A store with no tarot..

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
Tarot decks are very small items; easier to pocket.
Theft must be a big enough issue...
If I was a theif and wanted to make it really big,
first I would steal the copyright to a great deck
and then I would charge $8 $12 $16 $18 $20 :)

Centaur

Quite odd that they didn't have any tarot decks. Most of the stores I have visited have had at least one or two. :)

Did they have any stones at all?

Rusty Neon

Dark Inquisitor said:
Does this happen elsewhere too ? New Age stores with no tarot ? And why , do you think ?

That really is quite odd. With one exception, every metaphysical store I've seen carries at least some tarot decks. The one I did see seemed more interested in books and stones, etc. and didn't really seem interested in business either - because it wasn't open on weekends or weeknights. It closed after six months.

DI, perhaps the owner of the new store in your town is stocking the store commensurate with his or her own metaphysical interests and isn't really interested in tarot decks (or maybe the owner is concerned about backlash from conservatives in the town?). I can't see having one or two different tarot decks in the store as a major inventory investment. In fact, that's what some really small metaphysical decks do - one or two tarot decks.

MeeWah

Rusty Neon said:
Tarot decks are very small items; easier to pocket. Theft must be a big enough issue as it has resulted in one company, U.S. Games, I believe, offering larger package versions of originary size deck-and-LWB tarot decks, that make it more difficult for would-be shoplifters to pocket the deck.

Rusty Neon: That is very enlightening & thanks for the information.

I wondered why the sets packaged in such cumbersome sizes (& leads to storage issues), & that makes perfect sense!

ravenest

No Tarot magic shop.

I have noticed things like this. All sorts of psuedo decks, but not an actuall Tarot deck - as such. All sorts of books on various subjects but not the source books of those subjects. It is as if a lot of 'new age' shops (buisness/ profit oriented) are focusing on the quick fix methods. These type of shops may have various copies of ... say; 'Bill the Guru's Book of Rumi Poetry" but no actual books by Rumi. People will snap up books on candle magic, colour therapy, incenses, magic gems, etc. but the shop will not carry Crowley's 777.

We had a book stall at the markets for years, sale of 'source books' was thin and meagre, the occasional stocking of the other types nearly all sold out immediatly. At the same market, the well known and experienced tarot readers were out of buisness if some one new with flashy clothes and a magic hat set up shop for the day.

Michael

We have no metaphysical stores here either (Newcastle upon Tyne). A few "goth" type shops that sell crystals and maybe 1 or 2 tarot decks. I sorely miss Manchester for this reason alone. :(

Moonbow

I have a wonderful metaphysical shop near me, just 10 minutes drive. I live in a village and the shop is in a small town with a population of just 13000 - and one metaphysical shop! :) He has suffered abuse in the past, and still keeps going. Some of his decks have been there for years and sometimes I have picked up a bargain. (Greenwood, Alchemical). He's a little pricier than say Amazon but I buy from him from time to time to 'do my bit'.

I'm lucky, even my nearest city (Southampton) doesn't have a shop like this.

Michael

These last few weeks, I've had a strong urge to relocate to Glastonbury. I've never been before but I so want to live there. lol Plenty of metaphysical shops there no doubt. :)

Moongold

Dark Inquisitor ~

Such a small shop may end up disappointing you because it would not have the range of decks you might want with your experience :).

There are two really good shops in Melbourne - the TS Bookshop and the Haunted Bookshop. Both reflect the interests and awareness of the buyers/owners. The Haunted Bookshop has decks that you rarely can get on the shelves of the TS. In fact I'm increasing disappointed by the TS. I asked them to order a Marseille Grimaud and they actually got a Convos and labelled it a Grimaud. They have a display book of cards but it is so out of date!

Someone in the Haunted has a contemporary interest and awareness and obviously thinks about how to make his niche collection more special :D.

So it does seem very much to depend on idiosyncratic interests and talents.

Perhaps you could start a Tarot study group in your town and create a market :D :D?

floracove

Having worked in stores for years, it may be a good idea to request some tarot decks. Most places will order for you, items they do not have in stock. Talk with someone in charge, like a manager.