Can anyone teach me how to read a Grand Tableau?

Teheuti

My entirely intuitive, impressionistic first take was that they felt like little "vortices" of influence that you could then elaborate on and link together in meaningful ways using the more advanced techniques. I never felt compelled to try taking a GT in one big "gulp" of meaning; it seems to be more about intricately interlocking components, like the old "fine Swiss watch" metaphor. I loved the GT from the first moment, but in practical terms I find the 9-card square more useful for most routine, in-depth purposes.
Wonderful description. I teach the GT as ripples going out from the significator and, to a lesser extent, from topic/focus cards. Whenever I read a shorter layout (3, 5, 9 cards, etc.) I'm very aware that I've just selected a cross-section from the greater whole of all 36 cards, and that I may not be getting the whole picture. So, I'll often lay out a whole GT with the intention of only reading the two cards on either side of the significator/topic card, or may intend to read the square around them. I'll ignore the other cards unless I find I need more information or clarification regarding a certain card - and then the other cards are available. It's also helpful to see where the topic of concern lies in relation to the significator: is it near or far; what lies between; are they connected by a line, diagonal, houses, or mutual knighting to a third card? In a 15-minute reading I feel fine ignoring the other cards altogether - afterall, that's what I do whenever I lay out a short reading.

Barleywine

Wonderful description. I teach the GT as ripples going out from the significator and, to a lesser extent, from topic/focus cards. Whenever I read a shorter layout (3, 5, 9 cards, etc.) I'm very aware that I've just selected a cross-section from the greater whole of all 36 cards, and that I may not be getting the whole picture. So, I'll often lay out a whole GT with the intention of only reading the two cards on either side of the significator/topic card, or may intend to read the square around them. I'll ignore the other cards unless I find I need more information or clarification regarding a certain card - and then the other cards are available. It's also helpful to see where the topic of concern lies in relation to the significator: is it near or far; what lies between; are they connected by a line, diagonal, houses, or mutual knighting to a third card? In a 15-minute reading I feel fine ignoring the other cards altogether - afterall, that's what I do whenever I lay out a short reading.

Thanks for the feedback! I hadn't thought about laying out the whole thing with the intention of just reading part of it, but I can see it would be kind of like "Google Earth:" you have the whole landscape in front of you and you can "zoom in" to the feature you want to get a closer look at, then "zoom out" to follow the road to the next intersection if you see the need. I like the "ripple" analogy too; I had "ETA'd" the post you quoted because the metaphor occurred to me later.

danieljuk

I'm teaching the Grand Tableau via a paid Webinar in two sessions at globalspiritualstudies. It assumes you know the Lenormand basics (card meanings, etc.). The first session was last night and was video-taped so it can be viewed online, the next session is next Tuesday. The webinar is done live and can be viewed later via DVD or the on-line recording (available for multiple viewings).

My emphasis is on applying the principles in the original, "Philippe" instruction sheet (near/far/clouded, etc.) and focuses on a method of reading the Grand Tableau as rippling or spiraling out from the Significator - rather than starting with the corners or first three cards.

I also did a 5-session Intro webinar that's still available. Info via my Personal Profile contact page.

definitely going to look into this, would like to see GT methods being demonstrated that way. Hope it's around online for a while. Thanks Teheuti :thumbsup: