Keeping a Tarot Journal

MikeTheAltarboy

... but I had the webserver running anyway for my local wiki software that I'm using for my university notes. :)

That is genius. :bugeyed: Why didn't you mention-this-in-passing to me a decade ago?!

Winterchild

Evernote - Eyebright

I don't know what Evernote is, is it related to Microsoft Office OneNote?
This came with my office package and I have found it very useful in keeping a tarot journal. It's stored on my computer and I can change fonts, add pictures and tags etc to everything I add. I have different notebooks within OneNote, for receipes, Tarot etc.
Then within the Tarot notebook I have different tabs/sections for different tarot topics, eg. Majors, Wands, Cups, wishlist, spreads etc, then within each of these sections you can create seperate pages for each individual card etc.

This came with my office package and I have found it very useful in keeping a tarot journal. It's stored on my computer and I can change fonts, add pictures and tags etc to everything I add. I have different notebooks within OneNote, for receipes, Tarot etc.
Then within the Tarot notebook I have different tabs/sections for different tarot topics, eg. Majors, Wands, Cups, wishlist, spreads etc, then within each of these sections you can create seperate pages for each individual card etc.

From what I have heard of Onenote, Evernote is similar... I use a Mac but I believe they do a Windows version and it is free. It is fabulous.. you can get stuff synced to l devices, it has little sub apps for drawing, web clipping etc.... I love the new version. There is a member here a_gnostic who is quite an expert on this app and I have been very much enabled to it in this thread. It is fantastic, and it has helped my Tarot study no end.

In the past I have had many journals..but I suck at organisation so everything gets mixed up and hard to find. Having a built in organiser is a dream! Now if they could just devise a robot called Everhouse... I would be happy!

a_gnostic

Evernote has basically all of these functions: notes within notebooks, notebooks within stacks (like folders), full tagging, rich text formatting (changing fonts, for example), pictures, audio recordings, cross-linking notes (i.e. you can create a hyperlink in one note that takes you to another note when you click it), and so forth. It also lets you take a picture with your phone's or tablet's camera and file it directly as a new note (or added to an existing note).

All (I'm pretty sure) of the Evernote client programs are free and available for Mac OS X, Windows, Windows 8, iOS (iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, and iPad Touch), Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, and HP's WebOS devices. You also have full (secure) access through any web browser on their web portal.

All of this is free, including the storage on their servers, with reasonable but generous limitations. You can also purchase a Premium subscription to boost your monthly upload limits, get offline notebooks, "publish" (share) particular notebooks with others (particular people or everyone), and other stuff.

With Premium, when you add a PDF or image to/as a note, the Evernote server automatically scans it with Optical Character Recognition, and this makes much of the non-textual content searchable(!). Currently their Premium prices are $5/month or $45/year. (I have no connection with them other than being a happy -- Premium -- user for several years now.)

They also have a freely-available "web clipper" plug-in for Safari, Chrome and Firefox. This lets you take a "snapshot" of most web pages (except for certain highly complex ones), and at that moment, you can also select which notebook it goes into, which tags it gets (with typeahead searching on the tags you've assigned and used before), and add your own textual notes. When you create the clip, it gets sent to Evernote's servers and then appears on all of your Evernote apps through automatic synchronization.

It really is a slick service and a slick set of applications. And it pretty much doesn't (and won't) tie you to any manufacturer's devices: not Microsoft's, not Apple's. The company appears to be in this for the long-haul.

Oh, one more thing. I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it's worth repeating. Evernote doesn't hold your data hostage. From the Evernote application on Mac or Windows, you can export any or all of your notes in either HTML (web page) format or "XML" (a special tagged text) format right on your own hard disk. So basically, you don't need to rely on Evernote's servers to protect your information, and you can access it (in either of those forms) without any application from Evernote. (This can be complicated, but it's do-able!)

I don't mean to deluge anyone with all of this information at once, and you really don't need to know much about all of this flexibility to get good use out of it on a single computer or device. If you use it for a while, though, you'll probably find it so useful that these extra features seem like miracles. But it does seem to have everything you need and more to create a wonderful Tarot journal.

Three images are attached below:
  • The first shows the operating systems and platforms that Evernote supports.
  • The second shows a screen capture of the form that pops up when you activate the web clipper. In the latter example, only part of the page is highlighted which shows how you can select portions of a web page to clip (and avoid clipping all the other junk that surrounds what you're interested in keeping.)
  • The third is an example showing the list of "Mysticism" notebooks in my personal Evernote library: each name you see there is a separate notebook which can contain many notes. The "Tarot - RDJ" notebook is my personal Tarot notebook; everything else is reference material I've either collected or written up for my own use.

Attachments

• app platforms.jpg
    app platforms.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 69
  • web clipper.jpg
    web clipper.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 67
  • a_gnostic notebooks.jpg
    a_gnostic notebooks.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 76

cwilkerson883

I journal my personal readings and interpretations. I write what I think my cards indicate and then write how my day actually went on the room I leave on the bottom. I use a composition notebook (super sturdy with plenty of room and inexpensive and I use stick on label tabs that poke out of my book to seperate card meanings, spreads, readings, and Misc. That way I can flip to where I wanna go and write. Misc. Is where I keep experiments, (like trying to tell time with cards) and practice readings (drawing cards for fictional characters from books or movies is fun and good practice) and random tarot excercises.

That's how I tarot journal