Georges Murchery cards circa 1900-1912

Cerulean

This has a circa 1890 date, but the dates of the book seem to be 1900 to 1912, with many reprints of the book only available. My reprint from Crescent Books note that Rider and Co originally printed this book in London. The ISBN is 0-517-68-259-1. You'll find reprints available on Amazon.com U.S. and U.K.

But it proves to me the idea of Oracle of the Radiant Sun is a good one, if they were to use decans and at least 48 cards. George's Muchery titles his book Astrological Tarot and does make links...so it's not a new idea.

http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks03/d01644/d01644.htm

The illustrations are art deco style woodcut and the book that you can buy has some predictive and rather dated descriptions. But it might prove a nice link in a chain of astrology and maybe tarot history that includes designs such as the Caligstro and astrology-based designs. Muchery also a few Egyptian style motifs so that Etteilla was also an influence.

Happy browsing. No, I've not seen any other cards online.

Minderwiz

An interesting item - a pity that the description is rather brief. If you come across any more detail please post a link.

Cerulean

Here's a Grimaud listing/Kaplan citation

1. The French listing

A resource in France (not Yves Daniel) said these seem to be out of print right now. But I found an online listings for two versions of the astrology cards:

http://www.spielkartenonline.com/TAROT/tarot.html

2. 10724 - Tarot Astrologique, Grimaud, 1927. Design: Georges Muchery. Litho. 12,8 X 7,9. 48 Blatt. Fast unbespielt. Braun 656 - 657 - Cary 226 - Fournier 443 - Jensen 6.6 - Kaplan III 371

250,00 €

3. 10728 - Le Tarot Astroloqique - ND, Editions du Chariot, 1972. ND des Tarots Muchery von 1927. Chromotypie. 12,8 X 74. 48 Blatt. Textheft. Pappschachtel. Unbespielt. Cary 226 - Jensen 6.6 - Kaplan III 371

60,00 €

So if anyone picks a set up, let me know. Better yet, email me to pick up another set :).

Cerulean

An update

One copy of the cards were available via the kindness of a colleague in France. I'm using them, but offer the following suggestions:

Jeanette from TarotGarden is following up on my tarotgarden request to see if her suppliers in France will carry another copy.

The book that explains this system in used condition is widely available, but if you see a cover with the Marseilles deck, the system is not anything like that at all. The decanate system in the book is recognizeable but it's not standard tarot. A better book on using tarots in a decanate system such as the RWS and Astrology with the decanate system is by Muriel Bruce Habrouck: Tarot and Astrology: the pursuit of destiny.

Another oracle deck, the Cards of the Radiant Sun, are also recommended over the Muchery system if you want a modern oracle with astrology cards using planets and oracles.

These comments aside, these are art deco style cards and I think right now they may work well for a one card draw and reading one meaning. If I find the meaning old-fashioned and irritating, I look at Muriel Bruce Habrouk's corresponding description and suggested tarot card. If I were to combine this with a tarot deck, I am thinking the Thoth or Alchemical, something with clean engraving or a classic sculpture quality. Maybe Tarot De Paris or Quest.