Which way the significators facing in a GT ?

Sharla

When reading a GT does anyone go by which way there significator card (man/woman) is actually facing to read the past/future ?

As in my deck I'm using my lady card faces to the left, so would this mean whatever is to the left of her is the future and not the right.

Or does it not matter which way they are facing and to still read left as past, and right as future ?

Barleywine

When reading a GT does anyone go by which way there significator card (man/woman) is actually facing to read the past/future ?

As in my deck I'm using my lady card faces to the left, so would this mean whatever is to the left of her is the future and not the right.

Or does it not matter which way they are facing and to still read left as past, and right as future ?

Personally, I don't pay any attention to "facing." In the GT I generally don't read left-to-right as PPF; I follow Andy Boroveshengra's (andybc here) method in which "right" is more significant to the outcome (with upper-right the most) and "left" is less significant (with lower-left the least). "Above" is what the querent has less influence over, and "below" is more within the querent's control. Then I use the "distance method" for the more important combinations. I do use PPF in line spreads but still don't use "facing;" it's always left-to-right.

kalliope

Personally, I don't like using which way ANY of the cards face in Lenormand, so I don't use the facing direction of the significators, either. I prefer to just know that cards to the left or right of a certain card mean something or other. (i.e. left or right of the Mice or Scythe or whatever, regardless of the picture.) That way, my method doesn't have to change with the deck I use if cards face differently. And what happens if you get a pretty contemporary deck that has the significators facing forward and not to the side? I'd just rather learn left/right and be done with it. :p

If you want to use PPF in your grand tableaus (and not everyone does, as Barleywine said), you should just decide how you want to handle it and stick to it. Use facings every time, or use left/right for PPF every time. I think either can work, but you have to really commit to it. Are you learning primarily from one teacher or book? I'd consider going with that teacher's method if I were you, to make things more consistent and less confusing.

Sharla

Personally, I don't pay any attention to "facing." In the GT I generally don't read left-to-right as PPF; I follow Andy Boroveshengra's (andybc here) method in which "right" is more significant to the outcome (with upper-right the most) and "left" is less significant (with lower-left the least). "Above" is what the querent has less influence over, and "below" is more within the querent's control. Then I use the "distance method" for the more important combinations. I do use PPF in line spreads but still don't use "facing;" it's always left-to-right.

Ive never really paid attention before to which way the significator is facing ive always read left past and right future. Ive got Andy b's book on kindle, but not read it thoroughly as of yet, maybe i need to. Whats PPF ?

I ended up coming across a Linda goodman site which has Lenormand readers on, and someone on there was going on about reading which ever way the significator is facing, which made me think if this was correct.

I'll try and find the link.

http://www.linda-goodman.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/014880-10.html its the 7th comment down by the name Vesta.

Sharla

Personally, I don't like using which way ANY of the cards face in Lenormand, so I don't use the facing direction of the significators, either. I prefer to just know that cards to the left or right of a certain card mean something or other. (i.e. left or right of the Mice or Scythe or whatever, regardless of the picture.) That way, my method doesn't have to change with the deck I use if cards face differently. And what happens if you get a pretty contemporary deck that has the significators facing forward and not to the side? I'd just rather learn left/right and be done with it. :p

If you want to use PPF in your grand tableaus (and not everyone does, as Barleywine said), you should just decide how you want to handle it and stick to it. Use facings every time, or use left/right for PPF every time. I think either can work, but you have to really commit to it. Are you learning primarily from one teacher or book? I'd consider going with that teacher's method if I were you, to make things more consistent and less confusing.

I dont know what PPF means.

Im not going by one teacher or book. Ive got Rana georges book and Andy b's, i also look online for information and then i just use bits i want to use from different sources.

Barleywine

Ive never really paid attention before to which way the significator is facing ive always read left past and right future. Ive got Andy b's book on kindle, but not read it thoroughly as of yet, maybe i need to. Whats PPF ?

I ended up coming across a Linda goodman site which has Lenormand readers on, and someone on there was going on about reading which ever way the significator is facing, which made me think if this was correct.

I'll try and find the link.

http://www.linda-goodman.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/014880-10.html its the 7th comment down by the name Vesta.

PPF means "Past-Present-Future." Present would be the column containing the Significator. I think the idea of "facing" is a carry-over from tarot, but I don't use it for the Significator there, either.

Sharla

PPF means "Past-Present-Future." Present would be the column containing the Significator. I think the idea of "facing" is a carry-over from tarot, but I don't use it for the Significator there, either.

Oh of course "past, present, future, yes !! >brain fog<

Yes it does seem a bit like Tarot to use them that way. Im just going to do what ive been doing and forget which way they are facing. Even though in my deck its a little off putting when they are infact facing the opposite way lol.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1qIv4uAak...w/jdM6hn6RssY/s1600/Under+the+Roses+28-29.jpg

Barleywine

Oh of course "past, present, future, yes !! >brain fog<

Yes it does seem a bit like Tarot to use them that way. Im just going to do what ive been doing and forget which way they are facing. Even though in my deck its a little off putting when they are infact facing the opposite way lol.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1qIv4uAak...w/jdM6hn6RssY/s1600/Under+the+Roses+28-29.jpg

If I think about it at all, I just suppose they're looking at something in the room or immediate vicinity, not peering back into the mists of time. The same argument about "facing" goes for looking at, for example, which way the Fox (or any other human or animal image) is facing. Some writers have advised just considering the meaning and not the specifics of the picture.

Sharla

If I think about it at all, I just suppose they're looking at something in the room or immediate vicinity, not peering back into the mists of time. The same argument about "facing" goes for looking at, for example, which way the Fox (or any other human or animal image) is facing. Some writers have advised just considering the meaning and not the specifics of the picture.

Yes I've heard that about fox, I've got it wrote down somewhere something about the card the fox is facing he is going to betray and the card behind the fox is what he's sneaked away from... Something like that.

Speaking of significators whats your take on a significator directly above a significator in a GT ?

Barleywine

Speaking of significators whats your take on a significator directly above a significator in a GT ?

Some people think that cards above the querent's significator are in the waking consciousness, or "on the mind" of the querent, while those below are in the querent's subconscious. Others think that the cards above exert more of an influence on the querent, while the querent can bring more influence to bear on those below. Since I don't inject much in the way of psychological meaning into Lenormand interpretation, I would go with the latter. The person represented by the significator above would be in a strongly influential position of some sort regarding the querent.