Opinion: best deck for kids?

0_seeker

Solitaire* said:
Something to think about with Tarot of a Moon Garden is that the book that goes with it has a heavy agenda of witchcraft. If you or the parents of the child you want to get the deck for aren't into that or are averse to it, you might want to choose another deck or don't get the book that goes with it. :)

Thanks, Solitaire. I hadn't even thought of this -- it's been so long since I read a LWB that I'd forgotten they say different things! I even told her to read the book (and ask me) when she had questions. So there will be some nuancing to do in person.

Though I guess introducing her to some witchy ideas, whether ultimately she accepts them or not, is a good thing. I'll have to pick up another Moon Garden and read that book.

BodhiSeed

My daughter, who is a bit of a tomboy, loves the Celtic Dragon Tarot and the Tarot of the White Cats.

Bodhran

Hemera

(Well..I happen to have Lars Kristian Holmsen Tarot for sale now in the trading thread)

Connolly is beautiful and I have given a mini-Connolly to my 3 year-old niece. (Her father stores it for her now, and he loves it,too..)

Gilded has got nudity in it but I think what´s even worse is that the pictures are so exact that the deck doesn´t leave anything to your imagination. It is uninspiring. A child needs cards to spark the imagination which is where all the Magic initially rises from.

My teen-age daugter chose Cosmic Tarot at the age of 14. Her younger sister was 11 and chose Unicorn Tarot.

Sophie

I don't see the problem with nudity in decks for children. Nudity is not perverse or obscene, it's natural and beautiful. Keeping nudity away from them just reinforces the totally twisted view that some societies have about nudity.

I gave my nephew and niece various decks from when they were about 7, and some kind AT'ers also gave some - the Baroque Bohemian Cats, the Tarot of Prague, the Olympian Tarot (which has a lot of nudity - it's full of Greek gods and goddesses) and Le Tarot d'Or.

I remember discussing the nudity issue with my sister, because I'd seen it discussed here. She laughed at me and said they see nudes all the time when she takes them to the Louvres (they live in Paris). The world is full of nudity, art is full of nudity - and tarot is a form of art.

Naked characters on cards was never an issue with the children. They took it as natural,neither seeking it out nor rejecting it. Their favourite decks were those that sparked their imagination and validated their personal passions. For my nephew, his passion for myths and for history (hence the Olympian Tarot and the Tarot of Prague); for my niece, her passion for animals.

Interestingly, both of them really took to my Oswald Wirth tarot, which is a Majors-only. I think the clarity and simplicity of the arcana made a strong impression on them.

Sulis

Fudugazi said:
I don't see the problem with nudity in decks for children. Nudity is not perverse or obscene, it's natural and beautiful. Keeping nudity away from them just reinforces the totally twisted view that some societies have about nudity.

I gave my nephew and niece various decks from when they were about 7, and some kind AT'ers also gave some - the Baroque Bohemian Cats, the Tarot of Prague, the Olympian Tarot (which has a lot of nudity - it's full of Greek gods and goddesses) and Le Tarot d'Or.

I remember discussing the nudity issue with my sister, because I'd seen it discussed here. She laughed at me and said they see nudes all the time when she takes them to the Louvres (they live in Paris). The world is full of nudity, art is full of nudity - and tarot is a form of art.

Naked characters on cards was never an issue with the children. They took it as natural,neither seeking it out nor rejecting it. Their favourite decks were those that sparked their imagination and validated their personal passions. For my nephew, his passion for myths and for history (hence the Olympian Tarot and the Tarot of Prague); for my niece, her passion for animals.

Interestingly, both of them really took to my Oswald Wirth tarot, which is a Majors-only. I think the clarity and simplicity of the arcana made a strong impression on them.

Well said Fudugazi :)
I've always wondered why folks are so afraid of their children seeing the naked human body, I really don't have any problem with it.
I would find excessive violence in a deck to be more worrying if that deck was given to a child than nudity.
My daughter loves to play with my World Spirit Tarot and it was the first deck that she really enjoyed playing with and it has nudity in it (she never even noticed) but there is even GASP!!!!! pubic hair on The Star :eek:

Hemera

There is different kinds of nudity,though..
Unfortunately many decks do not display natural nudity of both sexes (and all ages!) but mostly some kind of Playboy-nudity of just young females.
Especially some Italian card makers seen to favour this type of nudity..Tarot of Mermaids is an example of this. Such fantastic artwork but I have rarely seen so many bare young breasts in any deck. It is not bad but it is not a view of the world that I´d like to give to my daughters. Too one sided and sexist..

HearthCricket

Yes, I happily nicknamed my Mermaid deck the Tarot of the Big Boobies! :)

But as for certain decks, like the Gilded, any nudity is very tasteful and IMO natural. Okay, so I was brought up on National Geographic magazines and it was a good thing. I was never going to be someone who would stare at cleavage or be shocked by African or Amazonian tribes. We all came into the world nude! We take our tubbies in the nude. There is a big difference, in the world of tarot, between nudity and erotic depictions.

missycab

I must agree with the nudity thing.

As a child, and a history fanatic since my early years, I'd browse my mom's history books. And the nude sculptures and paintings of the Greek or the Renassaince didn't disturbed me. I always thought they were beautiful. Look at the Venus of Milo, or the David by Michelangelo! They are beautiful sculptures! And the nudes are totally natural.

Of course, this depends on the deck. But I don't think that (certain type of) nudity isn't suitable for kids.

Sophie

hemera said:
Tarot of Mermaids is an example of this. Such fantastic artwork but I have rarely seen so many bare young breasts in any deck. It is not bad but it is not a view of the world that I´d like to give to my daughters. Too one sided and sexist..
LOL, yes well, I wouldn't like that either. But for political reasons, rather than puritanical (although I might be naughty and give my nephew that one :D)