Any Tea Leaf Readers ?

tarotbear

While we are talking about palmistry - are there any Tea Leaf Readers out there? I bought a couple of books on it a few years back, but I'd rather do Tarot- besides, most tea around here comes in bags, and I'm not going to use all my precious loose Earl Grey trying to figure out someone's fortune!

Jeanette

Sorry, Tarotbear, I'm just a tea drinker! But it seems a very interesting field (is the person having the reading supposed to drink the tea, or does the reader drink the tea?)

january

I bought a tea-leaf reading cup & book set at my local Barnes & Noble. The book states that the querant drink the tea and meditates upon his/her concern. When the cup is inverted onto the saucer, the leaves are supposed to make patterns, i.e. letters, circles, mountains, faces, etc. This seemed too much for me to grasp right now so I've been putting off trying it.

On the Salem Witch site, I found some tea reading tips, such as carefully choosing an herb suited for the nature of the question. (i.e., using rosehip, lemon and orange tea for a love reading). And that images appearing close to the rim are events in your nearer future and those toward the bottom would happen a bit later.

Tarotbear - I bought a box of loose green tea at The Vitamin Shoppe. The problem, I suppose, with opening a tea bag is that the leaves are cut too small and would just dissolve or mush in the pot. Eeewww!!

So, until I feel in the mood, I'll stay with my Mango-Passionfruit tea in a paper cup from the book-cafe!

~ january

tarotbear

Once in Salem Mass I bought a friend a tealeaf reading cup at the Witch Museum. It was divided into sections with symbols. Very touristy, but interesting.

The Querent drinks the tea and leaves about a teaspon of fluid (and the leaves) in the bottom of the cup, the cup is then swirled and inverted so the leaves wash around the inside of the cup. Once the liquid tea drains out, the cup is turned over and symbols are sought. There is also a difference for being near the rim or the bottom, also closer to the handle, etc.

Scorpion

Hi, Tarotbear!

When I was young my mum had a friend who was a natural - she was truly clairvoyant and didn't really need the tea. I've always wanted to do it, so, like January,I bought the book and cup set recently (mine's called something like "Cup of Destiny") but I haven't used it much. My first attempt was for a friend who can't tolerate tea so we had to use coffee grounds instead: unfortunately I overestimated how much we needed and she must have been totally hyper all afternoon. By the time we'd got it down to manageable proportions, we found we were both able to see symbols, but half of them weren't in the book. Hearts kept appearing - but not as she would have wanted - she's worried about the state of her husband's heart as there's the threat of more surgery. I find the symbols printed in red in the cup distracting and have far more success with plain cups. The problem now is just how much tea do you put in? I keep testing it on myself but can't get it right - I always end up with a mouthful of tealeaves! If you don't get most of the liquid off, it just all goes on the saucer - which must be why that's printed too. I don't remember these problems all those years ago. I've got plenty of interested "drinkers" but I don't want to put them off until I've ironed out this hitch - so in the meantime, I'm reduced to testing on myself, and I can only drink so many cuppas a day as I don't share the legendary British love of the stuff!

EveAnna

Hi LouiQ and Tarotbear

I'm English and a loose-tea drinker - the usual rule is a heaped teaspoon of loose tea for each cup needed - if you make it in a teapot put in an extra teaspoon of tea, give it a stir before you pour it into the cup and you'll have a decent amount of tea leaves in the cup for your reading :) Leave a small amount of liquid at the bottom of the cup, swirl it 3 times then turn it upside down onto the saucer, the leaves will stick and you'll be able to do your reading. Hope this helps.

jade

i read tea leaves. the shapes that they make and where the leaves are sitting just 'speaks to me'.

i think it's kinda like reading a rock (the lines on it) or a doodle.......same thing different item.

in light,
jade

catlin

I use Chinese Green tea like Lung Ching for doing the reading, the leaves are shaped large enough to unfold properly. And the tea tastes really good.

In case you don't get that kind of tea you can also try with the much cheaper Gun powder green tea or black Keemun tea (these are the cheapest Chinese teas here in Germany).

Using broken tea or the dust gathered in tea bags normally does not work as this stuff is too small.

Elven

Well I did get into it for a while there - and I drink heaps of tea - but of late I havent tried any more readings. I also have the Cup of Destiny - but I must say - the set looks beautiful sitting on the bookshelf with the rest of my divination things! :p

Blessings
Elven x

memries

Make a pot of tea as suggested or sometimes I just take a pinch of tea between my fingers "Earl Grey" and put it in a mug..white.. and pour in boiling water. Let it settle, have your lovely cup of tea. When you are finished, just invert the cup and spin it three times on the saucer making a wish.

Hand the cup of tea with saucer to the reader with whatever hand you write with. The reader, says a short prayer of protection, then proceeds to read your cup.
The leaves make patterns. I can see the symbolism in the patterns. Most times a story comes into my head and I just say it and it is accurate.
I read them for years for my friends. I must say though that I have found the ability comes or it doesn't. If you say to someone, I don't see anything in your cup, they immediately think they are going to die at least ! It could be you are tired or distracted or just not in the right frame of mind to read.
So if that happens.. you have a moral dilemma... ie do I BS it or tell the truth. So if I read for friends I explain beforehand. I cannot read if I do not see it.
I sure would not want to read tea leaves for a living because of that. But probably lots of people have more talent than I and can control it better.
Tarot cards on the other hand are full of the same symbology and you have something to see that is literal.
Tea Leaf reading is great fun though and makes for companionship and a few laughs. There is the sociability aspect of it.