Tree of Life - Geburah/Pahad

jmd

Qabalah - Tree of Life - Geburah/Pahad

Geburah is often translated as Severity. Its alternative title, Pahad, is at times translated as fear - as in
  • Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom
It would be far better translated as awe. To be sure, the older sense of 'fear' very much had this aspect of awe and reverence included in its connotation, but I do think that only few of us would see the word 'fear' in such a way today.

Located below Binah, and across from Gedulah/Hesed, it is usually associated with Mars.

Looking forward to further discussions.

jema

i am just finished reading about the 10 sephirot in the Mystical Qabalah by Fortune.
i will need to reread it i am sure.
but what really stuck in my mind was the binah - geburah relationship.
binah binding force into form and geburah breaking up forms and releasing force into tipareth.
so i see her as Kali.
i really loved the name for geburah as the celestial surgeon, cutting away the old outgrown and "safe" forms, leaving a clean cut that won't fester.

zander770

jema said:
i am just finished reading about the 10 sephirot in the Mystical Qabalah by Fortune.

great, GREAT book! unfortunately, mine's in storage,at the moment...here's a question:

when some magickian's perform the lbrp = "lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram" (the kabalistic cross portion, specifically), they take the blade (or, their finger) up to their right shoulder, and, "seeing a beam of light extend to the end of the universe, and beyond, vibrate: "G'Boo-RAH.........!!!", and, then; they move the blade/finger to their left shoulder and vibrate: "G'DOO-LAH............!!!"

my question? what the difference betwixt geburah AND gebDOOlah?!!? thank you.

jema

i know this!
gedulah is just another name for Chesed which is the counterpart and balancing sephira of Geburah.

(i am still really impressed by myself that i knew this - which goes to show just what a wonderful book this is)
The Mystical Qabalah is the book i quote the most from these days and i tell everyone to read it.

however, where do i read more about the LBRP?

zander770

lbrp

almost any book regarding the golden dawn (donald michael kraig's _modern magick_ comes immediately to mind; chic ciscero's books, regardie's, of course)!

here: i'm doing one for you . . . right...NOW!
lol

jmd

Here is the Gedulah (Greatness)/Hesed (Lovingkindness) thread, to which others may want to add to.

In the Kabbalistic Cross preparation to the so-called 'Lesser' Banishing Ritual of the Pentagramme, both Hesed and Pahad are named by their five-lettered names: Gedulah and Geburah. Given that this thread is about Geburah, it is worth mentioning that this corresponds to the Severety of the sword-wielding right arm and hence right shoulder - though it is also worth noting that the right-left correspondences alters with some authors.

As with any given direction by any specific 'tradition', meditation as to why it is so yields a deeper appreciation for the system's merits.

Geburah, as the fifth sphere following our ascent 'out' of Malkut, corresponds with the fifth planet from a geocentric perspective: Mars.

AmounrA

Within Tarot the four fives can be placed upon this sephiroth. These cards often tend to be negative or more 'brutal' in nature. The thoth deck, whose pips are all alligned and designed with the tree of life in mind have....5 cups-disappointment, 5 wands- Strife, 5 swords defeat and 5 disks is worry..a right jolly bunch !

These negative traits within geburah(strength) I think come about when this sephiroth is not counterbalanced by [c]hessed (mercy). The trump card strength (lust) is placed on the bridge between these two sephiroth.

Geburah is often seen as 'will'. Geburah fully focused and working in balance with [c]hessed is a far more pleasant force than geburah working without mercy for its own gain.

[The version I have of the lesser pentagram has right shoulder-ve-geburah ( and the power), left shoulder- ve gedulah (and the glory)]

zander770

good point

Originally posted by AmounrA These negative traits within geburah(strength) I think come about when this sephiroth is not counterbalanced by [c]hessed (mercy). The trump card strength (lust) is placed on the bridge between these two sephiroth.

Geburah is often seen as 'will'. Geburah fully focused and working in balance with [c]hessed is a far more pleasant force than geburah working without mercy for its own gain.

***great observation***

[The version I have of the lesser pentagram has right shoulder-ve-geburah ( and the power), left shoulder- ve gedulah (and the glory)] [/B]

yes yes yes! sound "familar"? proves--to me, at least--that some of them early christians knew the secrets of the qabala!

also, thelemites--those who follow the teachings of crowley--point to the chest between moves & vibrations of "vih-G'oo-RAH" and "vih-G'Doo-LAH" and vibrate the name "aiwass" while pointing to the chest. aiwass, crowley believed, was the name of his holy guardian angel.

zander770

"unwritten qabala"???

are we "getting into" the "dogmatic qabala," here, a wee-bit (i think), meaning; texts & terms written primarily for a jewish readership, w/alternate names & spellings, et. al???

i would also very much like to "get into" the MIND on the tree of life (or, should i create another thread, for that)?

AmounrA

Hello,

770, The jewish names used here are simpicity, I use them, but I believe the tree of life is far older that the jewish religon.

The tree once memorized can be studied, applied and interacted with completly free from any single /collective believe system. I see it as a map.

contact from within
contact from without