Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

gregory

I would avoid NUMBERING the majors so as not to cause Issues ! Just titles would do.

Flames

Hi! I don't want to look like I am pushing for The Game Crafter, :laugh: but their proportions:size ratios will also fit into the MakePlayingCards and Printers Studio's Tarot card templates.

The top half of the pdf I attached is an explanation to go with the template previously mentioned. (also attached)

If for some reason the Collaborative decides to change and do poker-sized cards -or something else :eek: - that needs to be addressed up front and quickly, also. :)

Thank you so much, tarotbear! This is great. :) I like the pdf explanation. That helps a lot, more than I can say. :)

What do others think of this?

Flames

I would avoid NUMBERING the majors so as not to cause Issues ! Just titles would do.

Hi gregory!
Yes, I don't think the Majors need numbering, either.

Flames

Hi! I don't want to look like I am pushing for The Game Crafter, :laugh: but their proportions:size ratios will also fit into the MakePlayingCards and Printers Studio's Tarot card templates.

The top half of the pdf I attached is an explanation to go with the template previously mentioned. (also attached)

If for some reason the Collaborative decides to change and do poker-sized cards -or something else :eek: - that needs to be addressed up front and quickly, also. :)

Let's try to focus on size, everyone, then we can iron out other details. What do you envision? Have a look at this information tarotbear provided. POST #39

blue_fusion

We have experience with that with the Tarot Collectors Forum decks.

And i remember the rebukes i got when i tried encouraging folks in a themed deck some years back har har. I think the closest we had to a theme was "blue line".

Going back to the topic, i think it's also important to note that not everyone participating will want an actual physical copy of the deck.

tarotbear

Hi gregory!
Yes, I don't think the Majors need numbering, either.

I am going to "second" this - if the Majors are going to have titles/banners added post-production - then I see no need to number the Majors.

However - that brings up the Minors - will they be numbered? Will they be numbered post-production so they all have the same style numbering? This would mean anyone doing the Minors will have to leave an area at the top of their card for the numbering to be done that does not inadvertently cover part of their design.

Just thinking ... because when I did my original deck it was one thing, but when I colored and revised it I also revised the numbering and the titles .. so it helped to have something 'plain' where the number would be so there was less to 'fix'.

Examples of 'before' and 'after'.

Attachments

• MA 002t.jpg
    MA 002t.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 163
  • MA 002.jpg
    MA 002.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 158

annabel398

I could volunteer as Technical Maven. Setting up a template, helping people translate that into pixels/inches/mm/fingerswidths, providing a high-quality color scanner, and so forth... If the group decides on typesetting card titles (as opposed to having each artist incorporate the title into his/her card), I can adjust the template for that and choose a font. Ditto for borders if the group decides to incorporate them. I can also provide adjusted sizes and percent reductions for those who would like to work larger than 100%.

Any interest in having such a resource?

ETA: I would like to vote for 2-3/4" x 4-3/4" as Tarotbear suggested above--but there's more to it than that! If we go borderless, everyone will need to design for a card that's actually slightly larger than that. If bordered, we should probably set a consistent border width and the actual art area will be smaller.

I would also like to suggest a little artist's release, to the effect that the artist retains copyright but allows use of their image in printed decks. I strongly feel that those who want a physical deck should be allowed to get one that has all 78 cards!

tarotbear

I VOTE YES TO THIS SUGGESTION!

annabel398 - you could be the lifesaver for this project if you can/will do all this for the techno-impaired! (bows three times in annabel398's direction)

PS - What format to save these for publishing? I think PNG is recommended. Or can/will annabel398 convert things as necessary?

annabel398

Digital folks: PNGs are great. PSDs even better, to preserve layers. How about if we set up a Dropbox account for this project? The Cloud: it's not just for Aces... =D

P.S. I can convert most formats, vector as well as raster (in case we have any Adobe Illustrator peeps here).

gregory

Digital folks: PNGs are great. PSDs even better, to preserve layers. How about if we set up a Dropbox account for this project? The Cloud: it's not just for Aces... =D
JPGs for me, please....