Harry Potter: Who had what deck?

LindaMechele

Over on the Tarot Playlists thread, HallowedNight suggested the Harry Potter soundtracks for listening while reading, so I did a Spotify search since I'm a big Harry Potter fan.

I LOVE it! Been listening to it all day, so told her (him? - HN, been talking to you for days and still don't know - what pronoun should I use?) that and it prompted this response:
I refuse to believe they didn't have tarot cards in the wizarding world. :^P
And my reply so far:
They SO have tarot cards in the wizarding world! You just know Dumbledore had them stashed away somewhere. He probably had an original copy of every historical deck including the Sola Busca and Etteillias (yes, even the lost one). Snape had a Thoth, Sirius had a Bosch and a Dark Grimoire, Hagrid had a Druid (along with a Druid Animal Oracle), Luna Lovegood had a Shadowscapes, Draco had a Konxari handed down from Lucius (they don't need no stinkin' real tarot deck because they know everything being Death Eaters you know /arrogance), and ...

Anyone else care to have a go at who had what deck? Here are some links to help you in your imaginings:
List of Harry Potter characters
List of decks by theme

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with. :cool4:

firecatpickles

There are tarot cards in Harry Potter!

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Sybill_Trelawney

Sybill Trelawney uses them :)

509959_1281125873915_full.jpg

HallowedNight

Eeeee~ I'm so excited about this thread. It was actually a Harry Potter thing that got me into tarot in the first place! It was like...an essay about how the series represented the journey of the Fool, and it was so amazing... I wish I could find it again!

But anyway... I know a lot of people like in the HP world kind of look down on fortune telling, but maybe tarot decks would be seen more like offering advice or new perspectives as opposed to actual fortune telling. Maybe they'd even be enchanted somehow! Like imagine cards that float out of the deck on their own or like float over the table... That'd be sooooo awesome!

I'd love to see Prof. McGonagall with a tarot deck. She'd probably have something with animals, being an animagus and all. o wo

(him? - HN, been talking to you for days and still don't know - what pronoun should I use?)

Lololol~ Anything is fine, really. They/them works well. :^P

LindaMechele

There are tarot cards in Harry Potter!

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Sybill_Trelawney

Sybill Trelawney uses them :)

509959_1281125873915_full.jpg
I forgot about Trelawney! Didn't even remember her using tarot at all. She even accurately predicted Dumbledore's death via tarot! How could I forget that? So, what deck do you think she used, FireCatPickles? I just did a google image search for it and no luck. A Visconti maybe? Given to her from her g-g-grandmother Cassandra no less.

Eeeee~ I'm so excited about this thread. It was actually a Harry Potter thing that got me into tarot in the first place! It was like...an essay about how the series represented the journey of the Fool, and it was so amazing... I wish I could find it again!
I wish you could find it again, too! I'd love to read that. I have tomorrow off - I see me exercising my Google-Fu a LOT then if you can't find it.

But anyway... I know a lot of people like in the HP world kind of look down on fortune telling, but maybe tarot decks would be seen more like offering advice or new perspectives as opposed to actual fortune telling. Maybe they'd even be enchanted somehow! Like imagine cards that float out of the deck on their own or like float over the table... That'd be sooooo awesome!
AHHHHHHHH!!!! TOOOOO COOL! Or images that float out of the cards. You know how photos are animated in the Wizarding World - bet tarot card images would be animated, too! *pulls out her decks to look closely at the pictures and imagine them moving*

I'd love to see Prof. McGonagall with a tarot deck. She'd probably have something with animals, being an animagus and all. o wo
I forgot she was an animagus! A cat, right? Man, I need to re-read the books. I think I will, right after the Pratchett marathon I'm currently in the middle of (I'm reading them in order and only up to Moving Pictures, so that means I'll be done in ... oh ... about two years).

So, what deck did she have? Bohemian Cats? Pick a better one, HN. Bet you can't. *snicker* (Challenge accepted?)

Lololol~ Anything is fine, really. They/them works well. :^P
Then they/them it is. I want to be a they/them. I think I will be now. {*insert rainbow smilie here*}

HallowedNight

I wish you could find it again, too! I'd love to read that. I have tomorrow off - I see me exercising my Google-Fu a LOT then if you can't find it.

I'll have to keep looking! I think I read it on Tumblr, I hope it's not lost in Tumblr-space. ; -;

AHHHHHHHH!!!! TOOOOO COOL! Or images that float out of the cards. You know how photos are animated in the Wizarding World - bet tarot card images would be animated, too! *pulls out her decks to look closely at the pictures and imagine them moving*

THAT WOULD BE SO AMAZING! I'd love to see my Fantastical Creatures moving, phoenixes and unicorns and dragons jumping around~ Or seeing the characters of the Deviant Moon dancing in the moonlight... Oh man, that'd be so cool! :^DDDD

I forgot she was an animagus! A cat, right? Man, I need to re-read the books. I think I will, right after the Pratchett marathon I'm currently in the middle of (I'm reading them in order and only up to Moving Pictures, so that means I'll be done in ... oh ... about two years).

