UNDER THE ROSES US GAMES ED

EmpressArwen

I just found out that this is on it's way to me! My kiddos and my husband purchased a few things that I had on my amazon wishlist for my bday. I'm very excited, especially after reading your review.

I've never owned a Lenormand deck before. A whole new world!! :)

greatdane

Oh I hope you enjoy it EmpressArwen!

For a new reader, there are a few cards that were changed slightly, but I see them with the same meaning. The COFFIN has become the GRAVE, which I actually really like and had no problems adjusting to, and there are a few others, but the essence was the same to me. I think it is an easy reader, the images are large and there is not a lot of busyness about them. I find the tones in the deck pleasing. I like it more than I thought I would. I thought it had more of a young person vibe (young to me is under 30 :))) in the style, not that there is a young or old style, but it has a modern feel to it in spite of having a kind of Victorian theme. But it is becoming a favorite and I did all my readings today with it in Lenormand Readings.

I HOPE YOU SHARE what you think, Empress!

EmpressArwen

For a new reader, there are a few cards that were changed slightly, but I see them with the same meaning. The COFFIN has become the GRAVE, which I actually really like and had no problems adjusting to, and there are a few others, but the essence was the same to me. I think it is an easy reader, the images are large and there is not a lot of busyness about them. I find the tones in the deck pleasing. I like it more than I thought I would. I thought it had more of a young person vibe (young to me is under 30 :))) in the style, not that there is a young or old style, but it has a modern feel to it in spite of having a kind of Victorian theme. But it is becoming a favorite and I did all my readings today with it in Lenormand Readings.

I HOPE YOU SHARE what you think, Empress!

I absolutely will let you know what I think. I'm now doing lots of online research about Lenormand. Pretty fascinating stuff. I love the Tarot for how deep it goes, they way it speaks to me. This feels like it will be very different, more immediate, more concise?

greatdane

Exactly, EmpressArwen!

I LOVE tarot and Lenormand, there is no contest. They are both very different and yet can complement each other. I have done a back to back tarot and Lenormand reading for a friend to get different aspects for them.

Part of the beauty of Lenormand decks, INCLUDING the UNDER THE ROSES, is that as long as I see the image, or a very similar one, it is basically the same regarding it's description. I have a few meanings for most cards, but the one I use depends on where the card is in the layout and the question.

SO BACK to the topic of UNDER THE ROSES, COFFIN I still see as an ending, sometimes a separation, even though it is the GRAVE in this deck. The JOURNAL as the BOOK, no problem making the jump from the BOOK to the JOURNAL as something not yet known.

AND this edition, that has keywords kind of hidden in the background (although I am nearsighted and don't see them when I lay out the cards :), I didn't need or want them), may actually be very advantageous to someone just learning.

That is why I started this thread, to find out more about the US GAMES edition and I am so glad I got it! I don't like superfluous details and I saw the possible meanings in the background as just extra stuff, but you don't see them unless you're looking for them. It works well for me. I have been using it for most of the readings I've done here the last two days.

Glass Owl

First, LOVE the card stock. This is about the easiest card stock I've ever worked with.

Nicely printed. I think it is a very quality deck for very little money.

I received this beauty the other day and I am really impressed. I don't think that the scans of it do it justice. I agree, the cards shuffle easily and I love the deck size. It fits so well in my hands. Plus, I really enjoy the colors and style of the illustrations, it is soothing on my eyes.

Lee

This deck looks very attractive, but one card gives me pause -- the Whip (or whatever its name is in this deck). I'm not a purist, and I don't mind modifications of the images like making the Coffin into the Grave. But to my mind, the woman with the whip brings sex to the forefront and minimizes other possible meanings.

In general, where the standard images show only an object, I don't like to see a scene with a person interacting with that object, like this deck's Whip card or the Postmark's Scythe card. One exception is the Antiquarian's Snake card, which shows a snake wrapped around a woman. To me this seems acceptable, because the corresponding playing card is a Queen, and one of the traditional interpretations is a woman.

Does anyone else have this kind of concern about the Whip card in this deck?

Edited to add: Looking again at online images, I have the same concern about the Ring card. My attention is drawn to the hand and the rose. If I were new to Lenormand and didn't look at the card title, I would never have even known that the card was about a ring.

greatdane

I understand what you're saying, Lee

The WHIP card did seem a bit out of place period. This deck is kind of touted to be Victorian in style and there is a fairly modern looking dominatrix! The RING I also understand as it's not the MOST visible image in the deck.

The pluses outweighed these things for me (plus the change in some images, the LOCKET for HEART, GRAVE for COFFIN).

I had the same type of issues for the MYSTICAL.

But as I see certain cards a certain way, as long as they are not TOO far off, I just see the meaning I have in my head for them. It's like flipping that switch when I first see the cards.

I just like this deck overall more than I thought. As GLASS OWL mentioned, such great card stock and I like the size. And those backs! Backs matter to me and I love seeing those roses!

MADAME SQUEE is making me a custom case for this deck :).

daphne

I've got it. Nice.

I would prefer the title margin smaller, no need so wide.

actually, I like the idea of background description. Very much. But the written background I wanted more prominent.
Now it is indeed really really faded, hardly anything to read, especially in cards like "ring" where the art occupies almost all the card space.

greatdane

I think they were trying to please everyone with that, Daphne

I don't like key words on cards, Lenormand, tarot, any oracle. Some do. So I think they made it this way so that those who did want them, would have to really look to see them and those who didn't, like me, wouldn't really notice them (I don't, I'm nearsighted so when I lay the cards out, I just see the color of the background).

I think it would be lovely if they made more of the original mini without borders or keywords, but the image is just as large because they basically trimmed off the borders from what I could see in the scans. But really I'm fine with this one. It's a good size to shuffle and love the feel of the card stock.

EmpressArwen

I just received these! They are so adorable....and very very tiny. lol I'm used to big Tarot decks so I wasn't prepared for how small these are. I was afraid that I didn't get the LWB but it's the size of the cards! :)

I really like the look and feel of these and am excited to learn this system. I'm really happy with the purchase. I will let you know how I'm doing as I get further into it.