Attention, edgers, gilders, and blingers: what are your tools of choice?

FLizarraga

Again, there have been several threads on this, so I thought it would be a good idea to share stuff in a single thread for ease of comparison.

Personally, I use a lot Tim Holtz's wondrous markers and pads --as well as Sharpies, which can give surprisingly nice results within a limited palette.

For metallic edges, I have Tsukineko Brilliance pads, which come in convenient mini packs, and Krylon leafing pens. Surprisingly enough, however, I have found myself increasingly leaning toward using metallic sharpies, which are again limited and not as nice but are also easier to control.

I haven't tried my hand at blinging with glitter and stuff like that, so I have nothing to contribute there.

What do you use?

ETA: The trimmed/altered decks thread with additional links is here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4269698&posted=1#top

RiverRunsDeep

I have only ever "blinged" one of my tarot decks, and I used a bottle of clear glittered nail polish to do it. Actually, I got the idea from someone's YouTube video, I don't remember who. It was relatively mess-free and simple, especially for someone as impatient and unartistic as myself, lol.

kalliope

I'll second the recommendation for the Tsukineko Brilliance metallic inkpads (the little minis are convenient, I agree.) Easy to apply, lots of color choices, quick drying.

I have a deck that has Sharpie or Avery black permanent marker on the edges, and I found that it gets onto my fingers a bit when using the deck. Has that happened to anyone else? So I plan to use a black inkpad instead next time.

I've never ventured into the glitter or paint "bling" territories either. You people are wild! :laugh:

jolie_amethyst

I'll second the recommendation for the Tsukineko Brilliance metallic inkpads (the little minis are convenient, I agree.) Easy to apply, lots of color choices, quick drying.

I have a deck that has Sharpie or Avery black permanent marker on the edges, and I found that it gets onto my fingers a bit when using the deck. Has that happened to anyone else? So I plan to use a black inkpad instead next time.

I've never ventured into the glitter or paint "bling" territories either. You people are wild! :laugh:

Sharpies always wear off other items onto me, so I'd expect the same if I tried them on a deck. :joke: However: Brilliance in Graphite Black makes a stunning black edge. I used it on my Madame Endora's oracle, and it hasn't budged...not a spot to be seen either on my fingers or the light golden brown silk that lines Endora's bag.

FLizarraga

Actually, for me the ink that has bled the most during application --never after-- has been Tim Holtz's Black Soot. None of his other products is that messy, or messy at all, I would say.

Sharpies can bleed a little during application, too, but not as much. And never after. And I have sweaty hands.

merissa_88

The thing that was the most important for me was using a paper trimmer. Scissors did not work.

I'm all for glitter pens and metallic pens. So far they have worked well.

kalliope

Sharpies always wear off other items onto me, so I'd expect the same if I tried them on a deck. :joke: However: Brilliance in Graphite Black makes a stunning black edge. I used it on my Madame Endora's oracle, and it hasn't budged...not a spot to be seen either on my fingers or the light golden brown silk that lines Endora's bag.

Glad I'm not the only one with a Sharpie problem! And thanks for the Graphite Black rec. I may have that one, I'll have to check (I hope!) I bought some more last year but never got around to using them. :D

greatdane

Tim Holtz Ink Pads and Marksalot for edging.

Mariqueen

Updated pics with the blue edging. I used a Tim Holtz distressed marker in Chipped Sapphire and it's a perfect match for the blue backing on the cards. I'm surprised, because when I first inked them last night, the blue was much darker.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,564
  • FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,430
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,403
  • FullSizeRender 11.21.55 AM.jpg
    FullSizeRender 11.21.55 AM.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,418

kalliope

Updated pics with the blue edging. I used a Tim Holtz distressed marker in Chipped Sapphire and it's a perfect match for the blue backing on the cards. I'm surprised, because when I first inked them last night, the blue was much darker.

Mariqueen, the Chipped Sapphire edges look fantastic! I'll make a note of the color to try on my own deck.

You should post these in the thread that has lots of other, wonderful edging photos:
an experiment at gilt edging

And add the pics of the MG trim in general to the big Trimmed Decks thread so they can be added to the index. I'd hate for them to get get lost in the shuffle!
Trimmed Borders / Altered Decks Index