to have someone like that in my life at this point.

I guess the Queen of Pentacles is happy to help, but not to waste her time. :)

PAMUYA

Thank you for your thoughts on this Pamuya, and apologies for the delay in replying, I haven't been able to get online since I originally posted.

I'm really curious where the idea of the Queen of Pentacles as 'the other woman' orginates? I'm aware there is a belief about her in that role and I felt sure someone would bring it up as the other card I drew was a 3, I'm just puzzled as to why the Queen of Pentacles in particular has that context for some. I would have said the Queen of Wands was your classic 'other woman'! :-D

At any rate, because I am aware of this perception of her, and of the 3s, it did cross my mind - when he originally broke off our friendship 8 years ago so suddenly and mysteriously, it did occur to me that perhaps he was in a relationship with someone who wasn't happy about him having a close friendship with another woman. I still don't know if that was the case, as his convenient amnesia over the whole thing continues.

However, I can actually update this already, and I believe my interpretation in my original post was accurate - it transpires that he has written a novel, and wanted my help with it basically (I have a degree in Literature). He's hoping to get it published and wanted me to edit/revise it and essentially get it into shape for submitting to publishers.

Sadly the years since we were last in touch seem to have left him a very negative and bitter person, an unpleasant one, to be honest. This coupled with the fact that he was not willing to acknowledge his actions in cutting me out of his life with no warning or explanation, and then getting in touch because he wants me to do something for him, meant that I sent him packing within a couple of weeks. I'm just not willing to have someone like that in my life at this point.

I guess the Queen of Pentacles is happy to help, but not to waste her time. :)

Oh those Queens... the Queen of Wands would never put up with another woman or being the other woman, she does not have to, she is the center of attention. The Queen of Pentalcles is a nurturer,she is of earth, of body, knows how to please and make some one happy. This is not a good or bad thing, a quality of the suit. The queen of pents has never let me down in reading for others in a troubled relationship reading, just recently, this queen came up in a dating question, and I asked my client if she was seeing a married man, she broke down crying admitting to it, she was the other woman. Remember we all have our own personalized speciality cards, this queen is one for me. It may act differently for you. Also in some very old decks the queen of pents was depicted as bare chested, seductive, giving her the appearance of well....you get the picture. I originally read off of playing cards and the queen of diamonds (pentacles) could be read as the "other" woman. Anyway, a bit of history. Best of luck to you :) Happy reading.

the world is saved

Ah I see, I was thinking there was some more general context or meaning in the Queen of Pentacles that I'd missed, I've never come across the 'other woman' meaning in any of my reading, just as an anecdotal thing from individual posters here.

I was thinking of the Queen of Wands' independent streak, and her determination to have what she wants regardless of the wellbeing of others involved, at times - both characteristics I can see being pertinent in an 'other woman' context.

Anyway it didn't turn out to be the case here, and though the situation didn't have a happy outcome, I'm actually quite pleased that my interpretation was fairly accurate as to what was going on, that gives me a little more confidence. Self-readings can be a minefield!