Power of discouraging readings...

Ms.SarahS

Shebelle said:
I read tarot, am good at reading for others. This fall I was obsessively asking my deck about a new relationship with a guy I had been interested in for some time. We had begun dating. The spreads I drew were consistently, shockingly negative, which in turn made me second guess all the positive signs he was giving me. It was so bad a friend asked, "What is it about M that makes you turn into this negative person? Why can't you believe he likes you?"

It was so bad, I broke it off with him. That is a decision that I think was "right" (because I had recently broken off an engagement and was still getting my sea legs back), but I recently ran into him...and though I felt some tension between us, I also think he may still be carrying a torch. And my friends think so too.

Naturally, I asked my deck and the answers are all pretty much the same: "You will never, ever hear from him again and you're misinterpreting his actions."

I am so discouraged that I am second-guessing things again and worried that I could blow a second chance.

Sorry this is so long. My questions are:

1) Do you generally put more stock into the readings you give yourself or do you start to just use "real world" common sense?

2) Is it just a bad idea to ask the tarot stuff like this for yourself if you are too close to the situation?

3) Can negative thoughts and feelings on the part of the querent affect the reading the cards give? Like, my hopefulness being met by discouragement turned me upside down and I wonder if I'm now no longer able to draw a reading re: my love life that is positive.

I think that you need to give yourself space between the cards and the decisions you make in life sometimes. There have been situations where no matter what the card was I would change the meaning to something I wanted to hear.

Take a breather and think about what decision would you have made if you hadn't consulted the cards.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :)

Shebelle

Thank you, Anna for the clarification. Maybe when I can work up enough courage, I'll try that spread :)

Frannie and Sarah - thank you and I will keep in mind!!

Gypsyspell

HI , Sounds like you have had what i call a Macbeth moment, The reading turned out to be accurate as you fulfilled the propesy yourself-Now things may change.

Seafra

Shebelle said:
1) Do you generally put more stock into the readings you give yourself or do you start to just use "real world" common sense?

Combination of both usually but I pay LOTS of attention to very strong messages from my cards.

2) Is it just a bad idea to ask the tarot stuff like this for yourself if you are too close to the situation?

If I'm having a 'bad week' I'll stay away from reading for myself but ordinarily I'd say no. You can always use the Your Readings forum if you're iffy on a reading.

3) Can negative thoughts and feelings on the part of the querent affect the reading the cards give? Like, my hopefulness being met by discouragement turned me upside down and I wonder if I'm now no longer able to draw a reading re: my love life that is positive.

Sure. If I'm angry or feeling unbalanced it affects my readings. That's when I know it is time to put them away for a while. I'm sure you can talk yourself into believing you can't read for yourself. Try to stay away from emotional issues for a while and see what happens. Ask about mundane stuff -- grocery shopping trips, what you'll think of a TV program or book and things of that nature. Maybe that will help you shake it.

Good luck :)

Shebelle

Thank you Gypsy and Seafra for the advice and for sharing your experiences. I am still doing daily draws about my day -- mundane, for sure. But I think a breather from the big stuff is good for me. And I can read other people's tarot in the forum...which always brings me a lot of joy :) Thanks again to all.

nisaba

Shebelle said:
I read tarot, am good at reading for others. This fall I was obsessively asking my deck about a new relationship with a guy I had been interested in for some time. We had begun dating. The spreads I drew were consistently, shockingly negative, which in turn made me second guess all the positive signs he was giving me. It was so bad a friend asked, "What is it about M that makes you turn into this negative person? Why can't you believe he likes you?"

You *have* to use real-world common sense. It evolved over a million years to help us find food and not get eaten by predators. It is about doing things right. It ensures survival - physical and emotional.

Also, I have a problem with your opening paragraph. You say that you were "obsessively asking your deck" about this guy. could it be that you got one or two halfway positive readings in the beginning, but you didn't trust them and kept asking over and over, and throwing negatives at you was the deck's way of saying "stop asking already"? I find personally that if I ask too often about a given issue, the deck feels as if I doubt its previous answer, and gets quite unpleasant with me - which I think is fair. After all, if you were a kid in a schoolroom and you put your hand up and asked the teacher how to spell "green" once or even twice they'd tell you, but if you asked fifty times in two days they'd start to get pretty angry.

