Charging for Readings

MoonStarBlue14

If you want to add Tarot and Oracle Card Readings to your business, how do you know how much to charge? I have seen varying amounts from just a few dollars up to $40 to $50. As a beginner it to me would be crazy to charge on the high end, but charging on the low end might appear as though you are not very good or that you are trying to lowball other readers. How do you decide on a price and know that morally and ethically you are being fair to both your client and yourself? Thank you and I look forward to and appreciate any all responses.

Darkmage

Go see some of the readers in their area and find out what they're charging. Then aim for the middle of the range. That way you're not charging too much or too little.

Around here, readings usually go for $20 for 15 minutes, or $80/hr. Once again, some readers charge more, some less. Just do some research.

If you want to read online, look around for the same thing.

MoonStarBlue14

Darkmage,

Thank you for responding to my post. That is really helpful advice, I was thinking about that after I posted it. But also I thought it best to ask it here as I know that there are many readers in here at all different levels and I figured that it couldn't hurt to get perspective from a variety of people. Again Thank you.

HeatherRose

Hello!
I too have had this question, as I started to charge for my readings and reiki about a year and a half ago. I was in the same situation...feeling that if I charge too much, maybe I was going too high, but charging too low made it seem I wasn't competent enough.
I have been to many readers in my area over the years, some are "a dollar a minute" with the minimum being 30 minutes. Others are $35 for 20 minutes. Some go up to close to $100. Some I feel I get my money's worth, some I do not. And, with my own financial situation, I was not always able to go to a "high end" reader due to the pricey readings. I work full time, but now do readings and reiki on the side out of my home. I advertise locally and through friends, as well as my day job. My prices reflect what I think is fair for what I offer, and also are not so high that people who feel they could benefit from my services are unable to afford me. I do not put a time limit on my readings, so I feel I can charge a little bit more since a timer doesn't go off and people are then left with more questions and no more time (that seems to be the "gimmick" in the region I live, not sure about everywhere else), but I choose not to leave people with more questions than they came with and also, I don't want to use a "luring" technique. The whole reason i am doing what I'm doing is to help people in my own way. I feel that with tarot readings, you almost take on the role of therapist or counselor in a sense, and I take that very seriously. Do I want to make some income from my services? Of course! But I also have been on the other end of the scene and I want to be able to provide something more for the people that come to me. So...in that respect, I feel that I offer a bit more than the typical reader in my area. Though I may not have the recognition that I'd like at this point in time, I know I'm moving forward with it because I get A LOT of word-of-mouth clients as well as repeat customers. I would say to go with what feels right to you. You know what you offer...what would you be willing (and also able) to pay for the services you provide. And what do you feel your time and energy are worth? Everyone is different...just because someone charges $20 doesn't mean they aren't very good, but a $100 reading may not be what someone feels is up to snuff either. So it's up to you to figure out your price range according to what you offer and know that it's going to work for some but not for all, and that it's what YOU feel comfortable with that will move you forward.
Good luck!!

nisaba

If you want to add Tarot and Oracle Card Readings to your business, how do you know how much to charge? I have seen varying amounts from just a few dollars up to $40 to $50.
Don't undercut what others in your community charge. It loses everybody (including, eventually, you) a lot of business, and creates a lot of ill-will. There'll be an accepted rate in your community - there is, here.

As a beginner it to me would be crazy to charge on the high end, but charging on the low end might appear as though you are not very good or that you are trying to lowball other readers.
Start offering readings when you know in yourself you are offering fair value.

How do you decide on a price and know that morally and ethically you are being fair to both your client and yourself?

<smile> Doing readings is not an easy get-rich-quick scam. Offer readings for a fair price for your community. Make sure the readings you offer are worth that money before you start offering.

Kahlie

I am what probably is considered a high end Reader in my area. I have no problems with my pricing and neither do my clients. They know my value and they often bring in friends and family. I have an 50 minute appointment rate, but I also offer a few lower cost services for people who can't afford that (25 minute phone Readings, one card readings etc.)

I offer other services besides Readings and I have a lot of unpaid time that is invested as well (an hour during business days in which you can call to set up appointments, prep work that I always do before even meeting the client, administrative work, promotions etc. and I answer e-mails usually within 24 hours). I'm a professional and my rate is more around counselor/therapist which I think is very fair.

Think carefully on how you are going to do Readings, what you will be investing time/energy wise. Else you might end up losing out and I've seen a lot of people burn out because of that.

:heart:

Kahlie

Sar

Take full price, or nothing alt all. Never cheapen out, that will hurt other readers.

SunChariot

If you want to add Tarot and Oracle Card Readings to your business, how do you know how much to charge? I have seen varying amounts from just a few dollars up to $40 to $50. As a beginner it to me would be crazy to charge on the high end, but charging on the low end might appear as though you are not very good or that you are trying to lowball other readers. How do you decide on a price and know that morally and ethically you are being fair to both your client and yourself? Thank you and I look forward to and appreciate any all responses.

What I did was I read for a lot of people who are readers and asked their honest opinions on who much a reading from me was worth. I did that mainly with AT friends and on AT.
Interestingly, everyone came up with very close to the same amount, so it was easy to set the price after that.

Babs

jillkite

sliding scales

l like offering a sliding scale rather than a fixed price, then those who can afford less pay less. those who can afford to pay more, or who feel that they want to pay more, will pay more. i try to make sure that the minimum price i suggest is a figure that i will be happy to receive for a reading, then anything on top of that is a bonus.

Lizbeth

I haven't read for strangers just yet (I'm working my way up to that though!) but with my family & friends I just point them to some of my wishlists and let them pick whatever, I have things of various prices listed so I guess it would be considered "sliding scale". :)
(I also do this with any knitting work and it seems to go fine.)