Self Readings and Drinking

blackmoonbee

I am curious if you all have a personal policy regarding drinking alcoholic beverages before or during self-readings. I read a book whose author had a policy against drinking alcohol and any caffeine before or during a reading because it would influence their intuitiveness etc.
Others thoughts? Personal policies?

baconwaffles

Well, caffeine is okay for me but I have noticed that when I drink before or during a reading my thoughts get muddled and my readings are sloppy. I don't get drunk or anything but even one drink changes my perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The crowned one

I think it would depend how much you use a system ( quantitative) vs, a sort of free form ( qualitative) style of reading. Personally I read just fine under a bottle of wine or a few beers for myself or others. The problem, it seems to me, reading for ones-self under the influence, is you have a lot to gain through making the reading fit the need, and we all know how our moral templates can shift with alcohol. So it would come down to your ability to see clearly and read honestly , hard at the best of times, for self reading.

AnemoneRosie

It depends on what my goal is.
There's something to be said for entertaining readings with cards and wine and friends. That said, I don't like being drunk, so I don't drink all that much. But it's still fun.

There's also something to be said about the sacred and the serious - in which case I would prefer for my mind to be unclouded. But, honestly, most people are affected by sleepiness or multitasking distractions just as much as by alcohol.

I find it much more difficult to read without tea. Tea, for me, is close to being crucial.

Papa Tango

This is likely to get me into deep trouble, but when seeking to access my deepest levels of thinking a bit of the "devil's weed" is profoundly helpful. A buzz from some Sour Diesel, some patchouli incense, a bit of candlelight, and some time with card images can clear up a number of questions for me--and lend remarkable clarity to how I might be getting in my own way...

Your mileage may vary with this.... :p

blackmoonbee

It depends on what my goal is.
There's something to be said for entertaining readings with cards and wine and friends. That said, I don't like being drunk, so I don't drink all that much. But it's still fun.

There's also something to be said about the sacred and the serious - in which case I would prefer for my mind to be unclouded. But, honestly, most people are affected by sleepiness or multitasking distractions just as much as by alcohol.

I find it much more difficult to read without tea. Tea, for me, is close to being crucial.

Right, I couldn't imagine being drunk or even for myself too tipsy and trying to read which is pretty much a similar physical response to sleep deprivation and multi-tasking (as you mentioned).
I definitely have to echo your tea sentiments. Tea is a must and coffee is good to go depending on the time of day.

blackmoonbee

This is likely to get me into deep trouble, but when seeking to access my deepest levels of thinking a bit of the "devil's weed" is profoundly helpful. A buzz, some patchouli incense, a bit of candlelight, and some time with card images can clear up a number of questions for me--and lend remarkable clarity to how I might be getting in my own way...

Your mileage may vary with this.... :p

Right- I intentionally didn't ask about weed because I thought perhaps that would be more common for some folk, especially giving some of the mind clearing and relaxing results of its use for SOME people. So yes again to each their own!

I was on a skype call with my favorite Tarot reader before my reading and she's setting up and suddenly with excitement she yells to her roommate "I found the weed!" and I thought to myself- makes so much sense. :)

Papa Tango

BMB, that is funny! :joke:

An alternative is a nice glass of Chardonnay, Merlot, or something similar. Reading for yourself or someone else whilst drunk on your bum is not a successful strategy to anything. If considered well, it is a path to focused failure... :p

What is of most importance is to place onself into an environment--both physically and cognitively--that lends itself to honest self appraisal and/or delivery of empathetic and understanding advice to others.

blackmoonbee

BMB, that is funny! :joke:

An alternative is a nice glass of Chardonnay, Merlot, or something similar. Reading for yourself or someone else whilst drunk on your bum is not a successful strategy to anything. If considered well, it is a path to focused failure... :p

What is of most importance is to place onself into an environment--both physically and cognitively--that lends itself to honest self appraisal and/or delivery of empathetic and understanding advice to others.

Indeed. :)

DownUnderNZer

I do not really drink a lot or do drugs nor smoke.

But that is just a personal choice not because of reading or not. However, I would never do one if strongly "under the influence" of anything. I think that would be wrong especially if face to face.

DND :)