Is tarot a woman's domain?

DarkElectric

Oh Merc!
Are you by any chance a Rorhig or Voyager man? There's just something about a big deck.....

WolfSpirit

jmd said:
I do not think it is the interest in Tarot per se, but the ways in which it may be talked about and communicated. Both the titles 'Tarot Café' and 'Time Out for Tarot' have a far more feminine aspect to them.

Maybe you should have a tarot pub, have some beer mats with images of tarot cards etc. to make tarot more attractive to men - and I would like it too, and I'm female.

purple_scorp

hedgecub said:
(If they were an endangered species, would we female tarot readers have to round them up and start an emergency breeding program? }) )

*would all available females of child-bearing age, please move to the front of the queue? (and line up behind hedgecub???)*

You were volunteering, I take it???? If you lived in Australia, at least you'd be eligible for the $3,000 baby grant that came in on 1 July.

BTW, Ferrous, I went to a psychic fair that was on the Mornington Peninsula and there were male readers there (well there was at least one). Hey, JMD, was that you by any chance? If so, I know what you look like. LOL.

Cheers

purple_scorp

AmbitiousMind

I'm male.

And none of my male friends are interested in learning tarot and think its odd that I read. And for the most part, we, as a group of guys, don't talk intimately about anything other than the newest upgrade we got for our paintgun or how the Lakers are doing or what new stock to add to our portfolio... you know... 'manly' things.

Am I saying tarot isn't manly? Well, maybe it isn't considering the straight sensitive, metro-sexual man has or is finding his 'feminine side'. But its not gender based. Just prefered by a specific gender.

Tarot is a sensitive activity. The High Priestess alone represents this characteristic. Unless a man wants to find his intuitive side, he probably won't be interested in tarot.

This is far from saying a 'manly man' cannot read tarot. They can. And can probably find that 'feminine side' if they did learn. But do they want to? Probably not.

Any single women out there looking to find that perfect man? Find one that can read tarot.

SongDeva

DarkElectric said:
Oh Merc!
Are you by any chance a Rorhig or Voyager man? There's just something about a big deck.....

DE, you slay me!
But remember, men with little decks can frequently read just as well, if not better.

contrascarpe

DarkElectric said:
Oh Merc!

Hehe ...

Truth be told, I am a Rohrig man (and enjoy the Voyager as well).

Advancing this discussion, I noticed something on Friday.....

I did three readings on Friday at the metaphysical shop I work at ..... during one of the readings, I had a "Eureka" moment. I realized that all of my readings thus far except for one have been for women (and the odd one out was for a baby, but that is another story). I found a pattern to all my readings - most are more concerned with relationship issues.

During my second reading, I realized that the women I was reading for actually were enjoying the fact that I could bring the male perspective to their reading .... in other words, they were being counselled by someone who actually understood the gender that so confused them. I actually became so bold as to mention this to the seeker - that I bring a male's perspective to her dilemma and she agreed that it was what she needed.

I used to think that women would be uncomfortable with a man reading for them, but I do not feel that way anymore. I am finding if I bring a calm, caring attitude to their reading (which is my style anyway), it can lead to positive results.

Dan

DarkElectric

I have had several readings from guys, and was delighted by their perspective on things. I can't describe the way in which the readings were different, it was subtle. However, I did notice that both of the local gentlemen who read for me used the Thoth deck (interesting) and gave awesome readings. In my experience, many (but not all) of the men who read use the Thoth. I wonder if that could be considered a "Manly" deck, being developed by Crowley and all? Even though Lady Frieda drew it, apparently every card was either approved,(or not,) by Crowley.
Given the stories as to his temperment and legendary vicissitudes, I'm sure that must have been quite a challenge for Lady Frieda. Great Work indeed.
However, I own a Thoth too. I absolutely love it :)

Dan, I hope you would be amenable to reading for me sometime. I think that would be really cool!
Maybe if we all can get together for the tarot group? Please, please? :p

And Deva, you are absolutely right! The skill those men have with their decks is amazing! It goes to prove that a deck in the hand is worth two on the shelf. Or something like that. (Oooooo...)

Cerulean

I was tinkering with an idea...

...some of the supposed Italian tarocchi poetry about courtly love and the assignment of ladies names with card virtues and vanities (before 1500) were composed by men for the pleasure of their mixed company (women and men) card games...in a few texts, one gets the idea that Maria Bianca was the mother of all tarots from early on...

It's true the more published writers and artists of those past days were men, so the poetic outbursts were recorded by men...but early paintings show women also playing cards.

The beginning of a mixed tarot interaction included men and women...but over hundreds of years, the gaming and divination aspects fell into different spheres of interest. I better not stretch this out any farther--I just welcome the interest of the individual soul who likes to combine their tarot with their life path these days.

Best wishes,

Cerulean Mari

contrascarpe

DarkElectric said:
Dan, I hope you would be amenable to reading for me sometime. I think that would be really cool!
Maybe if we all can get together for the tarot group? Please, please? :p

DarkElectric -

Anytime!!!! Hopefully Ms. SongDeva has some ideas when the next meeting will be (although I have been rather difficult on her, with the days she has chosen butting heads with my schedule).

Dan

BoPeep

AmbitiousMind said:

Am I saying tarot isn't manly? Well, maybe it isn't considering the straight sensitive, metro-sexual man has or is finding his 'feminine side'. But its not gender based. Just prefered by a specific gender.
Are you saying that women PREFER tarot? I'm not sure that this is entirely true. I know several men - who don't read, but are very interested in the readings. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if anyone ever asked them about it they would say that they are just 'humoring' me or something. They keep coming to me with questions though.

Any single women out there looking to find that perfect man? Find one that can read tarot.

And there's the rub. Single women looking for the perfect man. Women tend to want that 'sensitive' man in their fantasies, but in reality women tend toward the 'manly men'.

I think that this forces men into trying to be more 'manly' for the sake of getting a woman. Please don't take this to be any kind of pontification about how men are only after one thing - that isn't the point. My point is that human beings yearn for companionship - we are social creatures and physically need that interraction [did you know that we can and do become sick if we don't have 'touch'?] - and our genetics dictate 'survival of the species'. Both men and women 'show' different aspects of their personalities. Men believe they should be manly, and women believe they should be 'feminine'. That's just the way we are.

Did I make a point or just ramble? :) In any case.. off my soapbox now.
Bo