tarot telling a story

roseinthewinter12

Sorry for the multiple threads Ive been trying to practice my tarot as much as possible. I've studied the meanings of cards according to multiple books. The thing I struggle with the most is relating one card to another. I will give an example. The three cards below are from a larger reading. The meaning of this position is what can be done to produce a more favorable outcome.

The cards were:

Ten of pentacles, my immediate interpretation is focus on the future, long term goals. I understand ten of pentacles is a card of material wealth but the couple here is satisfied and just gives the impression of being in for the long haul.

8 of pentacles I interpret this to mean use what ive learned in the past and keep working at it.

4 of swords reversed let go of my period of withdrawal and inactivity. time to act

so basically to the part that always stumps me. What are the cards saying in relation to another. I read it as the advice of the cards telling me to focus on the long term and not just the present, focus and use what I've learned and keep working at it, and don't delay for too long before I act. Is this on track. Any advice on how to understand the meaning of a card in relation to the card next to it

emilygrace

Sorry for the multiple threads Ive been trying to practice my tarot as much as possible. I've studied the meanings of cards according to multiple books. The thing I struggle with the most is relating one card to another. I will give an example. The three cards below are from a larger reading. The meaning of this position is what can be done to produce a more favorable outcome.

The cards were:

Ten of pentacles, my immediate interpretation is focus on the future, long term goals. I understand ten of pentacles is a card of material wealth but the couple here is satisfied and just gives the impression of being in for the long haul.

8 of pentacles I interpret this to mean use what ive learned in the past and keep working at it.

4 of swords reversed let go of my period of withdrawal and inactivity. time to act

so basically to the part that always stumps me. What are the cards saying in relation to another. I read it as the advice of the cards telling me to focus on the long term and not just the present, focus and use what I've learned and keep working at it, and don't delay for too long before I act. Is this on track. Any advice on how to understand the meaning of a card in relation to the card next to it

It largely depends on the context of the reading, like if it's career or love reading. But in this position, your interpretation was pretty good for any kind of reading. For me it always helps to study the images on the cards in addition to the basic meanings. It can really help you when deciding how they relate. For instance, I did a spread for a relationship earlier today where the hermit was next to the eight of pentacles. As the two figures were faced away from each other, I sensed that the hermit would represent the one person stewing and worrying while the other got on with their life, and that there would be some awkwardness and tension between the two people, as if it would be weird for them to look at one another. Another thing to do could be to figure out the card meanings one by one and then two by two, then all three together.

Another take on your interpretation, as there are a lot of pentacles present, is that you should focus on the more realistic and tangible goals in life- now is not the time for daydreaming and rose tinted lenses! The ten of pents shows you're focused on your future and that you want security more than anything. This combination also suggests that you should have a strong foundation for success and a steady plan to get there, and the eight shows that it'll be a great learning experience for you. With the four of swords present, it could indicate a lot of things. It can either call for a need for contemplation and planning before taking action, or it could signify that this period is over and that action should now be taken. Again, it all depends on your circumstances.

roseinthewinter12

Thank you I find that I can interpret the cards individually but connecting them is always the hard part. I like your interpretation as I would honestly like the relationship to become more stable but it seems he nor I are currently ready for that. I tend to want things right now and I don't want to wait. I've already learned quite a lot from him.

Grizabella

It might help you to just "say what you see" when you first look at a spread. Instead of viewing it as "this card means this, and that card means that". In a reading just look at the cards as they lay before you in the spread, say the first thing that comes to your mind. Don't worry that it could be wrong.

As I look at a spread, there may be a sudden phrase or snippet of music or even a TV commercial that enters my mind. That's a flash of intuition and I've learned to trust it. Even if my sitter may say it's preposterous, not true, or could never happen, most of the time it the reading proves out over the course of time. I don't always say it out loud but it will have bearing on the reading so I keep it in mind as I view the cards.

If there are a lot of watery, emotional cards in the spread, I remember to let that shed light on the rest of the cards. For instance, if there are more Cups cards or Cups plus the Empress, I can tell there's a lot of emotion surrounding the situation. If Wands cards predominate, then I know there's a lot of passion, thinking outside the box, or creative energy involved, even if it's only the energy of someone who wants something very intensely so that it becomes a passion. If there's a lot of passion in the matter, the other cards will usually give you a tip which direction that energy is headed.

