New Moon in Cancer

Minderwiz

The New Moon occurs on 29th June at 19:40 BST (18:40 GMT) at 7 degrees 37 minutes Cancer. This flavours the coming month with tones of nurturing and sensitivity. ON a more negative tone, Cancer is prone to moodiness and occasional emotional outburst.

At the time of the New Moon the Sun is separating from conjunctions with Saturn (though still in orb) and is in applying conjunction to Mercury and this will be perfected on the 8th July. As well as the four planets in Cancer, Uranus and Mars are in Pisces. Thus we have a very strong Water dominance at the time of the New Moon. Emotions and feelings are strongly emphasised for this month. This dominance is stressed by the Moon being the sole dispositor of the other planets, based on traditional rulerships. The Sun/Saturn conjunction may initially restrict the expression of feelings and emotions or increase the probability that they are expressed in a controlled fashion – as the Sun and Saturn separate the restriction will begin to break down.

As well as the conjunction to Sun, Saturn and Mercury, the Moon is also trine to Mars and Uranus. Common sense, sympathetic and quick responses are favoured but the trine to Uranus may exaggerate any tendency to moodiness and will also give a level of emotional independence to the month. Pisces is usually associated with oceans and these in turn are sometimes seen as symbolic of the collective unconscious. The Moon to Mars/Uranus trine may well highlight the interconnected nature of humanity – the need to go beyond self to the greater whole.

Water takes the shape of its container, it is shaped directly by its environment. Saturn is the ruler of shape, form and matter. Therefore the month may also highlight the restrictions that life places on us and on our emotional and spiritual well being.

Venus in Gemini is in an out of sign conjunction to Mercury and is also in opposition to Pluto in Sagittarius. This will favour growing relationships and perhaps lead to some fundamental changes in their nature. These changes are likely to be facilitated through communication or mental attunement.

There is a fairly close conjunction between Mars and Uranus in Pisces, although this is a separating aspect. Assertive actions are still likely to be highly independent or idiosyncratic but tinged strongly with a spiritual, or transcendental overlay.

Jupiter in Leo is very near a perfect trine to Pluto and this is perfected two days later on July 1st. Pluto in Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter and this is the third and last trine that Jupiter and Pluto have made since October of last year. Repeating aspects such of these are caused by planets switching from direct to retrograde motion and then back again. Where the aspect is made for the third time it is usually taken as being the point where there may well be an external effect or where behaviour will change. Perhaps here we have to face the buried fears of transformational change or destruction and turn to Jupiter’s urge to grow and expand beyond what we are.

AquarianGoddess

Hi Minderwiz,

Good report!! We need to have a big supply of tissue's handy for July...it's quite the "watery" month. Our emotions will be "touched" by something or someone. Intuition is something NOT to be ignored in July.

Now for happier news....here's to the last pass of Jupiter trine Pluto. Hey, that's COOL!

Fondly,
AG

Minderwiz

AG,

Too true - especially for my wife, whose lunar return for the month occured on 21 June - the day the Sun entered Cancer. Her return chart has a Cancer Ascendant (which is also her natal Ascendant) and her Moon is in Pisces! and the element balance is predominantly Water.

Well I'll lay in a load of tissues and wait for the tears

AquarianGoddess

Minderwiz, you're a smart man to supply the tissues!

I checked ahead to my July lunar retrun and.....SEVEN water (plus Juno makes eight!) Yikes! Neptune is the sole planet in air and what does he care.....he's probably drunk anyways!

AG

purplefishy

How do you check your July lunar return? Thanks.

AquarianGoddess

You can go to "www.astro.com" and put in your birth information....then you want the "extended chart selection", in there (a pull-down box) they have a "lunar return" selection. It will give you your current, or if you specify a later date, a later lunar return. I made it sound much more complicated that it actually is!

AG

purplefishy

OK, so I went to Astro.com and got a chart, and I clicked on "lunar return" chart for July 1st. Here's what it came up with, did I do this right?

Sun 8 Cancer
Moon 15 Cancer
Mercury 2 Cancer
Venus 24 Gemini
Mars 5 Pisces
Jupiter 17 Leo
Saturn 3 Cancer
Uranus 2 Pisces
Neptune 12 Aquarius
Pluto 18 Sag
Chiron 15 Cap
AC 5 Gemini
MC 16 Aqu

I'm not sure how to interpret any of this!

Minderwiz

Well yes the planetary positons are correct but what you also need are the House cusps and Ascendant.

I've got your natal details so I can tell you the cusps:

Ascendant : 5 Gemini 38
second House: 29 Gemini 55
Third House: 22 Cancer 04
Fourth House: 16 Leo 18
Fifth House: 29 Virgo 16
Sixth House: 24 Libra 55

The Seventh to Twelfth will be the same degrees of the opposite signs - so the seventh is 5 Sagittarius 38, etc.

I've used Placidus cusps here, if you prefer another system then they would need to be recalculated (unless you go for equal house)

I've also assumed that you are still living at your birthplace (town or area). If not the cusps can be recalculated to allow for a move, especially if you've moved some distance. The latter is optional, I know a number of Astrologers who will simply keep to the birth location for return charts.

How do you interpret it?

The return gives a picture of the month ahead in terms of feelings and day to day issues - the more gentle ups and downs of life.

Importance should be given to the Moon's House position - in this case it is the Second House - which is also occupied by Sun, Mercury and Saturn (all in Cancer) - Lots of feelings and emotions and possibly fears relating to issues such as material possessions, your natural talents and skills, money issues. ( - so the may be irritants, or worries, or even feeling good about it. Indeed this will be the area in which you hope to get most emotional satisfaction during the month. The Sun and Moon are still in conjunction at the time of your return (though separating) so this area of life is likely to be more important than just another month without checking your solar return and transits I can't say whether they fit into major trends) However it may well be an important time for some progress in second house issues.

Your Ascendant is Gemini - Your emotional needs are going to be expressed through communicating with others, through your thoughts and ideas and you general conscious mind. You may well be trying lots of different things out to see what makes you feel good.

The MC is in Aquarius so you are likely to want some emotional independence during the month and be trying to project yourself as an independant rather detached person. However I repeat we are talking about low level day to day stuff - not major issues. So this is comparative to normal.

Neptune is also close to the MC. Your desire for a little more emotional independance is likely to be affected by or the result of your own personal development (Neptune is in the ninth) and will have some spirtual overtones (or possibly, simply reflect day dreaming about being more independent!)

Hope this helps.

purplefishy

Minderwiz, I think your entire post hit it dead on.

Lots of feelings and emotions and possibly fears relating to issues such as material possessions, your natural talents and skills, money issues. ( - so the may be irritants, or worries, or even feeling good about it. Indeed this will be the area in which you hope to get most emotional satisfaction during the month.

I need a job. Yesterday. I want a job. Last Month. Yet, everything seems to be going wrong regarding that, and it is taking over my life! I'm getting to the low point of job seeker hell and wondering if it can get worse. And being very afraid it could. My ability to make money is crucial to independence, and if I can't do that then I am stuck. Given that, everything that you mentioned makes complete sense to me.

Minderwiz

Purplefishy

I'll take a look at your transits - there might be more information there.