Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

IMNOT TAROT DECK

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation

Resident

imnot 
Resident
IMNOT TAROT DECK

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here but I'm not new to the forum, as I've been studying tarot for a few years now.

I've recently worked on my own deck and would love to hear your opinion.

HERE'S THE PICTURES:

http://payload368.cargocollective.co.../DECK_1000.png
http://payload368.cargocollective.co...FOTO2_1000.png
http://payload368.cargocollective.co...FOTO3_1000.png

(You can see more photos of details and work in progress here https://instagram.com/imnot_____/ )

ABOUT THE DECK:

It's a majors only for now, but I do intend to add the minors in the future.
Just not sure what kind yet (I like non-illustrated pips).

It's not based on traditional decks, though I followed a similar structure to one of my favourites: El Gran Tarot Esoterico.

The Fool is not first nor last. It is unnumbered and placed 21st.
But I think the metaphor of the journey still applies.

Also, the deck is not finished. I printed one sample from MakePlayingCards but I'm not happy with some cards,
which I'm thinking to re-illustrate (XII, XVII) or adjust (VII, XIV, XX).

I'm open to any suggestion.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

OnePotato 
Citizen

Very nice work.
Very well drawn, and particularly nice, clean layout & graphic handling.

The black back seems a bit heavy, and while I like that it's set apart from the fronts, it might work slightly better in a 60% - 70% grey, or a relatively neutral color like blue-grey or brown, that would lighten it a little.

But as I said, it's very nice.
Bravo!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Resident

EvMaeve 
Resident

First off, your illustrations are just beautiful. Really nice work here. I love how you've taken traditional tarot images, re-worked the titles and themes, and distilled them into such simple, expressive images. This looks very polished as is, but of the ones you mentioned changing, The Chariot and Sacrifice stand out to me because I don't think I'd get the themes behind them from these illustrations without having a background in the cards' traditional meanings. I glean more intuitively from the other images. Composition wise, the Star looks great on its own, but less balanced than the other cards when you look at them all together. I like the card back. The only other thing I can say, is that if something bothers you about an illustration now, take the time to sit on it. Set it aside for a couple weeks and come back to it later. Maybe do a couple mock-ups for alternate versions. If it bugs you now, odds are it will bug you forever. Clearly, you have an excellent eye and honed skills, so trust your gut. This is such a strong collection, and I really look forward to seeing what you do with it. Beautiful!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

Ica'rus 
Citizen

This is a Wonderful looking deck! I absolutely love the design, colors, and artwork. I don't know if you plan to make any changes but even Majors only I would love to get my hands on this. I will be following with interest, especially as you design the pips!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Resident

imnot 
Resident

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post
The black back seems a bit heavy, and while I like that it's set apart from the fronts, it might work slightly better in a 60% - 70% grey, or a relatively neutral color like blue-grey or brown, that would lighten it a little.
I actually made a lighter version of the back, but when printed it resulted way too light, so I guess something in the middle as you suggested is definitely worth a try!

http://payload368.cargocollective.co...t-13.07.09.png
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Resident

imnot 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMaeve View Post
This looks very polished as is, but of the ones you mentioned changing, The Chariot and Sacrifice stand out to me because I don't think I'd get the themes behind them from these illustrations without having a background in the cards' traditional meanings. I glean more intuitively from the other images.
This is really interesting. I know I rushed myself when I was drawing those cards, I also know they're two cards I don't quite understand in the same way as others. It's almost as if I'm missing something, that insight that would give me a good starting point for the illustrations.

I'll probably need to spend more time on these and go back to the design only when I have a better grasp.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Resident

imnot 
Resident

(Sorry I haven't quite figured out how to quote everyone in one reply, if that's even possible?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ica'rus View Post
I don't know if you plan to make any changes but even Majors only I would love to get my hands on this. I will be following with interest, especially as you design the pips!
That's great to hear! I'd love to print more copies once I get all majors sorted, I'm also considering doing a kickstarter at some point but before that it's probably best to start with the minors and see how that goes...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Resident

elektrius 
Resident

IMNOT TAROT DECK

beautiful! really nice feel to them, also looking forward to seeing the whole deck come to life, minors and all. the gray back is very nice, overall nice concept and beautiful graphic design elements. cheers!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Resident

vulpixel 
Resident

Really beautiful and they deffo come across as being quite peaceful and tranquil in their energy to me anyway! Good start. Looking forward to seeing your entire deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Star clad

Padma 
Star clad

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnot View Post
(Sorry I haven't quite figured out how to quote everyone in one reply, if that's even possible?)
Just click the little yelling head on the bottom right beside the Quote button - do this on each post/quote you wish to include, and when you post your reply, they will all appear in the reply box. You can then post your comments in between the different quotes.

Nicely drawn, by the way. I like the hand with the keys - interesting take on the cards
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.