ACES

Metra

So I'm having a lot of trouble applying aces in readings. I understand that they're the start of something or the first spark. From my understanding right now they're typically positive cards, they're full of energy, and to be very basic cups/emotions, pentacles/material, swords/mental, wands/passion.

When I do readings and they appear I'm left stumped or just guessing. One time the ace of cups was a card that came up for "where you'll meet your next lover" and all I could think of was a place that had to do with with water or maybe a place that is peaceful or brings forth emotions? I recently got the ace of wands for the question "what task still needs to be completed" and all I could think of was starting something? but what? When these cards appear as people I'm totally stumped.

I just don't understand how to apply them and its making my readings really confusing. Almost to the point where when I do a reading I dread seeing an ace appear because idk what to do with it. If someone could explain them or give me an example that would be so helpful :(

Puffette

Ace of cups has to do with water and with emotions(i had it in most of cases meaning tears unfortunately)...
Ace of wands meant for me all the time phone calls,messages..so it has do with communication(maybe cards are telling you that you need to talk to someone or simply try to remember sending a message)
Ace of swords when i had an idea or i realised something..
Ace of pentacles always i had it meaning job offers.
When you are confused,ask a clarifier card..it's easier

queenxofxwands

One time the ace of cups was a card that came up for "where you'll meet your next lover" and all I could think of was a place that had to do with with water or maybe a place that is peaceful or brings forth emotions? :(
Hi, just as an example purely for this question, you're looking at what's in the cup and seeing it as water, but, when you are asking a question such as "where?", you have to remember, that the cards don't often have pictures of places such as coffee shops, bars, or anywhere else you can buy yourself a drink. Which could all be places represented by that cup. It's a cup. It could be while you're out buying cups, it could be that simple.

Thirteen

Ace of wands meant for me all the time phone calls,messages..so it has do with communication(maybe cards are telling you that you need to talk to someone or simply try to remember sending a message)
Ace of swords when i had an idea or i realised something..
Actually, for most readers, Swords are communications, messages—a desire to talk or just sit and think. Wands are the ones that most get for energy—ideas or thoughts that make you want to "do."

That doesn't mean you're wrong. A percentage of readers view them as you do—Wands as "air" and communications, Swords as "fire" and action. It's not wrong, but it's good to know that in 99% of the decks out there (and for about 75% of the readers), Swords are the "Air" and the ones that stand for phone calls, text messages, etc.

Thirteen

Sometimes you have to think literally....

Aces are like a seed just planted. They have the potential to grow into that THING—Cups into a full blown soft emotion like love or sadness or spiritual joy, Wands into action and passion, Pents into hard work or money or health, Swords into a problem solved or a complex argument. But for rather now all you're getting is the potential. And that might die, or it might, with water and good soil and such, grow.

That's how you read them. As something stirring, but undefined, unfocused and fragile. Something that needs to be nurtured if you want it to be more. Haven't you ever had those urges:"I want to say something but I don't know what..." or "I want to do something, but I don't know what..."? That's the Aces.

One time the ace of cups was a card that came up for "where you'll meet your next lover"
On things like this you have to be more literal and creative. Look at the card. What does it remind you of? It's a PLACE. So think of PLACES that look like that. A fountain maybe? It doesn't have to be so mysterious or enigmatic. Tarot cards aren't always come great riddle of the sphinx. Sometimes they can be ridiculously obvious. Like, if you get the Chariot upside down...probably car trouble. ;)

Puffette

Actually, for most readers, Swords are communications, messages—a desire to talk or just sit and think. Wands are the ones that most get for energy—ideas or thoughts that make you want to "do."

That doesn't mean you're wrong. A percentage of readers view them as you do—Wands as "air" and communications, Swords as "fire" and action. It's not wrong, but it's good to know that in 99% of the decks out there (and for about 75% of the readers), Swords are the "Air" and the ones that stand for phone calls, text messages, etc.

I know that this is how it is generally interpreted..i read even in books and on internet but never applied in my case..And i was surprised to see it's viceversa. :( I don't remember getting the ace of swords for communication never ever.. I got it only when it meant clarity,realisation of some sort...i get it as answering "yes". The card that i had it meaning phone calls was the ace of wands...everytime i would get this card i knew that somebody will call me or text me,depending on the surrounding cards... Oh,and 8 of wands but that's another story.
I'm thinking that maybe it depends from person to person how they establish their cards...
I give you one more example of how the interpretation can differ... on every website i searched through i read that the ace of cups upright is love,new love,beautiful emotions,happiness and that reversed the cup gets spilled... But upright i got it meaning tears,only tears...nothing new...no happiness... Just sadness and tears(upright). It was strange at the beginning,as there are so many other cards that could bring tears... but exactly this one made no exception. Everytime i get it in a reading i'm worried because of what's next.

Thirteen

I'm thinking that maybe it depends from person to person how they establish their cards...
There is no need to explain or justify your point of view. I *know* that it depends on the person. I *know* that some readers see Wands/Swords this way. That's pretty much what I meant when I said that you weren't wrong to view the two suits that way. It's not Atypical. Just not as common as the other way around. In fact, there are decks and books out there with that point of view and if you go to the Decks forum, Books&Media forum, and likely the Thoth forum and ask about such books/decks that have Wands as Air and Swords as Fire, posters in those forums, I'm sure, will point them out to you.

The only reason I brought it up is because you told Metra that Wands = Communication; which they do for you, but from what she said in her original post, they don't for her. So she might have thought, from what you said, that she'd gotten it wrong.

What most people read—as you did—is Swords as Air. Which means that when you discuss wands/swords here, you kinda need to let people know that for you the opposite is true. Which is why, when you talk about Wands, you talk about them as Communication. Otherwise people might think you're confused or they're confused as to what Wands mean.

Does that make sense?