Is tarot a woman's domain?

lawguy51

jmd said:
Lawguy52 (;)), I concur... absolutely, without reservation... :)
53 now :(

Lawgeezer

Shalott

quote:Originally posted by jmd
Lawguy52 (), I concur... absolutely, without reservation...

53 now

Lawgeezer
(Even jmd is allowed 1 mistake a year...;) )

I think western society puts a LOT of pressure on men to fit into a very specific little mold, one that doesn't allow for much exploration of emotions, intuition, etc., basically the internal realm. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there's a healthy number of men here on the board.

I've also had very involved conversations with a male friend who was studying to be a psychologist, specifically family therapy, and there was a lot of emphasis on the differences between men and women. There are differences between the way our brains are constructed, neither is better or worse, just different. It doesn't preclude men from Tarot, but it does make it easy to see how it may be more initially attractive to women.

I would love to be at a Tarot ConventioConExpoFestORama with 18 ppl and only one or two fellow femmes. :D :D :D

CreativeFire

ferrous said:
I have a question for you all. I've not been involved with tarot long enough to get a good idea of who or what types of people are interested in it & drawn to it, so I want to ask you all what you think.

Is tarot a woman's domain? Are there just as many men interested in it or only a few compared to the number of women? I went to the Time Out for Tarot meeting today (which was wonderful. Thank you CreativeFire for organising it!) & there was only one man amongst ten or so women.

Had to post to let you know that the male ratio is increasing in our little corner of the globe!

At our get together last Saturday there were TWO men in the group of 17. So instead of 10:1 now 8.5:1 :D

I sometimes think that it may be 'easier' in a way for women to get involved in tarot, in that it may come up as a general topic in female conversations more than perhaps with guys (unless they know someone who is involved in it). Probably not something the guys stand around the BBQ, with beers in hand, talking about with each other (not that I have seen here in Queensland anyway! LOL). Maybe if they came out with a Rugby Tarot or Tri-Nations Tarot it would get the ball rolling. })

CreativeFire

kryztyna

Hi CreativeFire,
Having a giggle at your reference to a tri-nations deck. I was doing a reading while the final was being played and recieved a mouthful from the men in the house to come and watch the game and LEAVE THE FLIPPIN' CARDS ALONE. The men watched the game and we had a great time with our various decks...
and Im in search of the Osho Zen, SongDeva if you have an extra :)

blessings
Christine

anubis

i m a man... sobs, i dun want to be a transexual... just kidding
how can u gals have all the fun with tarot and leave the men out?

isthmus nekoi

I have a more negative opinion.... I think the reason why there are more women in the tarot world is b/c tarot is a marginalized study. It's not taken seriously - it's party tricks and all girls sleepover material to most ppl. It's OK for women to take an interest in such frivilous things.

In Western culture at least, women have always been categorized as less rational and less conscious. More in touch w/nature, animals, children (who either lack consciousness or are less developed in that aspect). The objectivity of science is too complicated for women; leave them to their tarot, their astrology columns, their hoaxes and superstitions...

Let the children play with their cards....

What makes a human an animal? The breasts (mammalia) even though only 1/2 the population could potentially have lactating breasts. Ah, but what separates such from the dumb beasts? Logic (Homo sapiens) of which, women are deficient.

btw, ferrous, you asked: who the heck came up w/these lousy biases? That is a HUGE question, but if you want to put the time into tapping into the answer, I would suggest looking into poststructuralist theory and identity politics which examine the construction of these beliefs. If you want any specific names or a specific area you're curious about, just PM :)

TheLovers2

Re: I can imagine the discussions..

Eco74 said:
"Hey, want another beer?"

"Sure, lets have another couple of those Emperor ales. They sure make you feel good, don't they?"

"Yup, like your on top of the world.. See that World-card over there? I'd sure like to be on top of her..."

"Duuuude, that's just Fools-talk. Like that would ever happen.." [/B]

Eco74:

Waaayyy Funny! So apropos. Enjoyed it. :D :D

TL2

SongDeva

kryztyna said:

and Im in search of the Osho Zen, SongDeva if you have an extra :)

Alright, who's been spreading the rumor that I have extra decks?!
Lies, LIES, Lies. :)

And Umbrae, re: Tarot of Baseball: the Baseball does NOT make it a man's deck, or my name isn't Jonny Damon. hmmm....well, I may not be the big JD, but baseball is still for girls. Just like tarot.

heheheehehehehehe

kryztyna

AWWWWWWWWWWW SongDeva:)
and that should teach me to listen to gossip!
Still would like it though *wink*

purple_scorp

Make sure you drop by the OZ Daily Reading thread in Your Reading section when you get it. :)

purple_scorp