So, what deck did she have? Bohemian Cats? Pick a better one, HN. Bet you can't. *snicker* (Challenge accepted?)

That's a great one! Maybe the Tarot of Pagan Cats? I love that deck~ I could almost see her with the Wildwood as well. :)

Then they/them it is. I want to be a they/them. I think I will be now. {*insert rainbow smilie here*}

Yay! :^DDD

Bookwight

This is way too much fun. I take it we’re not worrying too much about publication dates? Otherwise most of these wouldn’t work. Anyway, some of my picks…

Arthur Weasley had the Baseball Tarot, the Bright Ideas, and the Cosmic Tribe, because he was told they’re all very Muggle decks. Molly took one look at the Cosmic Tribe and told him to get rid of it, so he kept it out in the shed.

Fred and George had the Kilted Rubber Chicken Tarot and the Get Some Therapy cards. Whether Fred owned the Chicken and George owned the Therapy, or the other way around, no one was ever really sure — including Arthur, who gave them the decks in the first place.

Ron had a battered (and singed) copy of the Dragon Tarot (Pracownik) that used to belong to his brother Charlie.

Neville had an old Marseilles deck that once belonged to his grandmother. Extremely valuable, but he lost The Star and the Three of Pentacles and was terrified of telling her.

Lavender Brown had the Crystal Visions.

Hermione had an original RWS, along with Waite’s book, which she memorised, and she also read every definitive book on the RWS published over the last century.

Professor Sprout had all the herb and plant decks.

Now for a few nasties…

Dolores Umbridge used Doreen Virtue decks. })

The Dark Lord had the HR Giger. (That Chariot card has his name aaalllll over it.)

:joke: :joke: Feel free to disagree with me on any of the above. :laugh:

JylliM

This is way too much fun. I take it we’re not worrying too much about publication dates? Otherwise most of these wouldn’t work. Anyway, some of my picks…

Arthur Weasley had the Baseball Tarot, the Bright Ideas, and the Cosmic Tribe, because he was told they’re all very Muggle decks. Molly took one look at the Cosmic Tribe and told him to get rid of it, so he kept it out in the shed.
Haha! Love the thought of Arthur Weasley with his 'tarot' stash in the shed.

Fred and George had the Kilted Rubber Chicken Tarot and the Get Some Therapy cards. Whether Fred owned the Chicken and George owned the Therapy, or the other way around, no one was ever really sure — including Arthur, who gave them the decks in the first place.

Ron had a battered (and singed) copy of the Dragon Tarot (Pracownik) that used to belong to his brother Charlie.

Neville had an old Marseilles deck that once belonged to his grandmother. Extremely valuable, but he lost The Star and the Three of Pentacles and was terrified of telling her.

Lavender Brown had the Crystal Visions.

She probably also had the Heart Tarot.

Hermione had an original RWS, along with Waite’s book, which she memorised, and she also read every definitive book on the RWS published over the last century.
Yes! And I think she probably also owned a Thoth, and read (and memorised) everything on that, too, just to cover that angle.
Professor Sprout had all the herb and plant decks.

Now for a few nasties…

And probably also White Cats.

The Dark Lord had the HR Giger. (That Chariot card has his name aaalllll over it.)

:joke: :joke: Feel free to disagree with me on any of the above. :laugh:

I think Hagrid would have had a Dragons Tarot. And possibly an Easy Tarot Kit hidden under the bed next to the Decameron ;).

Harry would've loved a Quidditch Tarot, but in the absence of one of those, he would have inherited Sirius' deck. Probably something well used and valuable.

firecatpickles

I wonder if we watched the scenes with Sybill if there are cards laying around in the background we could catch a glimpse of? All we need is a good shot of the card backs!

HallowedNight

Aahhhh, these are so good!

Now for a few nasties…

I can definitely see both of these... Not gonna lie, the Giger freaked me out when I firstvsaw it. XD Definitely a Voldy deck.

Are there any good dark witchy decks? I can totally see Bellatrix with something like that. Maybe the Ludy Lescot or Tarot of Vampyres.

Harry would've loved a Quidditch Tarot, but in the absence of one of those, he would have inherited Sirius' deck. Probably something well used and valuable.

I bet the Marauders made their own deck or two! Like the Marauders Map... Maybe they made like a 'funny' deck and a serious deck. I bet Harry would have gotten one of those eventually too! :^D

I wonder if we watched the scenes with Sybill if there are cards laying around in the background we could catch a glimpse of? All we need is a good shot of the card backs!

I've actually tried this and I've never seen anything... I wasn't looking super closely though. And I only looked at the third movie, none of the other ones. (The third is my favorite. :^P )

FLizarraga

All the choices are genius, but this one gave me the first good laugh of the day. (My tummy hurts.)