"Dishonored" video-game tie-in deck

Saranade

I just got this deck because my boyfriend got the game. He knew I've been wanting a starter deck so gave me the deck that came with the preorder. I figured I could just write on it the meanings and stuff and still use it as a starter deck, maybe even reorder it and write the correct numbers on them... but I'm having trouble figuring out which cards should be tied to the traditional major arcana... I'll list out what they have

00 - The Outsider... pretty obviously supposed to be the fool
01 - Judgment... obvious, just out of order
02 - Lust... this could be the Devil perhaps?
03 - The Man on Stilts
04 - The Boatman
05 - The Witch... Could be either Magician or High Priestess
06 - The Weeper
07 - The Lady... possibly High Priestess
08 - Regret
09 - The Urchin Prince
10 - The Twins... almost definitely the Lovers
11 - The Hermit... name says it all
12 - The Artist... thinking Magician maybe?
13 - Cruelty... it's possible this is supposed to be dark take on Justice
14 - The Governess
15 - Nobility
16 - The High Overseer
17 - The Drowned Man... must be Hanged Man
18 - The Lord Regent
19 - The Empress... name says it
20 - The World... obvious
21 - Death... also obvious

So I desperately want to know, how would you match these up?

rwcarter

My deck came today and I was going to go through this exercise anyway, so let's see what else I can come up with:

00 - The Outsider... pretty obviously supposed to be the fool - Agree it's the Fool
01 - Judgment... obvious, just out of order - Agree it's Judgement
02 - Lust... this could be the Devil perhaps? Lust is often another name for Strength
03 - The Man on Stilts - Chariot (those stilts look like they could go in opposite directions very easily!)
04 - The Boatman - Wheel of Fortune as one never knows if the sea will be calm or stormy
05 - The Witch... Could be either Magician or High Priestess - My guess would be High Priestess
06 - The Weeper - Strikes me as being the Moon for some reason
07 - The Lady... possibly High Priestess - Maybe Justice as she looks like she'd whack you with that umbrella if you did something out of line :laugh:
08 - Regret - The Devil?
09 - The Urchin Prince - The Sun since a Prince is "younger"
10 - The Twins... almost definitely the Lovers - Agree it's the Lovers
11 - The Hermit... name says it all - Agree it's the Hermit
12 - The Artist... thinking Magician maybe? - I agree it's likely the Magician
13 - Cruelty... it's possible this is supposed to be dark take on Justice - I think it's the Tower as one who needs a Tower moment would think it a cruel thing to happen to them
14 - The Governess - I think this may be Temperance
15 - Nobility - The Star since many often can only hope to marry into the nobility
16 - The High Overseer - I think this may be the Hierophant
17 - The Drowned Man... must be Hanged Man - I agree it's likely the Hanged Man
18 - The Lord Regent - I think this is the Emperor
19 - The Empress... name says it - Agree it's the Empress
20 - The World... obvious - Agree it's the World
21 - Death... also obvious - Agree it's Death

Interested in seeing what others come up with!

Saranade

Looks great except that you have two cards listed to be the Sun (Urchin Prince and Nobility), but I don't see any mention of the Star.

I had no idea about Lust being an alternate name for Strength, I never would have guessed. That may influence the way I see the card now. I rather like the rest of your interpretations as well.

As for suits I was thinking:
Swords as Swords
Guns as Wands (because of the fire)
Rats strike me as Coins just because of the circular nature of their image on the cards
Which would leave Skulls as Cups

What do you think?

rwcarter

Thanks for catching that. In that case I think Nobility would be the Star.

Your suit associations are sound in my book.

azraelmorphyne

Plot Based Connections ( hints to spoilers as well)

This is from the standpoint of playing the game, and matching qualities of the figures on the cards personalities to the meanings of the cards they represent in my opinion.

1. Judgement

This girl is a call that needs to be heeded throughout the game. She is your reason for living, and the proof of your innocence.

2. Lust

I just put her as strength. It's been said Strength and Lust are the same.

3. Man on Stilts = chariot for me. It's the only vehicle in the game.

4. Boatman

Some may disagree, but he's The Sun to me. Samuel acts as a moral figure at the end of the game. His commentary about the nature of Corvo's ( Death's) actions foreshadow the tone of either ending. He also saves you from a potentially lethal plot turn around the middle, giving you a second chance at your goals.

5. The Whitch = High Priestess. ( This ones simple.)

6. The Weeper - The wheel

Their numbers are increased by Corvo's brutality throughout the game. Less kills equals less consequential weepers.

7. The Lady - Justice

She hides in a pack of three identically dressed sisters ( equality, congruence), and must at some point admit to you that she's the one you seek ( admission, truth) . She questions you often ( also truth) .

8. Regret - The Devil

Without giving away much, he deals with enslavement, ego, Error, Illusion, and loss.

9. The Urchin Prince - The Fool

He won't ever get to the bottom of anything going on. His methods don't seem to get him anywhere. He later on must face a magick he grew to think was just superstition. (Innocence, Blind faith)

10. The Twins - Lovers

you encounter them in a brothel. Need I say more?

11. The Hermit -

I never encountered him.

12. The Artist - The Magician -

He's a scientist, and natural philosopher, by the name of Sokolov. He also paints the royals.

13. Cruelty - the tower

He the bastard that set's it all in motion via a blind-sided assassination. This man throws the whole world into chaos.

14. The Governess - Temperance -

She sweeps. It's all she dose. ( I think that counts I guess)

15. Nobility - The Star

He's an ally who plans to acquire the twins votes in parliament.

16. The High Overseer - Hirophant

I think this is the games version of a bishop, or cardinal, who's in the Lord Reagent's pocket.

17. The Drowned Man - Hanged Man

This is more of an emotional drowning by the end of the game, but it applies.

18. The Lord Regent - Emperor

Ruler, Practical, Masculine, Strategic ( use to be the empresses spy master)

P.S ... he and Cruelty are the same man.

19. Empress

20. The world.

21. Death

His goals through the game are assassination based. In the long run he plans to terminate the entire current ruling party.

22. The outsider - The moon

He comes to you in dreams, He's perplexed by humanity, he influences you magic, He's amused by your emotion, He's confused by your choices, He visits you at every shrine you've taken one of his runes from. ( don't know if that shine thing is cyclical but it feels repeated in that fashion)

Thank you for reading this. I know it's long, and I'm sorry about that.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, azraelmorphyne and thanks for that viewpoint! I know nothing about the game, so your assignments are much more likely to be true than mine. And I appreciate the background as to why you feel particular cards correlate to particular standard Majors.

Yineth

Is the deck available for separate purchase or strictly given to the people who pre-ordered the game?

rwcarter

There are lots of copies of the deck available on eBay, but I don't believe it's generally available for purchase at metaphysical stores or at gaming stores as it was intended as a pre-order bonus.

Yineth

There are lots of copies of the deck available on eBay, but I don't believe it's generally available for purchase at metaphysical stores or at gaming stores as it was intended as a pre-order bonus.

Haha, I wasn't expecting my nearest Meta-store to sell them :p

I did check on ebay though and am currently watching some of them. The deck looks decent overall, but buying multiple copies is kind of out of my financial reach... >.>

azraelmorphyne

sorry made a mistake

I did run into the hermit.
He makes your weapons, and hits on your female allies.