Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Questions for making my own deck

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation


 
LadySerpentine  LadySerpentine is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 05 Jul 2015
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5
LadySerpentine 
Resident
Question Questions for making my own deck


A few days ago I began crafting my own deck. The problem is that I really didn't know where yo start. I have the backs of the cards done and one and a half of the face cards, but ran out of paint. So until I get more, I'm gonna try to see if anyone here can help me. I hope this was okay to do, but I took some of my old Naruto cards and spraypainted their backs gold and the front of the cards a plain white. I am now hand painting each card (to the best of my ability) with acrylic paint. I wanted to keep the theme something close to me but also had trouble choosing one topic to go with. I finally settled on just a 'Fandom' deck ( I'm a bit of a geek). With each card I choose 2 symbolistic things from one of my fandoms that match the meaning of the card. I just wanted to know if that's okay. That is, the way I'm going about it.
Top   #1
HudsonGray's Avatar
HudsonGray  HudsonGray is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 26 Apr 2002
Location: I childproofed my house but they still get in.
Posts: 5,162
HudsonGray 
Citizen

HudsonGray's Avatar

Any way you try it is OK, really. I've heard of people taping over standard playing cards, and doing their deck on scratch paper, so anything goes.

Have fun with making it, post a few pictures if you can.
Top   #2
LadySerpentine  LadySerpentine is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 05 Jul 2015
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5
LadySerpentine 
Resident
Smile


The sun card is the only one I have done, and can be viewed on my DeviantArt. http://draconisloreli.deviantart.com...253A1436034454
Top   #3
Girl Archer  Girl Archer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 10 Dec 2010
Location: Beneath the starry skies, what I call my own.
Posts: 5,428
Girl Archer 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySerpentine View Post
The sun card is the only one I have done, and can be viewed on my DeviantArt. http://draconisloreli.deviantart.com...253A1436034454
That's gorgeous I felt an instant beam of sunshine looking at your card, what is the grey/blue part of the card? Is that the reverse of it? Are you making a deck with upright and rx images both in the same card? Like Revelations by Zach Wong?
Top   #4
Alta's Avatar
Alta  Alta is offline
Golden Silvery Dionna
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,056
Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta's Avatar

No reason that you couldn't! Was there a reason that you made The Sun card VIII? Just curious.
Top   #5
LadySerpentine  LadySerpentine is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 05 Jul 2015
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5
LadySerpentine 
Resident
Talking


Firstly, to Girl Archer, the gray is actually silver to counter-act the gold on the top, and I really felt that doing a double top/bottom for the cards would fit the personality of the deck better. Secondly, thanks! I'm glad that i'm not alone in my sentiment. That's actually what brings me to to answering the you, Alta. I was originally going to make this Strength, and went ahead and painted the number on incase I had to stop early. However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^
Top   #6
Alta's Avatar
Alta  Alta is offline
Golden Silvery Dionna
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,056
Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySerpentine View Post
However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^
You'll look at that number and smile when you use it.
Top   #7
Girl Archer  Girl Archer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 10 Dec 2010
Location: Beneath the starry skies, what I call my own.
Posts: 5,428
Girl Archer 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySerpentine View Post
Firstly, to Girl Archer, the gray is actually silver to counter-act the gold on the top, and I really felt that doing a double top/bottom for the cards would fit the personality of the deck better. Secondly, thanks! I'm glad that i'm not alone in my sentiment. That's actually what brings me to to answering the you, Alta. I was originally going to make this Strength, and went ahead and painted the number on incase I had to stop early. However, by the time I got the crest of courage (Digimon reference) painted on it just felt like it would be happier as the sun. I decided to leave the number VIII as a bit of memory for that moment. ^-^
Sounds cool! All the best with your deck
Top   #8
shadowdancer's Avatar
shadowdancer  shadowdancer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 31 Oct 2004
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 4,850
shadowdancer 
Citizen

shadowdancer's Avatar

Absolutely all the best. I know what you are going through - you will have a rollercoaster ride for sure, but the end result will be deeply satisfying.

My advice?
Set yourself a target deadline. Having done a couple of cards or so, you will be able to figure out how much time each week you need to dedicate to the art.
If it is too much, just extend the deadline accordingly.

THEN STICK TO IT!

That way, you know you will finish it. If I hadn't done that, and just wombled along as and when I felt the urge I would still be working on the deck in 12 months time. Trust me, the task of painting 80 pictures is huge. I felt like I hit the wall the marathon runners hit at around the 30 card mark.

Be prepared to revisit early cards. I found once I had passed the 2/3 mark, I was not happy with early attempts. I grew into the deck if that makes sense. With that, I knew what I wanted to do to the early cards to improve them and make them more in line with the bulk of the deck.

Be careful of over tweaking once you finished the deck. I still find I do it (or want to do it) but that in itself would be a never ending task, and what you see as a blemish or something that could be improved turns out to be so darned minor and of no consequence in the big picture of things.

So, good luck. Keep going. Keep smiling. Be kind to yourself. Have plenty of wine and chocolate on standby

Davina
Top   #9
LadySerpentine  LadySerpentine is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 05 Jul 2015
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 5
LadySerpentine 
Resident
Smile


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
Absolutely all the best. I know what you are going through - you will have a rollercoaster ride for sure, but the end result will be deeply satisfying.

My advice?
Set yourself a target deadline. Having done a couple of cards or so, you will be able to figure out how much time each week you need to dedicate to the art.
If it is too much, just extend the deadline accordingly.

THEN STICK TO IT!

That way, you know you will finish it. If I hadn't done that, and just wombled along as and when I felt the urge I would still be working on the deck in 12 months time. Trust me, the task of painting 80 pictures is huge.

So, good luck. Keep going. Keep smiling. Be kind to yourself. Have plenty of wine and chocolate on standby

Davina
Thanks for the advice! I hope to have them done before the end of August, but can't continue working on then until Tuesday, when I can buy more paint. I have a mostly complete battle plan for the moment, but if all else fails I will at least get the Major Arcana done befor the next semester starts. Once my birthday comes around this month I'll definitely try adding wine to my chocolate. ;D
Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.