Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group - 4. House

Lee

Welcome to the Essential Lenormand by Rana George Study Group!

Introduction: The purpose of this study group is to study Rana George's reading examples from her book, The Essential Lenormand. We'll examine, ask questions about, and comment on Rana's interpretations of her example readings, create our own alternative interpretations of those readings while using Rana's lists of meanings, and interpret new readings using Rana's meanings.

Rules: Participation is open to everyone who owns a copy of the book. Ownership of the book is necessary because in order to study Rana's interpretations, we need to operate from a common base, and for copyright reasons we can't simply post Rana's lists of meanings.

Participants aren't expected to have read the entire book or to be experts or highly proficient in reading Lenormand. Members at all levels of ability are welcome. Hopefully participants will have read the book's introductory material and understand basic Lenormand concepts such as how Lenormand reading is different than tarot reading and how multiple cards can be combined into sentences.

The presence of this group doesn't imply a position on my or the Forum's part that this book's meanings and methods should take precedence over any other meanings or methods. The reason for creating the group is my feeling that focusing on one particular author's meanings/methods would be helpful for learning. Participants are obviously free to use other meanings/methods outside of this group. Anyone is welcome to start other study groups studying different meanings/methods, just contact me and I'll help get it going.

While posting in this group, however, all participants must adhere to the meanings listed in the book. Meanings can be extrapolated, for example you could use "a bill" as a meaning for the Letter even though that specific word isn't listed in the book, because it's clear from the listed meanings that any kind of document can be included. But if you use a meaning which has no clear connection to one of Rana's meanings, I'll ask that you edit your post to change that meaning, otherwise the post will be deleted.

If you notice another participant using a non-Rana meaning, the proper action is to contact me, either by PM or by use of the Post Report button (the red-and-white triangle with exclamation point at the bottom left of every post), and I will make the determination. Participants are not allowed to post that other participants' interpretations are "wrong" or to criticize them. This is a zero tolerance policy and all such posts criticizing other posters will be deleted. Again, if you feel another participant isn't following the rules, the proper response is to contact me.

The Process: Each thread will cover a single reading example from a card chapter, and we'll work our way card-by-card, in order, through the book. In each thread I'll post three exercises. You don't have to do all three exercises. You can choose to do one, two, or all three, as you wish.

In Exercise A, I'll post from the book the question and Rana's cards. We'll look at and discuss Rana's interpretation, ask questions, make comments, point out interesting things.

In Exercise B, we'll take the same question and cards but formulate a different interpretation. As we all know, the same cards in any cartomantic system can always be interpreted differently by different people, yet still validly. The point here though is to limit the interpretive possibilities to Rana's own lists of meanings.

Exercise C would entail my posting a new combination of cards (including the card that's the focus of the thread) which we could all try our hand at interpreting, again using Rana's meanings to put together the interpretation.

Members can do any one of the three exercises, or all of them, whatever they like.

Combining Cards: Although restricted to Rana's meanings, members can combine the cards as they wish. However, for those members who are interested in exploring more structured ways of combining cards, please read the Guidelines for Combining Cards thread. Feel free to use those guidelines when doing these exercises, and, if you wish, point out in your post which you're using.

Don't forget to have fun! :)

Lee

Exercise A: Rana's Interpretation

Question: No question (her client refused to ask a question).

9 Bouquet + 4 House + 34 Fish + 14 Fox + 11 Whip

Rana's interpretation: Bouquet (beauty) + House+Fish (home business) + Fox+Whip (argumentative employee) = Dispute with employee at client's home-based beauty salon.

My comment: This is a good example of combining cards and then combining the combinations. So we have House+Fish (home business), then all of that is combined with Bouquet (beauty) to result in a home-based beauty salon.

Together with the disputatious employee, it amounts to an extremely specific interpretation. However, Rana didn't just jump in with the full-blown interpretation; rather, she first looks at House+Fish and asks the client, "Do you work for yourself from your home?" When the client responds, "Yes, I run a hair salon from my house," the reading proceeds from there.

Note: To do Exercise A, simply post any thoughts, comments, or questions about Rana's interpretation.

Exercise B: Alternate Interpretation
(Since the client hadn't asked a question, we're free to come up with any interpretation, without a predetermined context.)

9 Bouquet + 4 House + 34 Fish + 14 Fox + 11 Whip

The efforts to remodel (Bouquet) the house (House) will be costly (Fish) -- the contractor (Fish) will overcharge (Fox), causing arguments (Whip) about the cost (Fish).

Note: To do Exercise B, simply post a new interpretation of these cards. You can combine the cards any way you like, but you must use the meanings in the book.

Exercise C:

Let's try a new reading involving House:

Question:
Your ex-husband calls and wants to see you about something. What does he want?

21 Mountain + 4 House + 26 Book + 27 Letter + 15 Bear

Note: To do Exercise C, simply post your reading of these cards. You can combine the cards any way you like, but you must use the meanings in the book.