Predictions didn't come true AT ALL, now having a crisis of Faith in the Tarot..

VGimlet

When ever someone gets many readings on one subject I find it ends up being a confusing mess. I have told clients - 'we read on this same thing last week, and unless something significant has changed, let's look at something else you want to know instead'.

Tarot is NOT set in concrete. Even when you are looking at the future, short or long-term, you NEARLY always have the power to change the path you are on. I would never rely on tarot as my only answer to anything, and I've been reading cards a very long time. As a heads-up? As something to think about when you are making choices? Sure. As the best advice you'll ever get? Not so much. Even if the tarot says 'yes', the sitter themselves has to take action to make some things happen, at least in my experience.

ravenest

That's where we differ RaaD - I do turn clients away when they want to go over & over old ground, or to "know what ..... is doing" - neither behaviours are healthy - while the client pays me for my expertise; it is in both our interests that I don't allow them to waste time; theirs or mine - in allowing the pursuit of an unhealthy behaviour. Instead I may give them information for support services or relevant therapists & send them away - without a reading & without charge. I refuse to take advantage.

:thumbsup: not all of us 'take money' just because its there for the taking. Treating tarot and the way it is used with respect and ethics actually help make a clear channel for the deeper and more important lessons that tarot gives when working with it ... for the reader that is.

Zephyros

:thumbsup: not all of us 'take money' just because its there for the taking. Treating tarot and the way it is used with respect and ethics actually help make a clear channel for the deeper and more important lessons that tarot gives when working with it ... for the reader that is.

Well, that depends on what you mean by ethics, of course, money notwithstanding. Using a geeky metaphor, using the Dark Side of the Force, Emperor Palpatine could probably use Tarot pretty well, should he even need it. The readings would be intensified by his deep, magickal concentration on his aggressive feelings, hate and lust for power of the Force. At times I have found it useful not to raise airy-fairy serene feelings, when doing pre-reading meditations, but rather the other side, depending on the purpose of a reading. Those readings certainly do not deal in altruism or "goodness" but are sometimes needed.

danieljuk

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you Alexiel_Eden and it's caused a crisis in your tarot beliefs. I don't know anyone who does tarot here and / or professional who guarantees 100% accuracy and really we can't guarantee that.

I have had predictive readings and also tried to do them for myself. Sometimes it does come true and often it doesn't! I never take it seriously or as an absolute. There is so many variables, everything could change tomorrow and that path in life has changed. For example in your readings you could argue that because you didn't know if they were in a relationship or not, you were getting a reading without that knowledge (this depends on your personal belief of the tarot, if it would know this or not).

also when we are interested in someone or in love or a relationship breaks up, we often become a bit crazy and irrational and ask the tarot the same thing over and over and get readings from people about the same question. You see it in 'your readings' here all the time! I have been in that position myself and I know I restrict myself to one reading on a question, every 30 days minimum.

some people don't use tarot for predictive things ever and only for working though issues, answering questions about choice and for those purposes.

I think in your situation, it just went wrong. Maybe life changed or maybe the person who made the predictions just read them completely wrong.

I hope what happened is something to learn from and your heart heals. My advice is that not everything comes true, for me it probably rarely does, but it does sometimes. Also I am very careful with the things I ask the tarot now in the future, it's not always a happy message and I believe we shouldn't know everything :)

ravenest

Well, that depends on what you mean by ethics, of course, money notwithstanding.

In this case; by ethics I mean, it appeared that the 'dangled bait' needed to be increased in stages to keep the client coming back for more.

Some may not see that as unethical but somehow the process reminds me of a drug dealer whose 'product' doesn't do what is promised, but the buyer keeps coming back for more because they are hooked on a feeling that they want to expand and get more of, so each time the dealer adds a little extra ... something and tells the client what great new effect the drug will have ... and so on repeating until the person has a bad experience on the drug with none of the promised effects.... and eventually realises they were ripped off.

Using a geeky metaphor, using the Dark Side of the Force, Emperor Palpatine could probably use Tarot pretty well, should he even need it. The readings would be intensified by his deep, magickal concentration on his aggressive feelings, hate and lust for power of the Force.
Hmmmm m, you don't strike me as a geek ... so I assume you are borrowing their metaphors ... in this case he would be reading for himself so ethics are self-referential ...his reading isn't going to effect someone else ... except the rest of the Universe :) (I am assuming he is the bad guy? - serious I wouldn't know ... There! I demonstrate my ignorance of the most prominent myth of our age ;) )
At times I have found it useful not to raise airy-fairy serene feelings, when doing pre-reading meditations, but rather the other side, depending on the purpose of a reading. Those readings certainly do not deal in altruism or "goodness" but are sometimes needed.

Oh DEF! I mean ... if I was doing a reading for someone with those questions, ideas and sentiments I would ..... (toning down now ) .... find 'it useful not to raise airy-fairy serene feelings.'

