The things I missed in this deck - after 28 years of looking!!

firemaiden

I recently remembered the snail in the Nine of Pentacles when reading this essay about the famous snail in the Annunciation by Francesco del Cossa

I'm convinced that the snail in the Nine of P is a quotation of this painting. Which of course brings in a whole new conversation - the Nine of P as an annunciation ? The falcon as the holy spirit - dove in disguise ? or in antitheses ?

-

Zephyros

Fascinating article firemaiden! Not only was it interesting in itself, but it made me think of that snail in a whole new way. I agree with you that that snail must be an "artistic quote" of that painting, but what do you think it means that in the painting the snail is going towards Mary while on the card it is going away from the figure?

Perhaps the painting suggests that the Holy spirit is going into Mary, while in the card, the figure is "giving out" holy inspiration (of sorts) so that that "growing" aspect will be transferred to the plants?

firemaiden

oops, of course I meant the nine of pents ... editing post

---

... but what do you think it means that in the painting the snail is going towards Mary while on the card it is going away from the figure?

Perhaps the painting suggests that the Holy spirit is going into Mary, while in the card, the figure is "giving out" holy inspiration (of sorts) so that that "growing" aspect will be transferred to the plants?

hahaha, I suppose it could mean whatever we want it to mean :-D -- or it could be symbolic of the fact that there are always things we don't see ... symbolic of the hidden detail. I hadn't noticed the different direction ! hahah

Zephyros

And I have exposed myself as being inherently lazy, looked up the card in Google images and thought I saw something like snail there in the Seven, but the (actual) snail in the nine throws my whole thesis to the trash :)

Oh well

mac22

I recently remembered the snail in the Nine of Pentacles when reading this essay about the famous snail in the Annunciation by Francesco del Cossa

I'm convinced that the snail in the Nine of P is a quotation of this painting. Which of course brings in a whole new conversation - the Nine of P as an annunciation ? The falcon as the holy spirit - dove in disguise ? or in antitheses ?-

WOW!! Once again fire maiden you have enlightened me, and delighted me. All this from a humble snail :) yet another nugget from the RWS!!

Mac22

Freddie

Great information all. Thanks!

The angel in temperance has the Tetragrammaton on his/her gown (right above the triangle in square). I added some pics.

Freddie

Attachments

• yhwh01.gif
    yhwh01.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 287
  • maj14.jpg
    maj14.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 232

firemaiden

Great information all. Thanks!

The angel in temperance has the Tetragrammaton on his/her gown (right above the triangle in square). I added some pics.

Wow, you really had to look closely to see that ! I would never have noticed - even with the pictures you posted it took me 10 times going back and forth between them to see it !

Freddie

Wow, you really had to look closely to see that ! I would never have noticed - even with the pictures you posted it took me 10 times going back and forth between them to see it !

Hi Fire,

You can see it quite clearly on the Giant edition (the made in Italy version is horrible). I discovered this via the wonderful book 'Living The Tarot' by Amber Jayanti. 'Living The Tarot' is based on and illustrated with the B.O.T.A. Paul F. Case deck and I just checked to see if it was on the Waite deck, lo and behold, there it was.

Freddie

Freddie

On 'The Hanged Man' straight lag it reads TULLE (?). I have been trying to sort this for years. Could it refer to St Martin the Martyr?

Tulle, France

TULLE, a town of central France, capital of the department of Correze, 58 m. S.S.E. of Limoges by rail. Pop. (1906), of the town, 11,741; of the commune, 17,245.17,245. The town extends along the narrow valley of the Correze, its streets here and there ascending the hill-slopes on either side by means of stairways. Tulle is the seat of a bishop. Of its 12th-century cathedral, once attached to an abbey, only the porch and nave remain, the choir and transept having been destroyed in 1793, but there is a tower of the 13th century with a fine stone steeple of the 14th century. The neighbouring cloister (12th and 13th century) has been restored. The abbot's house (15th century) has a carved doorway and well-preserved windows. Other curious old houses are to be seen in the vicinity of the cathedral. The prefecture of Tulle is a sumptuous building of 1869 surrounded by gardens. The town has tribunals of first instance and of commerce, a lycee for boys, training colleges for both sexes, a chamber of commerce and a branch of the Bank of France. Its principal industry is the manufacture of small-arms, established in 1690, and now carried on by the state under the direction of the artillery authorities. At its busiest times the factory has employed 3000 hands. The well-known cascades of Gimel formed by the Montane are near Tulle.

Tulle (Tutela) owed its importance in the middle ages to the abbey of St Martin, founded in the 7th or 8th century. The abbacy was raised to the rank of bishopric in 1317. The town was taken by the English in 1346 and was subsequently ravaged by the Black Death. It was again conquered by the English in 1369; but, when the inhabitants succeeded in freeing themselves, they were exempted from all imposts by Charles V. The Protestants tried in vain to seize Tulle in 1577, but were successful in 1585.

Attachments

• rider-Waite_XII_Hanged_Man_large1.jpg
    rider-Waite_XII_Hanged_Man_large1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 219

firemaiden

Hmmm. Interesting, Freddie. I don't see the TULLE - just a lot of lines to make the folds, but I can see that in the folds one could read any letters composed mostly of straight lines... are you sure ? In the blurb you pasted, reference is made to the Cascades de Gimel... It's tempting to wonder if there is a connection between the town name Gimel and the Hebrew letter.
P.S. Beware of copy and paste ... or at least cite the reference.