A New Gay Themed Tarot.

Shade

A very beautiful deck, you are definately a master with color. Some of the cards look like they are taking place at the center of storms, there is a raw current of power through so many of them, especially the air suit. The uncluttered look really works well, a few striking visual keys set the scene of each card well.

I have one question, I bugged poor Lee about it so it's only fair. For a gay themed deck the gender expression seems to be very one note. I can definately see that you are going for "inner journey" and not cluttering the deck up with unecessary accoutrements (sp?) but at times it feels (to me) as though the main subject/model is a little too blank or subdued in the majors (certainly not in the suit of air).

The 78th Fool

Hi Shade,

I'm glad you like the images - colour is one of the most important things to me and I love to use colour as the primary tool for creating an atmosphere.

With regards to the Majors I can understand your reservations - to a great extent these Majors are a very subjective creation on my part. I know that many will struggle with the predominant use of one model through almost the whole cycle of 22. For me, the Majors represent unchanging and transcendent realities, hence my quite deliberate request for relatively serene expressions from the model concerned. Even in turbulent cards like the Chariot I hope to portray a serenity channeled through great power. By contrast, the Minors represent our earthly concerns to me, hence a much more earthy and realistic approach. Once again I can only hope that my intentions will become clearer as more cards are completed.

Chris. xx

WolfSpirit

Chris I think I really like the idea of having the same model on all cards.
It gives some kind harmony to the deck ~ so I think you made the right choice here as you want your deck to express serenity.

So far my favourite cards are Strength and the Star, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

The 78th Fool

Two more completed.
I decided that as this is a gay themed deck, Temperance should be flying the Rainbow Flag!

Chris. xx

Attachments

• Earth.Two-copy.jpg
    Earth.Two-copy.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Temperance.jpg
    Temperance.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 84

prudence

my 2 cents worth

Wow, if I were allowed to choose which image to put on your deck's cover, I would pick the Temperance card.

It really feels like it sums up your deck, in one image.

edited to say...

I just now saw your new avatar!! I guess we are both fond of this one,eh?! LOL

Elven

Wow Chris - another two beautiful and thoughtful cards!

Astrid O said:
Wow, if I were allowed to choose which image to put on your deck's cover, I would pick the Temperance card.

Second this - it would make a great deck covering card!!!

Will you be putting up a thread for pre-orders?!! :)
- Have you thought how you might make these available?

They're wonderful!

Many Blessings
Elven x

The 78th Fool

Astrid: Like you said - was thrilled with Temperance so I decided to use it as my Avater! I think it's a great idea of yours to use this on the title card, it really does sum up what I want the deck to say.

Elven: Hadn't really thought as far ahead as publication yet! Will post any plans to do so as soon as I have them.

In the meantime, I have had an undisturbed day and evening's worth of work and have managed to finalise both the Fool and the Devil. I've attached them below.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• Fool.jpg
    Fool.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Devil.jpg
    Devil.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75

Elven

Hi Chris,

The Fool is a great opening card for the deck. I have only assumed this, as it is not numbered (as is the case traditionally), but the impression is the rippling circles and the ovals - this gives me a '0' number. Or did I get this wrong? I really like the colours! Reminds me of the big-bang/chaos as well. I also see the ovals as beginings and expansion. There is alot of symbolism in this card. Lots! I think I need your interpretation of this card to help me take it in on deeper level. Some of the words I 'thought' when looking at the card was Creativity, expansion, apprehension, energy, abundance, reflection, chrysalis, ripple, jump, determination, focus, embryo, maturity, instinct, - the cat about to bite the ear (?) I look at it and feel many things are trying to be told - A really good card for reflection and meditation IMHO! ive been looking at it for 20 minutes now LOL I'll stop :)

The Devil is disturbingly good! :) I looked at the partitioned pictures seperately. I think if I was reading with this card I could be quite specific in being able to identifying the reason for its presence. Each of the frames have a definate feel of direction with them - psychological almost.

Thanks for the pics!!:) Its amazing what an undisturbed day can do! Hope you have plenty more of them in amongst the rush.

Look forward to the next :)

Blessings
Elven x

Lee

The 78th Fool said:
In the meantime, I have had an undisturbed day and evening's worth of work and have managed to finalise both the Fool and the Devil. I've attached them below.
Perfection! I love the designs on the Fool's face, and the kaleidoscope effect on the Devil card.

-- Lee

The 78th Fool

Lee said:
Perfection! I love the designs on the Fool's face, and the kaleidoscope effect on the Devil card.

-- Lee

Awwwww!!!! Thanks Lee. xx!!

Elven: Glad you like them too!! You've no idea what a boost it is when you get feedback like this - It makes it so much easier to go on and do the next ones because you know that someone appreciates what you're doing. All the words you were thinking with regards to the Fool are spot on - some of them made me look at my own image with fresh eyes. Here's my take to add to them:

The fool - his face painted in the manner of a clown, displaying both gaety and sadness. The heart on his cheek represents love, flirtatiousness and possible vanity.

Flamingoes: To me they represented vulnerability with their heads buried under the water. They have to feed but they cannot see what goes on above as they do so. They also just 'looked' silly which was what I wanted.

Butterfly: It represents the carefree nature of the fool. the spirals and circles represent it's unpredictable flight - These were again inspired by the shapes and symmetry on the Thoth card.

The Cat: The Fool himself is also in danger as he gazes at all around him. Hence he fails to notice the cat that creeps up behind him.

Glad you like the Devil too - Each compartment is meant to be a specific prison.Clockwise from the top:

1. Pain (Mental or Physical)
2. Unhealthy curiosity - wanting to see where we should not
3. Grief gone stale - clinging to loss as a means of security.
4. Fear
5. lust and sensuality

Hope this all makes sense!
will post some new cards in a day or so. I'm also working on getting a web page up where all completed cards can be viewed.

Chris. xx

PS. Got my Tarot of Dreams today - It almost made me want to stop!!!! It's so good you're left feeling that no one else can say anything better!