Controversial Views

Jewel

baba-prague said:
1. I don't respect criticism that isn't really criticism at all but seems designed simply to start some kind of baiting game. Genuine negative criticism is fine. I may not like to hear it, but it doesn't usually either upset or anger me, although I may well disagree with it. What does annoy me is having people attempt to pull me into some sort of fight that I have neither time, energy nor inclination for. I don't like histrionics and drama of that type.

2. I object very strongly to being told that I am not entitled to say anything in response to rude (there is no other way to describe them) remarks about my work, my motivation and my activity on the boards here. This is absurd and lacks any respect towards me, Alex, Ciro, or the other people such remarks are aimed at. People who do this obviously have some sort of issue that I don't understand. However, this does not mean that I feel any obligation to feel sorry for them or play along with their behaviour.
These are two very very valid points and do not apply solely to deck artists, creators, designers, publishers alone but also to the general membersip of AT. It saddens me to see some of the rude posts. I do not expect nor want a "rose garden" of a forum, but one can disagree in a non-personal manner, and/or in a respectful manner. Some of the lashing that goes on around here (as in any forum) ends up discouraging the expression of honest opinions (both good and bad) or in the case of deck designers, publishers, creators etc., from being even wanting to help us see where they are coming from so we can better understand what we are critiquing. The end result is that we see much less participation from some really tarot savy people from whom we can all learn so much. I come here to learn, so it really really upsets me as I see them vanish from the boards.

As for reviews, I am currently working with a deck that I promise will not yield a glowing review (based on having already spent way too much time with its Major Arcana), but I will wait until after I have completed working with it for 78 weeks before I write that review (part of my 78 Weeks Study Group work), and after spending that amount of time with the deck I will feel quite qualified to write the review on it*LOL*. I could not in good conscience spend two days with a deck and write a review of any kind on it, all two days can do for me is let me ascertain whether I will like it or not, but it can hardly be considered enough time to offer a fair review. Again that is for me personally. And I doubt I will ever get free decks to review *LOL*.

AJ

I like differences of opinion, it always brings something new to the table to think on.

my 2 cent controversial view would be that beating a horse that has been dead for 3 months and cannot reply goes beyond the scope of this thread and becomes persecution at its worst and some form of paranoia at its mildest. Time to move on from old threads, it accomplishes nothing of value to keep harping on it.

Another 2 cents, Without moderators this forum would be nothing but a shadow of other failed forums. No I don't appreciate it when I'm modded, but I accept that our mods do a great job while receiving nothing in return. I wouldn't be here if it were run by a tin dictator who couldn't find his/her own hind-end with his/her hands tied behind their back. So thank you to the mods who are volunteers and real people like thee and me, please don't mod this post, it would make me furious :)

LillyCat

Little Baron said:
I have passed a lot of opinions of late.

Maybe too many. Maybe not enough.

I am starting to wonder if I should just keep out of threads where I might go against the grain, nod politely everywhere else I go, say everything is wonderful and just do my daily draws.

;)

If everyone did this, what a boring world it would be. Also, nearly all official academic, medical, scientific, educational, social, political etc research would be non-existent. If people didn't have different ideas, we wouldn't have worked out that the world was round not flat, we wouldn't know a fraction of the things we do know. Society would not have been able to progress.

An opinion that goes against the grain is not necessarily wrong (it should however, obviously not express racist views or incite hatred against certain religions, ethnic origins, socio-economic classes etc). It all goes wrong when people try to exert their views over others or try to make a certain view appear 'right' against others. Posting comments that are designed to provoke an argument or negative reaction, those that are insulting, abusive and not constructive are entirely inappropriate - this is presumably why we have moderators - so they can remove unhelpful, hurtful comments.

Also, consider the kinds of things we talk about on this board - spirituality, beliefs, rituals, tarot decks/art, they are all deeply personal things, every single person on this board will have an entirely unique view of them. Sometimes you find others who are like-minded and then still others who have an entirely different view. I personally, did not like the Gilded Tarot but I also recognise that there are hundreds that do. I recognise the artistic ability of the designer Ciro and I am able to appreciate the time, effort and soul that went into designing and producing them - if I was asked to create a tarot deck would I be able? Hell No!! I rely on people like Baba-Prague and Ciro to make these for me or I wouldn't be able to read. I am sure Van Gogh, Picasso and Matisse don't appeal to everyone.

I think what happens here, is that because the things we talk about are so personal and we are so attached to them, there's more potential to feel slighted or hurt when someone else expresses a view that perhaps doesn't complement your own. For example, I am sure many people reading this post (or not!) would feel a slight stab of resentment at the fact that I don't like the Gilded when it is one of their dearest decks. I am sure also I would have that same fleeting moment when they tell me that they would rather stick pins in their eyes than read with the Original Rider Waite. But in the end I wouldn't expect everyone on here to agree with me.

I see nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. I am sure there are others that read your posts and privately agree but might be a little too nervous to state it themselves. As long as it is not nasty, I don't see the problem. I do believe, though, if you are going to go against the grain, it's always good to explain why - then at least people have a reason and they don't think you're just doing it for the sake of it.

Conformity is banal. All of us are unique, let's keep it that way!

edited by Lillycat@ 21.36pm Fri 5 October

fferyllt

LillyCat said:
I see nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. I am sure there are others that read your posts and privately agree but might be a little too nervous to state it themselves. As long as it is not nasty, I don't see the problem. I do believe, though, if you are going to go against the grain, it's always good to explain why - then at least people have a reason and they don't think you're just doing it for the sake of it.

Conformity is banal. All of us are unique, let's keep it that way!

I am very much in agreement with your view, LillyCat. And really, I would like everyone to explain their point of view, against the grain or not. That's a richer discussion, shows more of each person's uniqueness.