A store with no tarot..

Tarotphelia

Moongold said:
Dark Inquisitor ~

Such a small shop may end up disappointing you because it would not have the range of decks you might want with your experience :)

Hi Moongold -

Are you alluding to my sizeable tarot cache ? If so, you are correct-lol . But new decks come out and one might like to see them , or buy others on impulse or as gifts , see older decks one might have missed , or just have chance encounters with other tarotists as one mutually admires. Scan through new tarot books with an eye to purchase for new insights , etc.

Any store owner has the right of course to consider their own preferences and stock their store accordingly . But go with my paranoia for a moment . (My paranoia often turns out to be more truth than fiction in unexpected ways . ) I had the uncomfortable impression that I was visiting the Home and Garden Television version of what a New Age store is supposed to look like. After all the "inappropriate" stuff had been cleaned up , sanitized, and organized . Into something the Better Than You crowd would approve of.

I began to wonder if this is the trend of the future . And if certain segments of the New Age community separate themselves from tarot , look down it ,and would rather it would just dry up and blow away . Not that they would ever be judgemental, of course . (gasp) Not that it would ever be said outright . (um , nooo.. )

Right here in this very tarot forum there are times when divisions break out amongst the fortune telling /non fortune telling segments , with some effort to separate tarot from its possibly embarrassing (to some) roots . We are doing it to ourselves - why should others not do it too ? Maybe now that there are so many lovely oracle decks to easily answer all your questions, who needs moldy old uncomfortable tarot anymore ?

Is tarot the batty old aunt in the attic ? Has no one told us ?

gregory

Dark Inquisitor said:
I am the batty old aunt in the attic, and I am telling you now !

(is this metadiscussion ? If so I apologise.)

I think stores stock what they think they can sell - simple as that (well, except in cases where they are being picketed not to sell something and fear for their profits !) If Oracles are in this month, that is what they will have. But even a small shop with an interest in anything like this can often be persuaded..... (I don't know WHY the Ottakars in Carlisle has suddenly got such a huge display of tarot decks - something must have inspired them - and it actually wasn't me !)

catlin

Dark Inquisitor said:

I don't think that tarot will become a batty old aunt.

New Age/Occultism/Esoteric (call it as you please) (unfortunately) follows trends and so at one time angels or fairies are "en vogue" and at another time other things are more searched.

I bet New Age stores will burst with tarot decks after the start of Dan Brown's movie and the Da Vinci tarot shown in it. :D

gregory

catlin said:
I bet New Age stores will burst with tarot decks after the start of Dan Brown's movie and the Da Vinci tarot shown in it. :D
Is it shown in it ??? Which deck ??

catlin

Of course the LS Da Vinci!! Don't you have the current LS catalogue with the mentioning in it???

gregory

I have the LS Arte 22 deck, the LS 78 and the Enigma..... Which catalogue do we mean ??? :D I only look at the upcoming one :D

HudsonGray

They only mentioned tarot in the DaVinci Code (the lady played the tarock game in the past with her grandfather & he alluded to what the cards actually may have meant), I wonder if the movie will actually show a deck. If it does, that'll really help get folks interested.