What image/symbol/word/thought comes to mind when you think of the Wheel of Fortune

Sebavin

starrystarrynight said:
Another thought comes to mind...and that is the image (was it DaVinci??) of the human figure with the two arms and two legs coming out of it?

This site has an image of the Vitruvian Man...

http://thealchemicalegg.com/VitruviusN.html

When I first read your post, before looking at all the others and without thinking of the Wheel of Fortune in any reading context, the image that came to my mind was the golden calf, the idol that was worshiped in the Hebrew bible by the Israelites. That made me think of how we often place our hopes and energies into gold and wealth, thoughts of how that would solve all of our problems on this earth and make us happy and content. To an extent I suppose it does, but then the wheel turns and we find ourselves broke again, no better for having received anything, hoping that the wheel will speed up its progress so we may come into a state of wealth again.

Actually kind of reminds me of the joy surrounding payday; Yea!! We have money!! Then we pay the bills; Dammit, nevermind :rolleyes:. Maybe next payday...lol.

Not how I've ever read the card, mind you, that's just how it came into my head today :).

starrystarrynight

That's it! Thanks! :D

Sebavin

Yeah, I actually had to Google it, ssn, I kept thinking "...something man......something man..." lol. I knew it started with a V but I couldn't place it :).

tarotlyn

Here is the wheel of fortune in the fenestra deck...

What I like about it, is that there is only ONE person on the wheel...

So...when the card is upright...the person "is on top"... of life!

...and when the card is reversed...they are showing as "on the bottom" of life...

I like this deck anyway from an artistic standpoint.

http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/377/Fenestra#11

You can see more of this deck by clicking on the "prev" and "next" links at
the top of the card. (just in case you want to see which deck I am talking about...)

:heart: tarotlyn

mythos

Gosh, I go to sleep for 48 hours and look at all the magic that has happened while I was having a Sci-Fi nightmare:D

I have already collected together and printed out a heap of circular diagrams etc, though not the one in Venice added by frelkins (thanks heaps), nor did the Vitruvian Man (thanks) end up in my collection. Both have now :thumbsup:

I already have painted a 'hand' on the canvas, thanks Umbrae :D though I didn't know the tradition.

There are so many ideas here, some I've had, many that never occurred to me. Part of the problem is that I had a very basic idea (three TdM type figures caught in one of those wheels that mice run around in endlessly, with the wheel turned by the hand of Lady Fortuna - her face looking in from the top right hand corner), but I only rough sketched it, didn't really think it through thoroughly enough, and began painting before I was really ready. Consequence ... a mess!

I have the Pearls of Wisdom deck, though I don't, intentionally, look at my 300+ decks for ideas. I don't want to be too influences by others work. Besides ... it is really depressing seeing so many of the decks which are brilliant - makes me want to give up and sink into the slough of despond. I do have a long narrow painting which I did years ago, with a different subject focus, which is chockers with circles and spheres (I love them) winding and weaving, and I do intend to incorporate that idea into this painting.

I think that there is much that I can incorporate from your ideas as well. Thanks and a mountain of them :love:

The most ludicrous but appropriate thing with this painting is that, according to the Angeles Arrien system of working out one's cards, my creativity card is the Wheel of Fortune. I do create in cycles, and I feel ground down, as well as having ground to a halt. Yet ... this is the painting which is just aching to emerge. The Magician is my soul card ... I like that link with him (Thanks Nova :love:); he's playing tricks with me; and I have just finished my personality card - the Sun.

I am not particularly happy with either of these paintings, which I suspect tells you more about me than my work. Just a tad fragile at the moment. So what's new!~

I cannot thank you all enough for your help. Some images you wrote of presented themselves so clearly in my mind ... others, not so clearly. I don't know yet what will become part of the painting, and what wont. These paintings always grow in unexpected ways anyway.

Eventually the finished image will end up on the Tarot Creation Thread ... but don't hold your communal breaths. I work ever so slowly. Although more memories dribble out of my left ear leaving a sticky mess, than stay in my brain these days, I will try to remember to post on this thread when I have finished the painting. After all ... you are all helping me do my work :D

mythos:)

The crowned one

Two images always come to mind for me. The three fates spinning away and tossing that eye back and forth.

My other image is the carnival, you know when you have to walk that gauntlet of bright spinning lights and beautiful painted wheels with money attached to the outer rim. The clickings of the big wheels, men calling you over to win at THEIR wheel.The mirrors relfecting the faces of the gamblers, mild disappointments, glee for a small win. The return/odds if you take a chance posted all over the place and the sound of "we have a winner here folks, come try your luck! " the feel and smell of the air.

tmgrl2

This, too, shall pass.

Funny, The Wheel came up last night while I was reading for my granddaughter....in a CC, environment position.

I reminded her that if she tried to hard to hold on to the "good times" then she would try equally as hard to rid herself of pain and difficulty when they came.

I suggested that she practice saying...this too shall pass during the happy and peaceful moments, to remind herself not to grab on to them as if they are forever...that this can make it easier when the difficult times come to realize that they, too, will pass.

t

Skysteel

mythos said:
I am having some problems painting my Wheel of Fortune Canvas. I thought is would be interesting, and hopefully useful, to ask what immediately comes to mind when you think of the card. It might be an image, a symbol, a word, a sentence, a thought, a feeling/emotion, an experience ... or, as in my case, absolutely nothing:D (not true ... but I am a bit stuck).

Help?????????????

Hi mythos.
- :)

When I think of the Wheel of Fortune, I typically 'see' an eight-spoked Dharmacakra, then the 'Magic the Gathering' card, 'Wheel of Fortune', although in this later case, the image is reflected left-to-right, and there's a lightning bolt striking the wheel.
- :confused:

celticnoodle

Annabelle said:
I think of amusement park rides that go in circles . . . I know that the Ferris wheel image has already been done in Samantha's tarot (and maybe others as well), but there are many different rides that take people in circles . . .

I think of being kind of stuck in a turning wheel that we cannot get out of. Fate. The turning of fate. A sense of inevitability.
this got me to thinking of a ride that I 'watched' my daughter on many years ago. It was a pirate ship, and you sat on the ship while it rocked, slowly at first, and then quite fast as it kept going. soon it did a complete circle. Man! even watching it left me sea-sick!

reading your thought here and recalling that helps me to see the Wheel of Fortune card in a new way--and hopefully it'll help me to understand it more. I always detested this card--never could really wrap myself around understanding it, but this has helped! thanks! and, what a GREAT item to use to describe the wheel of fortune--a ride like the ferris wheel or this awful pirate ship one. :laugh: it was 'fortunate' that she could actually walk off that darn ride--in one piece! others however, were half carried off..........

mary ventura

I think of the Grateful Dead :smoker: song -- here are a couple of the verses:

The Wheel

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down,
You can't let go and you can't hold on,
You can't go back and you can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod,
Big wheel turn by the grace of God,
Every time that wheel turn 'round,
Bound to cover just a little more ground.​