Are we plateauing?

KMilliron

I'm prolly considered a "newer" member, and I do make a conscience effort not to be tedious or redundant. I realize a lot of my music readings would be considered "Career" or "relationship" depending on what aspect I read on, but I try.

I don't really participate in the hardcore conversations "This deck brand versus this deck brand" or "Really specific deck from this year price?" because I don't have expertise there, but if you want lyrics spreads or ideas on using tarot for song inspiration I can help :D

gregory

who said the problem was the lack of humor here in the forum? :)
Anyone see Lillie's post in the erotic decks thread yesterday ? Humour is alive and shocking...

You think I was joking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQyfAWCRj7s

This thing can watch you. And listen to the damn jingle, it's all about being a good little illuminati slave.

So VERY true. I ABSOLUTELY believe.

We need a thread... })

KM, believe me, your posts are noticed. "Ripples" does not begin to describe... :D })

le_charior

You think I was joking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQyfAWCRj7s

This thing can watch you. And listen to the damn jingle, it's all about being a good little illuminati slave.

OMG that is HILARIOUS! all the people at the end doing the sign with their fingers! and how cute the little evil "big brother is watching you" bunny is!

but back to the topic!

As I said, the problem is not the newbies, although I do think that 'newbie' questions sometimes have more prevalence than others. But this is not a problem per se - the problem is an overall mentality that keeps us from discussing more advanced matters so we are always stuck in the newbie level... (perhaps outside of the historical side - the history forums seem very active).

I don't really understand your point there, Marina. To me, the overall mentality, if we want to call it like this, of this forum is amazingly friendly, open, sharing and rich, intelectually and emotionally. I am not able to say if this comes mostly from older threads, and if lately this might have changed, but I don't have the impression. And what does stop you or any other of the older members discussing whatever advanced matters you have? I would be happy to read them and most likely just follow the discussion quietly if I don't feel I have anything to add because it is too advanced for me - and I guess most newbies would do the same, no?

MareSaturni

I don't really understand your point there, Marina. To me, the overall mentality, if we want to call it like this, of this forum is amazingly friendly, open, sharing and rich, intelectually and emotionally. I am not able to say if this comes mostly from older threads, and if lately this might have changed, but I don't have the impression. And what does stop you or any other of the older members discussing whatever advanced matters you have? I would be happy to read them and most likely just follow the discussion quietly if I don't feel I have anything to add because it is too advanced for me - and I guess most newbies would do the same, no?

*sigh*

The forum is wonderful, I wouldn't be here for such a long time if it wasn't. I made wonderful friends and had access to great things thanks to the forum. I had the opportunity of meeting many forum members in real life, and it was one of the best times in my life. I even found true love here.

So don't take me wrong - I think this forum is friendly and open too. But not always when it comes to certain topics. Usually the discussions are not 'advanced' in tarot-reading level, not at all, they are just more thorny subjects. I have been trashed and misquoted here but some members for daring to question certain behaviors regarding tarot. I have been called prejudiced because I tend to say my opinion very openly. Because I say "I disagree with this practice" instead of saying "anything that feels right IS right and perfect and should never ever be challenged :* :heart:".

I have made mistakes, I have changed my mind many times and acknowledged that openly. I have apologized when I expressed myself in the wrong way. I am not perfect but I try to learn from my mistakes. I accept to have my beliefs/ideas questioned, because I do that to myself constantly. But many people in the forum are not so open to that.

Nowadays I think 5 times before posting any topic that could, in anyway, question or challenge any individual practices or beliefs attached to tarot, because I got tired of the offended reactions. I decided I am a bad writer and cannot make myself understood. And, talking to other ATers, I know I am not the only one who feels like that - who is either trashed or ignored for talking about things in a less politically-correct manner.

I try to enjoy the forum in a light way, answering questions, helping with readings, exchanging readings, PMing friends... when it comes to discussions here, I confess I am sometimes left with a pervasive sense of ennui.

gregory

Marina - I know the threads you mean - but I think that while they can get quite - lively - your points do come across (not a generic you; I mean YOU PERSONALLY !) I generally end up in arguments too - but I refuse to let it get to me unless I can SEE that I am wrong, in which case I will come out and say so.

The issue is respecting the beliefs of others; a very few people here refuse to do that. Sure you may know they are wrong. They know that you are :D. But there are OK ways to say that and less OK ways.

That's what the ignore button is for. :D

I LOVE your discussion threads. As you know. })

le_charior

Sorry Marina, didn't want to make you sigh!

I get what you mean, but as I understand it, the "plateauing" question is a different one from what you describe, the let's call it "tarot police" question, where it is not possible or at least difficult to question certain tarot behaviors, no? (If i weren't afraid to make you sigh even more, I would ask if you care to elaborate on which behaviors you were referring too... ;)) Or is it related?