But I don't have to worry, people seem instinctively not to approach me with those questions ... it must be my 'aura'.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/godandthemachine/files/2012/10/Crap.jpg

tarotbear

It's already been rehashed - but the biggest problem is indicated in your very first sentence.

All I can say is - are you/did you ever belong to an 'organized religion'? Did you get everything you ever prayed for? The priests or elders said 'Do this and that will happen' and you did and nothing happened? Did God/Goddess/All That Is answer your prayers and give you whatever you requested?

Probably not.

And thus it is with Tarot.

Alexiel_Eden

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your replies your answers have all helped a lot. I came to the conclusion that I'd developed an unhealthy relationship with the Tarot so this morning I gave 2 decks to charity and a special deck I dropped in the river as it was more respectful I felt. I walked past 10 minutes later and the only thing left floating on the surface was three cards; "The Magician, The Star and The Ace of Wands." I like to think it was their final message to me to help me on their way. (not sure what it means tho. I think it means be confident and positive to reach your dreams). I dropped them near some friendly-looking ducks.

I have kept one deck, my original one, which I have thoroughly cleansed with sea and rock salt and have stored under my bed. I think I will probably end up going back to the tarot after a long break (at least 2 months) but who knows maybe I never will. I have kept out my Angel Oracle cards for protective energy in my bedroom. It has broken my heart all of this but I feel I will be wiser when I come out the other side. I'm never going to get multiple readings done on the same question unless something Major changes. Also I'm not sure whether I'll ever ask about the future ever again..cos even if its true it just goes to show it can change from day-to-day so I don't see the point in knowing..plus I was using the tarot to decide on my life choices..not good lol. I'd rather make my own choices even if they're mistakes. And any questions I do ask about the future I want to ask them constructively, like "how can I achieve this future, what actions do Ineed to take to get there?" and then meticulously follow their advice.

I think it will okay in time. I just need a long break from it all

Alexiel_Eden

Also my reader was very good, I think she just wanted the best for me and she could see how much I liked this guy so it may have been too that she wanted to interpret the readings positively cos she lost objectivity the more she got to know me (we are very freindly with each other now). However because I know all the cards I do think it was the cards that were coming out "wrong"..e.g. 9 of cups + The Star in the outcome position and directly underneath it 2 tens reversed (wish fulfilled)...another reading showed me as the Queen of Pentacles and him as the King of Pentacles (he always comes up as the KoP anyway). I do think the cards were showing possible future had I have stayed in my job but as I changed my mind the future changed..really not sure tbh. But I couldn't sacrifice my own happiness for a chance with this guy, I needed to get out. I guess its just a lost opportunity. I did lose the wheel of fortune from one of my decks around about the same time I decided to quit my job. At the time I thought it was a sign that I was missing a career opportunity but now I'm thinking it was foreshadowing this. I'm going to concentrate on getting my life back to a better place over the next couple of months, then when I leave the job if I feel by own intuition that it's the right thing to do then I will let him know how I feel (I think he thinks I don't like him) if he's not with his girlfriend by then. Maybe I will go to another Tarot reader either now, at the time or both, for some objective guidance as my current reader was so good but i think it may be better to ask someone who knows nothing about the history of the situation. But it really just depends on how things go in real life. I feel a lot better-lighter and more free- now I've parted with three of my decks and cleansed and stored the remaining one.

:)

dancing_moon

However because I know all the cards I do think it was the cards that were coming out "wrong"..e.g. 9 of cups + The Star in the outcome position and directly underneath it 2 tens reversed (wish fulfilled)...another reading showed me as the Queen of Pentacles and him as the King of Pentacles (he always comes up as the KoP anyway).

Actually, I'd interpret 9 of Cups + Star as being alone with your love and wishing for something far away that can hardly be reached. :( 2 tens reversed would mean conclusion of the matter, but not in the way you wanted it to be concluded, or failing to realize it's over (depending on the suits). So, maybe, your reader was really trying to comfort you, sorry...

Alexiel_Eden

Actually, I'd interpret 9 of Cups + Star as being alone with your love and wishing for something far away that can hardly be reached. :( 2 tens reversed would mean conclusion of the matter, but not in the way you wanted it to be concluded, or failing to realize it's over (depending on the suits). So, maybe, your reader was really trying to comfort you, sorry...

maybe, you never know do you!! the cards have so many meanings. I am sitting here with a notebook thinking over everything that has happened this year and trying to figure out what it is I really want. I come up with so many happy, positive things that put me in another better state of mind, and I realised that when thats what Im thinking of and wanting to attract, that guy doesn't come anywhere close to it. When I step outside all the fear and negativity I don't like his energy; he is rude and kind of sleazy, trying to flirt with other girls and show off when his girlfriend is standing 5 feet away. I don't want that kind of person in my life when I'm in a good mood. I met someone last week who hasn't been in touch but he was gorgeous (physically, an abercrombie and finch model!!) and he was sweet and shy. That is the kind of guy I want in my life, not this one. I am going to focus on elevating my life and my state to attract happier, positive things. I expect that if I do this my desire for this other guy (the bad one) will keep fading away