Archetypia (In Progress)

Ryan

Re: The Warning

~nod~ That is fair - but I suppose a certain defensiveness at being misunderstood can be appreciated on my part owing to my work choices and hence a polite warning for those who might not be as mature about the artistic expressions of others as you are.

This card, while depicting the awakening of the faceless woman as I said, is functionally a new depiction of a Dark Goddess called Baphomet by one of the Orders I am an adherent of. The depiction of Baphomet prior to this Order was firmly established to be a hermaphroditic goat as per the hearsay from the inquest of the Knights Templar and the difference of opinion as to the nature, meaning and distortion of this particular archetype and its symbolism. The history behind Baphomet as represented by the Order in question is fascinating but differs greatly from the Goat version of Eliphas Levi - and XV is in accordance with that change in representation. What Baphomet represents in terms of her association to Lucifer, Traditional Satanism, Sacrifice, the Giving, is largely invisible to anyone whose occult apprehensions are built on the qaballah - the cards I draw now as opposed to those I undertook for the Order when younger no longer feel the need to clutter the image with endless or even many tributes and symbolisms of what is to me a very simple archetype: the Sinister Feminine. Here we have the symbolism of a faceless dark goddess severing the head of the Dark God Lucifer - a practice rumoured to be undertaken by said Order in one of its Rituals as the Order says was practiced by Solar Cults from Albion. Behind Baphomet an army of similar faceless entities each clutching the innocuous kitchen knife advance forward to repeat the bloody heirosgamos. Lucifer's role in the system used by the Order is to cojoin with Baphomet - and this is repreated by the Satanic Priest and Priestess who use a crystal tetrahedron to open a gateway to the acausal and release the Dark Gods.

That at least is some of the story of Baphomet: but I don't think it is dark myself either - because I understand the necessity of what might be called Dark Acts that this card is intended to be a representation of. What I had originally wanted to do as I said, is show the difference between my art now and then by comparing it with a former and older deck of cards I had created.

I don't expect anyone to know, or understand the difference between my Baphomet and other satanic representations: what I do expect is that it is considered untenable to suggest to an artist that they have not done enough research or have missed out this or that. And I on my part admit to being resentful of having my artwork compared to a Setian depiction: but who could know my own venom towards that group - so my apologies also ravenwing and thank you for your msg.

Now that I'm a little more aware of what can be done:
http://rapidshare.com/files/138662511/CHANGE_VII.jpg.html

For comparison, here are my older versions of Change.
http://rapidshare.com/files/138664165/8.jpg.html

I suppose, on reflection that these are not particularly dark cards. Though as I have said, I also find an essential aspec of the Sinister to be Beauty. And I at least, think my cards are beautiful.

Isn't the difference in art striking?

sacredashes

I would love to view your cards, Ryan but as I mentioned in my PM to you, the site is giving me problems so I will wait till you post them up if you are going to do so.

I do agree with you that dark isn't always as it seems; to me dark art is beautiful and its melancholic depending on the artists' protrayal of his/her work.

To me its not dark colors or dark imagery that makes darkart dark, rather its the message the artist is trying to convey and more often than not, it is the artist's perception of truth (versions of it) that is dark. Art when used as a tool to communicate a message just heightens the intensity of that message because it is visual. When I try to understand the meaning of what it says that disturbs me; even if the painting or photo seems benign; bright and cheery.

Written words would have the same effect if the author yeilds the pen as a master craftsman; its all up to the viewer to interprete. Sometimes, just pouring out your vision is a form of release; I think its a way of liberating the visions sent to you; freeing them through your artwork and that is what I am looking forward to see. Your vision in your mind's eye.

There is beauty in everything if we look for it; there is ugliness in everything if that is all we look for as well.

If there aren't any attachments posted soon, I think I will email you to bug you for the image afterall! ;)

Ash

mysticmonkey

Hi, just a quick suggestion but until you decide to become a subscriber I would suggest that you use http://photobucket.com/ to host your images. That way people only have to click the link to go straight to the image. :)
You have to jump through too many hoops with rapidshare that it's only really best for larger zip files etc, that are one off downloads not multiple images.

GryffinSong

Am I just computer illiterate today? When I click on the link, it looks like I have to download the image to my computer in order to view it? Is there some way to view them without downloading them?

Thanks. :)

mysticmonkey

GryffinSong said:
Am I just computer illiterate today? When I click on the link, it looks like I have to download the image to my computer in order to view it? Is there some way to view them without downloading them?

Thanks. :)
Nope, that's the way Rapidshare works, hence my suggestion to use Photobucket instead as I'm sure the way the images are currently hosted is putting a lot of people off looking at them.

gregory

catbaloo said:
Nope, that's the way Rapidshare works, hence my suggestion to use Photobucket instead as I'm sure the way the images are currently hosted is putting a lot of people off looking at them.
Yes - it is :D Direct links from a regular image hosting site would be way better. Then again - this way may be less moderated; I bet these images would need an 18 restriction on flickr, for instance...

Erzebet

Couldn't you put your images on photobucket or something else? Rapidshare makes you wait like an hour or more between downloads! Raidshare is more for game downloads and large files.

I really want to see all your work :)

Sidhe-Ra

If there's any kind of nudity, photobucket will block it. I had paintings with breasts in that were blocked! I'm having trouble seeing these, too.

sacredashes

I think blogspot.com might work. They have a family-safety feature that warns of provocative images. Maybe that would work too for journaling the progress of your artwork.

Ash

Umbrae

Worked great - good images.