Well to me it is still all roses and sunshine and being a big eyed kid at christmas morning looking at the wonders of the tarot world... hope I can keep that happy feeling here for a long long time!

Soaring Eagle

As a newbie, I'd like to give my opinion. There are many reasons I chose to join this forum. I have searched for forums on tarot, and they are boring, take ages to load their "garbage" at the top of site, that nobody reads anyway, are not very active, etc. etc..... This forum is very "alive". There is a chance to learn here, and I learned a lot while I was waiting to join. I'm not "new" to tarot, but to my way of thinking, there is ALWAYS more to learn. I guess that's my mother's fault, she told us growing up to never accept things as they are, because tomorrow they would be different. I'm always open to learning a new idea, a new way of doing things, and that seems to be accepted here.

Yes, I'm sure I may eventually ask a question that has been asked before. If I do, please understand that I have researched the question in the old posts, and didn't find a satisfactory answer, or I am sure views have changed on the subject. I am a firm believer in doing personal research before asking "same old same old" questions. Sometimes one posts an old question, simply because they don't see much traffic on the site, and are just looking for human interaction, I'm sure that's not a problem here, as I have noted a great many people here at all times.

Hopefully I have not offended anybody, because that is TRULY not my intention. Just a note to let the "old" guys see why "newbies" are drawn to this forum. I was truly upset that I had to wait a month to sign up. I had questions, and nobody to ask. In that month of waiting I saw some of my questions answered on new posts, and research done by other means have answered a question or two, but it's not the same as asking, and getting many views, rather than one person's.

Thank you for this forum.

gregory

I think what Marina means is more that she has given up trying because of the results.

Welcome, Soaring Eagle. And DO just ask. That isn't the issue, I think.

MareSaturni

Marina - I know the threads you mean - but I think that while they can get quite - lively - your points do come across (not a generic you; I mean YOU PERSONALLY !) I generally end up in arguments too - but I refuse to let it get to me unless I can SEE that I am wrong, in which case I will come out and say so.

The issue is respecting the beliefs of others; a very few people here refuse to do that. Sure you may know they are wrong. They know that you are :D. But there are OK ways to say that and less OK ways.

That's what the ignore button is for. :D

I LOVE your discussion threads. As you know. })

Thank Gregory! You are an enlightened soul, and it has always been a pleasure to both agree and (rarely) disagree with you. ;) I know I can be pretty fiery and a tad... rude... when discussing passionately (Mercury in Scorpio, lol!), but I think people need to feel shaken sometimes in order to think. I just got tired of people missing the point of the discussion (the idea) and focusing on how I am this' and 'that'.

Sorry Marina, didn't want to make you sigh!

It's okay, lol! Sighing makes me more dramatic.
Sadly you cannot see here a video of me throwing my arm across my forehead and turning my eyes upward like a romantic heroine about to faint due to stress :laugh: ;)

I get what you mean, but as I understand it, the "plateauing" question is a different one from what you describe, the let's call it "tarot police" question, where it is not possible or at least difficult to question certain tarot behaviors, no? (If i weren't afraid to make you sigh even more, I would ask if you care to elaborate on which behaviors you were referring too... ;)) Or is it related?

It is related, because these... intolerant reactions to 'thorny' topics... make people who like to 'question' more unwilling to do so, and contributes to the 'plateauing' of the discussion in the forum. I do not blame newbies for posting newbies questions, as it is their absolute right to do so - I blame long-timers (like myself) for limiting themselves to answer these question and never come up with more thought-provoking topics. That said, I know why some of us end up like this - we get tired of the easily-offended people, who see any questioning as a disrespectful act against their personal practices.

I am not going to discuss these topics here, as I am not a peaceful person who only nods, waves and smile. :love:

(Actually I'm a beast under control - ask Gregory and TCO, lol! }) )

Well to me it is still all roses and sunshine and being a big eyed kid at christmas morning looking at the wonders of the tarot world... hope I can keep that happy feeling here for a long long time!

AT is wonderful! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here for a long time! My first account was from 2001 - I have been here for almost 10 years and, despite my rants, I am still around... ;)

le_charior

It's okay, lol! Sighing makes me more dramatic.
Sadly you cannot see here a video of me throwing my arm across my forehead and turning my eyes upward like a romantic heroine about to faint due to stress :laugh: ;)

That IS sad! I'll just imagine it. May I also suggest the gesture called Diadem, as shown on this side, fourth image down the site? http://old.hannover.gay-web.de/huk/wissenswert/wiss-schwulenklischees.htm It's suited for romantic heroines and any other sort of, erm, queens... That's what I would use in this situation!