"Who's Who" for Aeclectic personae

tao51

I hope this thread becomes a sticky. When I posted my thread about being impressed with the many artists/authors in the community, I had no idea how many there were. I am so surprised as is others reading this thread. Thank all for posting--this is like a party that only ends with the last post. Keep the party going!--Tao

firemaiden

Wow, I knew we had a lot of great deck creators and writers among us, but I didn't know we had Mary Greer in person! This is exciting! Welcome Mary!

Lynda

Aeclectic personae

Hi there
I guess as this thread is called 'Aeclected Personae' that I can put in my two cents worth here (besides, a friend said I 'must'!)

I'm a professional astrologer and have written an oracle book - that comes with 42 cards - that's been published by Penguin NY (Plume) and is being published by Sony Japan later this year. It's based on the degrees of the zodiac... the Sabian Symbols. Not quite tarot, but an Oracle nonetheless. This Oracle resonates with the planets movements around the zodiac and you can look up your planets. The Symbols not only describe how you live your life, they give you advice how to get the best of it.

It's called 360 Degrees of Wisdom: Charting Your Destiny With the Sabian Oracle - a title that came to me one night without consciously realising the title of Mary Greer's wonderful tarot book :)

I've toured a lot in the United States, having completed 20 lecture tours and have done 3 world tours. One could say that I'm fully committed! (Or should be 'committed' - not sure ;0 )

I live in Sydney, Australia and have a website http://www.sabiansymbols.com

I do enjoy this forum!

Greetings from Sydney's Blue Mountains
Lynda Hill

Teheuti

Lynda said:
It's called 360 Degrees of Wisdom: Charting Your Destiny With the Sabian Oracle - a title that came to me one night without consciously realising the title of Mary Greer's wonderful tarot book :)
Lynda,
Actually, I think you meant Rachel Pollack's _78 Degrees of Wisdom_, but that's okay - we teach together a lot and I don't mind being mistaken for such a wonderful writer on tarot.

I'm curious though - how do you get 360 Sabian Symbols into a 42 card oracle?

Mary

mythos

Teheuti said:
Shirley - I'm so glad you liked it. I certainly understand the completion problems. That book took me six years of nearly full-time work. It was hard to let it go.

Mary

I felt an instantaneous connection with Florence Farr which lasted throughout the book and since. I dream of her. I was awash, also, with embarrassment. You see, of the Horos couple, the husband, whose real name is Frank Jackson, is (was) my black sheep great uncle (possibly great great uncle). I never met him of course, but my father talked of him often. He taught my dad to ride a horse when he came to Australia ,and my Grandfather's farm ,after his imprisonment. He actually seemed liked a nice bloke ... albeit embarrassed by his past.

My great aunts were Theosophists and suffragettes, and there were a couple of spiritualists as well. One aunt was jailed in London, too, when they were force-feeding women fighting for votes. We already had the vote here, so they went to London to continue the cause.

I wish that I had asked many more questions because my Dad had a brain haemorrhage late last year, and in spite of successful surgery ... there is much memory loss. We all have those regrets I suppose.

I can well understand why it was hard to let go of your book. I have a house full of paintings, stacked up against walls, because I can't let them go. It is like giving away part of one's soul. Writing is the same.

No doubt I'll see you at the conference. Pity that you will get to meet Melbourne in winter ... it is a gentle place, yet has a vibrant energy that makes it a delightful place in which to spend time.

shirley

ArcanoMáximo

wish to be there! You're real lucky ppl! :D

tmgrl2

Totally wonderful thread!!

I knew Mary Greer was here, but, Mary I didn't know your screen name...you and I exchanged e-mails re tarot certification.

So glad you have come out to post...

My top-of-the-list Tarot book to date...the one that helped me the most...

( I only began about a year and a half ago and have 50 plus books in my
Tarot library)

is

Tarot for YourSelf

I have most of the others and have read parts of them...in between reading Place's new book and other historical books...

But....I found your book

Very broad in its approach...with multiple layers of meanings for cards and card combinations...

The exercises were marvelous...interchanging cards within a spread to see hhow meanings change...

Lots of fun for me when I started to find my Soul Card, my personality card ...and the others as well...

Fine work!!

Wish I could meet you one day...I live in New York but can't get out of Long Island too easily....

Also, kudos! to all of our deck creators and authors who have signed in to this thread...thanks, John for starting it...This really is an Aeclectic community and a wonderful place to learn and share.

terri

Teheuti

mythos said:
I felt an instantaneous connection with Florence Farr which lasted throughout the book and since. I dream of her. I was awash, also, with embarrassment. You see, of the Horos couple, the husband, whose real name is Frank Jackson, is (was) my black sheep great uncle (possibly great great uncle).

I began the project because of my draw to Florence Farr and wanting to know more about Moina Mathers - but each of the women became the most important to me when I was working on them. I never felt any past life connections - although I wouldn't be at all surprised if I had lived in London in the late 19th century - my only "vision" was as the bored housewife of a Harley St. doctor - yuk!

It's amazing that you are related to Frank Horos/Jackson. I think it's exciting. I'd love to know what happened to Madame Horos. She was like a shadow-Blavatsky.

It's interesting how many of the GD people ended up in the colonies.

Mary

Teheuti

tmgrl2 said:
My top-of-the-list Tarot book to date...the one that helped me the most...is Tarot for YourSelf <snip> I live in New York but can't get out of Long Island too easily....
Blush.
Terri - I leave for NY tomorrow to teach a five day workshop at the Omega Institute on Tarot Play and then a weekend on Tarot and Kabbalah - both with Rachel Pollack. Too bad you can't join us. We always have a wonderful time and the Tarot Play workshop is especially fun.

Mary

tmgrl2

Thank you, Mary...one day I will be able to meet you and join one of your workshops.

Right now I am a full-time caretaker and don't have someone who can take over for a chunk of time.....I just retired, so that is a boon and I love my life.

If it's in the cards.....

Wish I could be a fly on the wall in Australia....I hope to hear all the news from my friends here at AT.

terri