Touchstone Tarot~The Hanged Man

minrice

Honestly it bothers me that this card bothers me. It's not the "nontraditional" take on the hanged man either that bugs me.
It's the fact that this to me looks like Jesus! Jesus tied to a tree. I don't have a problem with Jesus. I don't have a problem with trees. But this card...this is probably my least favorite Major Arcana of the deck.
I have the "traditional" interpretation of this card of course, but without it I wouldn't know where to begin interpreting this card because so far I can't get past the imagery.
Any thoughts anyone? I need help! I want to like the Hanged Man here, I really do.

Maybe it's about feeling as though you're stuck, unable to make the move that will save yourself or others.

Also, has anyone else noticed the wishbone in the tree?!

tarotlyn

hmmmm...well...there is such physical inactivity in this image...and his eyes are closed...
suggesting to me that it is a card of contemplation and spiritual awakening
to a higher power to the extent of self sacrifice and possible suffering.

Here he appears to NOT be struggling or fighting his situation at all but now
looks like he has turned inward and so is connecting with the Spirit World
allowing him to make it through this time he is going through.

Maybe turning inwardly will help him overcome any of his own self-centered motives.

Oh, and maybe his nakedness, bareness...leaves him totally open and
vunerable to the world and what it demands of him as he has no control of
putting on more clothes to cover himself and he has no control to untie
himself from the tree. Looks like someone else put him there for how long?
...who knows? maybe until he finds what he is seeking or learning within his
own mind.

I am sure you all will see more... what about the (halo?) object about his head?

As far as wish bones...looks like it...but I think it is more just the branches
showing through the leaves. BUT if it was a wishbone...then maybe he is
wishing that "this would pass."

minrice

tarotlyn said:
hmmmm...well...there is such physical inactivity in this image...and his eyes are closed...
suggesting to me that it is a card of contemplation and spiritual awakening
to a higher power to the extent of self sacrifice and possible suffering.

Thank you Tarotlyn, this bit helps quite a bit actually. I already associate the Hanged Man with contemplation, I just hadn't thought of that in terms of suffering as you suggested. That helps, the card doesn't look so dismal in that sense and maybe that was what was bothering me about it.

The hanged man...with a bit of a twist/different take. I can tell I'm definitely going to like this deck more and more.

tarotlyn

...the reason I see the possibility of suffering in this card, is that he is not
able to continue on with his life in a status quo manner...everything is soooo
on hold for him :bugeyed: and that may be what is actually causing the suffering.
He cannot live his life like he really wants to.

Plus this card is ruled by the planet of Neptune which also says: "Serve or suffer."
Neptune rules the Sign of Pisces which can be a very spiritual sign.

Re: Reversed position:
We haven't been talking about reversed meanings so far, I just realized.
And if this card were reversed, it could take on meaning like the following:

The person is not interested in sacrificing for anyone, they do not want to
give up anything for the good or sake of someone else (selfishness).
And sometimes this card reversed can just indicate that there is a drug/drinking
or other (vise) addictive problem (Neptune which rules the sign Pisces).

minrice

I know, I noticed too. I did PM her yesterday and recieved a reply. Will go after this to see if it is in the index!

minrice

Just looked, it's up there! I guess the others think they are too good to talk about the Hanged Man with us? Hmmmmm??? jk :)

minrice

Kat just posted in the study group thread about how the Hanged Man is St. Sebastian.

I think this may be him
http://bode.diee.unica.it/~giua/SEBASTIAN/PICS/caletti.jpg

St. Sebastian was martyred as a result of his beliefs. Perhaps the contemplation and turning inward is a result of core beliefs, looking inward and being willing to sacrifice for them despite others who want to tie you down because of them.

I think the halo-like thing by his head is maybe enlightenment?

BodhiSeed

"The circle about the heads of sacred persons is known as the Aureole, the Glory, and the Nimbus. Before the Christian era, such symbols, as seen on ancient coins, medals, and other objects, signified that dignity and power belonged to the person thus honoured, as to the gods. In the early centuries after Christ, even Satan was represented with a glory, as a symbol of his power, and by reason of its pagan origin this emblem was not readily adopted in Christian art; after the fifth or sixth century, however, it came into more general use, and invariably indicated divine glory, a consecrated being, and saintly blessedness."
excerpt from:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/sia08.htm
This is a very lonely looking card to me. It says, "There is no one here to help." However, I think the nimbus/halo says that he has a power within to draw on if his ego can only accept his situation. It is the paradox of surrender; he lets go of ego control only to find this amazing power (Higher Self) within.
The fact that his arms are bound seem to say, "My hands are tied. There is nothing I can physically do in this situation."

tarotlyn

bodhran said:
...It says, "There is no one here to help." However, I think the nimbus/halo says that he has a power within to draw on if his ego can only accept his situation. It is the paradox of surrender; he lets go of ego control only to find this amazing power (Higher Self) within.
The fact that his arms are bound seem to say, "My hands are tied. There is nothing I can physically do in this situation."
Oh bodhran...you found the key! That, I think, is it exactly:
"Surrender then you find the illumination and compassion to keep going
and to gladly, or at least willingly, learn whatever lesson there is for you to
learn in this situation.