If there are Wands cards and the pattern shows it to be something the sitter is really passionate about but the 7 of Swords is there, too, then the message may be that this person wants something so badly that they're determined to make it work by any means even if it's not through conventional, accepted method of doing things. Even if they have to lie or steal, they'll make it happen one way or another.

roseinthewinter12

It might help you to just "say what you see" when you first look at a spread. Instead of viewing it as "this card means this, and that card means that". In a reading just look at the cards as they lay before you in the spread, say the first thing that comes to your mind. Don't worry that it could be wrong.

As I look at a spread, there may be a sudden phrase or snippet of music or even a TV commercial that enters my mind. That's a flash of intuition and I've learned to trust it. Even if my sitter may say it's preposterous, not true, or could never happen, most of the time it the reading proves out over the course of time. I don't always say it out loud but it will have bearing on the reading so I keep it in mind as I view the cards.

If there are a lot of watery, emotional cards in the spread, I remember to let that shed light on the rest of the cards. For instance, if there are more Cups cards or Cups plus the Empress, I can tell there's a lot of emotion surrounding the situation. If Wands cards predominate, then I know there's a lot of passion, thinking outside the box, or creative energy involved, even if it's only the energy of someone who wants something very intensely so that it becomes a passion. If there's a lot of passion in the matter, the other cards will usually give you a tip which direction that energy is headed.

If there are Wands cards and the pattern shows it to be something the sitter is really passionate about but the 7 of Swords is there, too, then the message may be that this person wants something so badly that they're determined to make it work by any means even if it's not through conventional, accepted method of doing things. Even if they have to lie or steal, they'll make it happen one way or another.

Thank you I will practice some more. Generally I get stuck most often on a car that is perceived as negative next to a card perceived as positive

LeFou

...what can be done to produce a more favorable outcome.

10 of Coins - Sure, the long term, that's a great interpretation.

8 of Coins - You have skills, keep working it at. Baby steps add up. Incremental progress is positive.

4 of Swords Rx - Sure, it could mean "time to wake up and act" as you suggest. Alternatively, are you getting enough sleep? Dreams are where we sort things out, and without dreams, we get frazzled. Do you relate to the church basement, which looks solemn and serene? It looks dedicated to "things past," deeds done ("heroic legend," didactic story-telling).

(Reversals can indeed mean "opposite of upright" but at other times, they could be simply a footnote to call our attention.)

Any advice on how to understand the meaning of a card in relation to the card next to it

Personally, I look to how the imagery (or other card details) relate to the situation itself, and then after that, the cards seem to read themselves. So at least in my experience, it makes sense to keep going back to the situation over and over, until the "facts" line up with the pictures. Of course, elements, numbers, colors, themes may assist.

P.S. Look into the "negative" and "positive" cards and you'll find they are neutral.

PAMUYA

I thought you did well, self doubts will hang you up. I really like LeFou's comment on positives and negatives. We as readers need to learn to stay away from the ideas of good/bad, positive/negative, they tend to pulls us emotionally, taking us way off track. We must remind ourselves that things/people do not exsist inherantly, we paint attributes onto them changing how we see them, it is not how they actually exsist. Stepping back, leaving our emotions behide is a great help in seeing what the cards are trying to tell us.

The four of swords reversed for me is stepping out of your comfort zone, time to make your mark. Have your long term plans, work diligently, and get out there. Your interpretation is solid. Remember everyone sees different things in the cards. Be confident and be open to what your intuition tells you. Your intuition is unique to you, there is no right or wrong.

surest

Hi, lam new here and very happy to be here .l have been moving around on internet searching for people of like mindedness that will add value to my spiritual journey. Iam always eager to learning as lam still new to all things paranormal with high sense of interest. Seriously following.

surest

I recently ordered a tarot deck from ch that will soon arrive.

PAMUYA

Hi, lam new here and very happy to be here .l have been moving around on internet searching for people of like mindedness that will add value to my spiritual journey. Iam always eager to learning as lam still new to all things paranormal with high sense of interest. Seriously following.

Welcome to AT. Be sure to introduce yourself in the New Members section located near the bottom of the page