I forgot what stones I have!

rainboweve

After being separated from my crystals for a VERY long time, I finally found them! The only two crystals I ever knew where they actually were, were my amethyst and clear quartz. I found my other stones today however and was able to identify blue lace agate, hematite, citrine, and moonstone but I have no idea what the other three are!

One of them is *I think* could be Tiger's Eye - but it is very red in color, I am not sure how common that is. It is a dark red-brown color and has lighter bands of the same color running throughout. Another stone is a very pale yellow with white bands throughout the stone - at first I thought it was sunstone, but when I looked up sunstone, I saw that they are generally more orange in color. I thought it could be yellow lace agate based on what my blue laced agate looks like but it doesn't appear to be that either. Lastly I have a small stone that is nearly pure white in color - haven't the faintest idea of what that one is. :)

Your help in identifying these stones is greatly appreciated. I will try and post a picture of the mystery white stone later today or tomorrow :)

shelikes2read

If you're able to post a photo to a hosting service (I use photobucket.com), then share the link to the photo(s) here, that would be helpful.

I have Tiger's Eye in multiple different colors, including a reddish-brown shade. Does your stone look like any of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=tig...JHLOysQT0jYDoDQ&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=799 Tiger's Eye has fibrous inclusions in it that are reflective, that cause the reflection to seem to move as the angle of the light changes.

rainboweve

If you're able to post a photo to a hosting service (I use photobucket.com), then share the link to the photo(s) here, that would be helpful.

I have Tiger's Eye in multiple different colors, including a reddish-brown shade. Does your stone look like any of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=tig...JHLOysQT0jYDoDQ&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=799 Tiger's Eye has fibrous inclusions in it that are reflective, that cause the reflection to seem to move as the angle of the light changes.

I will post photos tomorrow morning, when I can get some natural light to photograph the stones in, to show their colors better. What I think is my Tiger's Eye does look like those stones in that it has the bands, it is just very, very dark. Are there any other dark banded stones that it might be?

shelikes2read

I will post photos tomorrow morning, when I can get some natural light to photograph the stones in, to show their colors better. What I think is my Tiger's Eye does look like those stones in that it has the bands, it is just very, very dark. Are there any other dark banded stones that it might be?

I have three different colors of tumbled Tiger's Eye stones. Some have the light-yellow-brown that seems to be the most common; some are a deeper reddish-brown, and some are even gray-and-black. So my impression is that it's the fibrous inclusions, which reflect the light differently based on the angle of viewing, that make the stone a Tiger's Eye. The name of that particular reflective property is chatoyancy.

rainboweve

Okay, now that is a new day I was finally able to get a picture of my stones in a natural light setting. I would have posted sooner but I couldn't find my camera cord... but it is now found ;)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q229/ibiikya/008_zps8fd5a539.jpg

I noticed that in the natural light the one that I thought was pure white under artificial light actually has a bit of a blue tint to it. The largest stone is a pale yellow and the one I thought might be Tiger's Eye is a dark reddish brown.

rainboweve

I am thinking that the white/light bluish stone might be holly blue chalcedony? I thought it was something that started with a C, anyway, but I kept thinking calcite. Seems like it could be either one, actually :\

KristinCali

The white looks like moonstone, the reddish one looks like tigers eye. The blue one looks a bit too light to be chalcedony, no clue on that one.

rainboweve

The white looks like moonstone, the reddish one looks like tigers eye. The blue one looks a bit too light to be chalcedony, no clue on that one.

The white one is not white, it is actually a very pale yellow. :) I think we have successfully identified the dark one as tiger's eye, however. Thanks. :)

stonesatiety

I've seen a lot of moonstone that looks like the white-yellow stone. I have small, light-blue stones and a sphere that look like the little blue. They are blue calcite. I'm not so sure of the red tiger eye. Maybe it's just the picture. Regardless of color, rough or polished, my tiger eyes show chatoyancy everywhere. I don't see that in the lighter bands here. If not, agate comes to mind.

These stones seem happy that you found them again!

rainboweve

I've seen a lot of moonstone that looks like the white-yellow stone. I have small, light-blue stones and a sphere that look like the little blue. They are blue calcite. I'm not so sure of the red tiger eye. Maybe it's just the picture. Regardless of color, rough or polished, my tiger eyes show chatoyancy everywhere. I don't see that in the lighter bands here. If not, agate comes to mind.

These stones seem happy that you found them again!

Thanks for this - my red tiger's eye actually does show a lot of chatoyancy, it's just the photo that makes it look plain and dull. :) So I am pretty sure it is red tiger's eye. I also believe that the light blue stone is probably calcite, as chalcedony seems to run a bit darker in the color spectrum. About the yellow stone, though - I know for sure that it is not moonstone, as it was labeled as something completely different when I bought it, I just don't remember what that was. I think this photo is just really poor lighting to show the yellow coloring - it isn't the "yellowish" tone of moonstone, it's a solid yellow.

Thanks for your input, and I hope they are happy! :D