a programme of houses

Sayonaran

I'm stuck on this numerology/astrology programme that I use to draw up reports for friends. What does these houses mean and what do they repesent? Currently, I'm wracking my mind for MC Equal and MC Asc... what's that?

Minderwiz

Not sure what program you are using and therefore I can't really comment with any degree of knowledge on what it is trying to tell you. However I can give you some guide to the Houses and that might help.

The Houses are the areas of your life in which things happen. There are 12 of them, analagous to but not the same as the Zodiac signs. They are referred to by number order, first, second, third, etc. They are drawn as lines radiating from the centre of a circle to its circumferance and they are in effect the chart on which we plot the positions of the planets.

Four of these houses are particularly important and they lie roughly (and I mean roughly) at 90 degrees from each other. If you think of the circle as the dial of a compass, Due East is the First House and the line at the start of this is your Ascendant Line. It will have a zodiac degree, just like all the planets (how you work this out is better dealt with elsewhere). The sign on your Ascendant says something about you and your nature and how you interact with others.

If you turn and face due South you will be facing the MC, this to has a zodiac degree and the sign it is placed in says something about your public and social life - usually interpreted as mainly your career. If you now look at the western direction on your compass this shows what is called the Descendant - its the area that is 'not you' - your involvement in partnerships, relationships with others, marriage. Finally if you look at the Northern direction you will see what is called the IC. This too has a zodiac degree and the sign on it says something about your roots, family, home, inner self. It is the opposite of the MC, which is the public 'you' - the IC shows the private 'you'.

These are the main houses. First, (Ascendant or ASC), Fourth (IC), Seventh (Descendant or DSC) and finally Tenth or MC.

The area between these four is further subdivided into three portions in each quadrant making the 12 houses. The numbering always is from the Ascendant or first House. A rough guide (and again I mean rough) is

The Second deals with your personal property,

The Third deals with siblings, neighbours, communication and short journeys

The Fifth deals with romance, children, and relaxation

The Sixth deals with Service, ill-health, and pets and small animals

The Eighth deals with Taxes, Debts Other peoples property and death

The Ninth deals with Foreign Travel, religion, justice, self development

The Eleventh deals with Friends, associations and aspirations

The twelfth deals with institutions, like hospitals or prisons, self undoing (making a mess of things), larger animals and the desire to merge with something greater than oneself.

I'm not sure whether this will help - if it is not quite what you are looking for then post again. Or if you run into any other issue with your software output then post - though we can't guarantee to get the software to work right :)

Sayonaran

name of houses

these houses are named somewhat... can't remember. One was a long one, started with a P... I'll have to find it and write it all down...

isthmus nekoi

Sayonaran, what are the names of the houses? I've never heard of them having names before.

dadsnook2000

Partial Reply

I infered from your post a question about the "MC" and "Equal MC." From this I gathered that you meant to ask about the MC as it is calculated in many house systems versus the Equal House MC.
Houses are derived in various ways but mostly depend upon defining the Ascendant (where the eastern horizon intersects the ecliptic (or mathematically determined ring of zodiac measurement) and where the chart's owner's location's Prime Meridian intersects the eplictic overhead (the MC or Median Coli).
The Equal House system uses the Ascendant degree/sign and makes every house an equal 90 degrees. The MC (10th house cusp) is then 90 degrees from the Ascendant. It's position, if placed in the context of most other house systems, is often either in the conventional 9th or 10th house and may (at some latitudes) be in the 8th or 11 th house areas of other house systems. Many, but not a majority of, astrologers use the equal house method because it simplifies (in their view) the tie-in of houses and signs. Dave.