Andara crystals? Something looks wrong here

shelikes2read

So I was searching through the metaphysical section on eBay, just for kicks. I ran across a listing for something that looks just like a shard of bright blue glass, and another listing for what appeared to be a shard of bright green glass, right down to the conchoidal shape of the fractures on one side.

The listings were both called Andara crystals, something of which I had never heard. So I resorted to my old friend Google.

Seems that in the google info, it's referred to as "Andara crystal-glass", and all the information was channeled stories of its connection to Lemuria.

I hate to sound like a Negative Nelly, but I can't help but point out that CRYSTAL and GLASS are entirely different substances. Natural crystals form according to regular geometric shapes (even the cryptocrystalline forms like jasper where the crystals are too small to be seen with the naked eye), and it forms slowly. Glass is formed quickly, when a molten substance hardens before it has time to assume a crystalline structure. It's either one or the other, but it can't be both.

I don't want to disappoint anybody who has turned their attention to this substance -- and I HAVE said in the past that there are metaphysical uses for some glass items -- but I am not buying this Andara Crystal-Glass story. It is looking a whole lot like a manmade, modern substance to me. Mother Nature does not produce brilliantly-hued, perfectly evenly-colored substances like this.

Caveat Emptor.

Padma

I had read both sides of this - a) that it is amazingly healing and curative, and that b) it is all made of slag heap glass, and is a massive con job.

I prefer my crystals :)

wildchilde

I have never heard of this until now. I can tell you from personal experience, never ever trust an ebay seller's word...always do your own due diligence just like SL2R has done here. (I'm not knocking ebay sellers...I buy from many reputable ones) From my point of view, this would have as much healing property as a coca-cola bottle, and is probably made from them.

Very interesting. I did a web search, and I like this web site the best:

http://naturetospirit.com/andara.html

This ticks me off...why is this crap always passed off on 'the native american'...we didn't have anything to do with this.

If anyone wants to hear what the mineralogists are saying, here's a good primer on what this is made from, plus a couple of good laughs over unicorn dust LOL :

http://www.mindat.org/mesg-55-291045.html

Padma

thanks, Wildchilde, that was exactly what I thought - and I knew it was nothing to do with our respective tribes!

shelikes2read

I notice that the website just says the generic "Native American", instead of focusing on the nations who actually populate the area around the supposed crystal site. Of course they don't specify the actual nations who claimed these "crystals" were sacred or valid -- because when they got wind of this scheme, the elders and leaders of those nations would come out and denounce this false proclamation on the spot.

I'm *not* a Native American, but these nonsense claims burn me up, too. First of all, spreading lies is just wrong because it's wrong. Second, the more bogus claims are out there, the harder it is to find real and valid information spoken by real people to HELP real people. The people who spew falsehoods in order to make a quick buck just make life harder for everyone, everywhere. And from where I sit, life is already hard enough without having to sift through mountains of nonsense in search of the honest things that will help people.

Briar Rose

well written. I agree!!!