Making Bags and Boxes

Lillie

I sew bags.

I am in a bag making frenzy at the momment.
I do them in all sorts of ways. Lined, beads, ribbon, all sorts.
At the momment I am using up stuff in my fabric bags.

I also crochet them.

I do fillet lace crochet.

And I do it in the round so there are no seams needed.

Row of chain. multiple of 3 + 1
Double into each chain,then make squares of 1 treble (into the doubles) 2 chain.
When you get to the end double back on yourself into the same holes. Then just make every row a circle.
Then, for the draw string I close up the trebles.
Then I do frilly bits down the sides and along the bottom and around the top.

PS.
I think in american terminology the stitches might be called singles and doubles, but I use the british names. (I'm not sure about this)

Elizabeth Genco

Thanks for the patterns, everybody. I can't wait to give 'em a try.

(I have plenty of decks that need bags!)

seneris

I made a tarot box this weekend, from the site bassetized linked to.
For a first try I think it went rather well. Unfortunately the size was in inches (I'm used to centimetres) so there were some tiny differences in size. (My box doesn't close that well now so I have to use an elastic band to keep it from unwanted opening)
I had bought a piece of carton/ cardboard which had a good thickness, but bending seemed a bit difficult. After all the cutting I glued a black and white copy of my High Priestess card on the front, to finish it. It looks good :)

I like the final result (well, apart from that elastic band), but I think I'm going to try to make another one, in centimetres, just to see if I could do better.

I tried to take a picture of it but I couldn't get the image focused.

I usually make bags for my tarots. I got a sowing machine for my birthday (in December....) but I don't know how to use it so I sow my bags by hand. But the mother of my boyfriend is willing to tell me how such a machine works so maybe in the near futre I could try sowing one on the machine. Wonder how that will turn out... :)

Lillie

That box sounds really great. The idea of putting a copy of a card on it is a really nice idea!

You could try scoring along the fold lines with aknife or the edge of the scissors before bending. Then you should get a nice, sharp fold.

But perhaps you should practice on an off cut first, so you find out how deep (or shallow) you need to go to get the best results.

Sewing machines are quite easy when you get the hang of them. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can make things.
I bet you have a wonderful time with it!

graylensman

Can anyone send me bag patterns, please? i have some skills with a sewing machine, but I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel by figuring it all out from scratch! :p

ravynrain

oh yes me too i love to sew and im looking for a great pattern for my deck.

Moontears

hello

my friend (rainwolf) inspired me to make bags for my decks...he gave me one for my quick and easy deck....but my one problem is that i can't sew!!! i'm a female that cannot sew...its so sad... i have great ideas too, just no talent...

Lillie

It's a bit difficult to discribe a sewing pattern in words.

Basically I just do rectangles. 2 for the outside, 2 for the lining. Or one big one for each, using a fold as a seam!
The outside ones are bigger cos they have a hem near the top for a cord.

The best thing is decorating them. I do this before they are sewn up.

I can give a basic pattern, but I'll need to do a couple of quick sketches.
So, if anyone wants a VERY basic pattern, I guess I could email to you, and send the sketches like that.

Lillie

Yeah,

I've done sketches for a very basic bag.
If anyone want's them, just say.

Like I say, it's very simple, but once someone has got the hang of it they would probably find it very easy to develop it into something a bit more complex.

The problem is that I never really use proper patters, I just make it up as I go along, and cut any shapes I need out of newspater, or draw then direct onto the cloth.
Which makes it hard for me to turn the more complex things into a pattern for someone else to follow.

Anyhow. If anyones interested, just say.

rainwolf

If you guys are interested, maybe i can post directions and pictures of how i make my bags-tell me if you are interested. I've already made a few up to a certain point, so if i get more material in a week or two, i can go through it from the start :) pics and all