Shebelle said:

That's why I tend to swap readings with someone I don't know all that well every so often. A part of my practising code of ethics says something like: "I will receive a reading from a competent reader once a year and act immediately on any issues they see." It is much easier to read for someone you don't know than for someone you do know, and it is much easier to read for a friend than for yourself. It is bloody hard reading for yourself, at least about the Big Stuff. Why? Because you sit down with your own ideas and feelings about the situation before you even shuffle. Any thoughts you might be having about other people's input, any emotions you may be feeling, will get shuffled in, even if they are purely in your own head and in no way reflect the situation around you.

Shebelle said:

Absolutely they can!

My advice is this. Stop reading about your personal life for a while, just go out and live it. If he is nice to you, do NOT assume he is hiding something. If you have fun, don't be suspicious of the fun. Live a little. You'll be a lot happier than pushing someone away who from this distance seemed to just want to enjoy your company, and fuming over a set of cards that feel unrespected because of the constant repetitions anyway.

Cleanse the space you read in - redecorate if possible. remove associations of your recent unhappiness from the who arena of Tarot in your life. Do readings for your neighbour's canary - but leave your love-life alone for a while, just go out and enjoy it. Then in a little while - see how you feel then. Only "ask the cards" if there is an actual problem to ask about.

robynleigh

I personally don't even read for events that are occurring in my life that I am too close to at the moment. I am still new to tarot, but I found that reading on situations like why my boyfriend and I are not doing well when I'm too caught up in it often stresses me out even more. I can't believe the emotions I feel when doing a reading like that. My heart is racing. If I don't get an answer I was hoping for, I get very uncomfortable.

Since then I've stopped doing this. If I am too emotionally attached or involved with a situation I just won't read for it. I think your feelings are easily projected onto the cards, and any worries, doubts, fears or stresses can appear and just make things very unsettling. I will read on it though when I've calmed down from the event or problem and can focus clearly. I think, in cases like this, it's better to read after the fact, so you can learn from event and I think the cards will be more accurate when you're no longer so attached.

Seafra

nisaba said:
It is bloody hard reading for yourself, at least about the Big Stuff. Why? Because you sit down with your own ideas and feelings about the situation before you even shuffle. Any thoughts you might be having about other people's input, any emotions you may be feeling, will get shuffled in, even if they are purely in your own head and in no way reflect the situation around you.

I have to disagree with you here. This is your personal truth. My experience is that it isn't hard to read for myself but my mind set has to be right. I have to be in touch with my "High Priestess" or "Hierophant" aspects. Queen of Pents mindset can sometimes help -- that is to say I'm 'hospitable' to my cards, invite them in, shuffle and visit a bit. In fact I sometimes have conversations with my cards -- verbal blogging if you will.

I can't go into it with wand/fire/enthusiasm or cup/emotion and if I'm too sword/logical I miss those special insights -- but I will often return with logic and "Sherlock Holmes" the results I've gotten.

I can't be sobbing my eyes out ("why doesn't he love me!"), cursing (well, that sometimes works for me but I'm cursing AT my cards not about someone else), or jumping up to fetch a drink, answer a phone, have the TV on in the background and expect to channel properly. Some here can do that -- not I.

And if someone decides it isn't going to work, they can't do it, well, I wouldn't doubt it's not going to work for them.

My drawback is my readings don't cover a great length of time. This could be because I knew the Celtic Cross only when I started and did that layout for daily readings. I've heard the rule of thumb is up to 3 months but that's not my personal experience at all when I read for myself.

I must break out of using a CC for everything (she said for the nth to the 3rd time .... )

nisaba

Seafra said:
I have to disagree with you here. This is your personal truth. My experience is that it isn't hard to read for myself but my mind set has to be right. I have to be in touch with my "High Priestess" or "Hierophant" aspects.
And if your strongest emotions are all tangled up, that's well-nigh impossible for most people.

Grizabella

If I understood your first post right, you said that you let your negative Tarot readings influence you into ending this relationship. Did I read that right? In that case, this time around with this guy, I'd lock up the cards and never touch them to read for the relationship.

A little something I want to share with you:

If I had read the cards when I met my late husband, chances are that I'd have had readings with a disastrous end. But if I let them warn me away from him, I'd have missed out on the 15 best years of my life and the lives of my kids. :)

Put the cards away, dear one. Just follow your own common sense and let it guide you this time. :heart: