Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

Cat*

Who of the Greenwood users was it that mentioned the book series by Jean M. Auel ("The Clan of the Cave Bear," "The Mammoth Hunters," "The Valley of Horses," etc.) a while ago? I've decided to treat myself to some new books, and these are what I bought. If I wasn't such a terrible book completionist, I'd chuck Harry Potter #2 aside (I'm reading that one for the umpteenth time, after all), but as it is, I have another night or two to go before I can start on my new books. I'm curious to see what they add to my understanding of the Greenwood. Which is to say: thanks for the tip!

Incidentally, while I was shopping for my niece and nephew (the only people who get Christmas presents from me) today, I stumbled across shelves and shelves with amazingly life-like small plastic animals. I was seriously tempted to buy one to accompany my Greenwood. In the end, however, I didn't, simply because I was unable to decide. I may need to draw a card for that... ;) They had Deer/Stag, Wolf, Hare, Horse (not Przewalski/Takh, though), Fox, Bear, and even Cave Bear! If the latter's teeth hadn't been painted in a way that made it look as if it hadn't properly washed its mouth after brushing its teeth, I'd have taken that. Hare and female Deer were also very close contenders. But it didn't look as if these would be sold out in a week or to, so I can easily wait until after the Christmas craziness.

I don't see myself doing much else in terms of my IDS for the next few days. I've packed my days with other things to do, but I plan to make some Greenwood time this weekend. But it's still nice reporting what I do (and don't do) here. It's a nice way of holding myself accountable. :) I also read what everyone else posts here, even if I don't have anything to say about it.

hunter

There is a fan club for the Auel books http://ecfans.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi

The book series has a lot of info about herbs and Paleolithic (stone age) religions.

When I cannot sleep I listen to audio books on my ipod, so at least I'm letting my body lie quietly in the dark with my eyes closed. I just ordered a couple of these books on CD to transfer to my ipod. I'm hoping they come in soon. The stuff I've been downloading from my library download site is just not as good as these will be.

Good luck with the Greenwood. I don't see myself ever getting a hold of one of these. I'll stick with my bunnies for now.

zan_chan

Hi All,

So guess what? It's my anniversary. Me and Hermann (I know, bad grammar, but its cuter somehow) have been together for one full month of IDS bliss. He doesn't know it yet, but he has a new bag being made for him by tarotmama which I'm sure he'll just love.

(I'm not over-humanizing at all, am I?)

It's funny really, this IDS thing. When I first got started a month ago I was feeling very, "Oh woe is me, in what trials am I being intwined"-- but looking back on the past month, it really has been the best tarot-related decision I've made. I just couldn't be in a more peacefull, positive tarot place now. Although I'm not quite sure I believe in such a thing, the Haindl is most definitely "the one" for now and for a seemingly long time to come. I think we overuse the term, the cliche really, that a deck "just speaks to me!", but with the Haindl it really is more than that. I can't even explain it properly. When I look at one of the cards its..., hmm...its a bit like the movie "Fantasia". The image on the card seems to become almost holographic and grow bigger and bigger and do a kind of tribal "deep-meaning" dance and entirely envelope me. It's almost unfair to my other decks (especially the really expensive ones!) that just kind of sit there looking like, well, cards.

It's amazing too that the thing that had initially turned me off to the Haindl and caused me to ignore it for so long, the courts, are now my favorite thing about it. I've been reading a great little biography the last couple of days called, "Chief Seattle: Man of Vision" and I'm enjoying it so much that I now HOPE for him, the Son of Stones, to turn up in my readings. The idea of hoping for court cards in a reading would have been unimaginable previously. I actually caught myself, last night, looking through the Quantum (because its being discussed so much these last few days) and searching for the Chief Seattle card. Terribly disappointing to quickly realize that it just wasn't going to turn up-- but then equally reassuring to know that my Haindl was right there waiting for me.

I was also, and excuse my gloating, really proud of myself for the reading I did for COS this week. It was my best, most comprehensive Haindl reading to date, and it just "felt" right. I could feel the truth just pouring out of me as I was typing. And then I got my feedback today, and it was very positive-- I was just elated with it. (If anyone is bored and looking for something to do, I would love it if you checked out the reading and gave me your thoughts on my reading style. It's COS/janee & zan_chan.)

I've also been working quite a bit at trying to understand Rachel Pollack's book "The Kabbalah Tree" and a couple of other similar books on the subject, which has been great fun so far. The only times I get a bit dejected is when I read literally any post by Scion-- makes me feel like a ten-year-old who told his father he wants to be an astronaut someday and gets sent to an advanced calculus class at MIT.

But anyway, I'm too wrapped-up in all I'm doing and, honestly, just having too much fun to care about, or have time for, any real sense of dejection. One month into this thing I can honestly say I expect many more anniversaries to come.

-zan

jcwirish

Hey Zan,

I think it's great that you love your deck so much. That's wonderful. It sounds like you are right where you ought to be at this time, and just soaking it all up. Congrats on finding your deck, and hope the honeymoon lasts forever.

Johanna

KafkasGhost

Universal Fantasy, it is SO on, baby...
I had a difficult time deciding which deck to dive into so I wrote the name of each on a piece of card stock and "randomly" selected. This deck traveled with me recently and I think we got attached to each other so I'm happy it came up and that we'll be spending more time together.

My commitments:

1) I will "officially" begin at the Winter Solstice (I may get a jump start since I dig this deck so much, AND this concept).

2) I will handle my deck every day, whether it be inhaling its new deck smell, shuffling randomly, pulling 1- to 3-card spreads, and/or reading for myself and others.

3) I would like to complete this particular IDS by New Moon February 14, 2010. I can decide at that time to continue with the same deck or initiate an IDS with another pack.

4) I will journal with this deck at least 3 times a week.

5) I will not touch or sniff any other decks from December 21, 2009 to February 14, 2010.

I SO need this to focus; thank you!

LotusSong

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Universal Fantasy; it was my main reading deck before I picked up the Shakespearean. I absolutely adore all the cards. The Ace of Wands is an ent-horse. Strength is petting a dragon. The Knight of Cups is his own steed. I wish you the best of luck on your IDS with it! <3

Wendywu

hunter said:
There is a fan club for the Auel books http://ecfans.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi

The book series has a lot of info about herbs and Paleolithic (stone age) religions.

The Clan of the Cave Bear is a wonderful book - the others didn't live up to the first one's promise but that one book was outstanding and taught me a lot. I never thought of re-reading them in conjunction with a Greenwood study....

Actually I think they'd read very well alongside an Ironwing study, given the shamanic/healer aspects of both. I'll dig 'em out - many thanks for the idea :)

thorhammer

KafkasGhost said:
Universal Fantasy, it is SO on, baby...
I had a difficult time deciding which deck to dive into so I wrote the name of each on a piece of card stock and "randomly" selected. This deck traveled with me recently and I think we got attached to each other so I'm happy it came up and that we'll be spending more time together.
You're on, and welcome :)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

jcwirish said:
Hey Zan,

I think it's great that you love your deck so much. That's wonderful. It sounds like you are right where you ought to be at this time, and just soaking it all up. Congrats on finding your deck, and hope the honeymoon lasts forever.

Johanna

Thanks a lot, Johanna. I really am loving it. (as you were probably able to tell from the above haha).

How about you? IDS going well so far, I hope?

Hemera

I got an excellent idea from :love:Wendywu:love: to use Christine Jette´s Tarot Shadow Work book with my IDS deck. Thank you Wendywu:love:
I had forgotten about the book and I was just beginning to wonder what to do next with my IDS deck. Posting new threads in the Study Group area is all very well but it´s not enough for intensive IDSing..