My take on spreads (spontaneous/intuitive)

Sophie

Thanks for explaining your approach in more depth, Buddhagoddess! This is an interesting discussion you've started :)

I don't know how much of a beginner you are, but it is possible that the trouble you find in the flow of long spreads (such as the CC) is due simply to lack of experience. It took me ages to get to read a long spread so it really flowed. Personally, I found that learning with the smaller spreads - such as those you mentioned (3 or 4 cards) is actually the best way to learn to read tarot, because it is very flexible - it allows for any kind of question and card position (the 3 carder is especially flexible in that way), and it allows you to learn how cards interact with each other. It's adaptable enough for any kind of tarot approach and learning.

I do think the way the cards fall in relation to each other does matter, however - because they interact differently: the Emperor turning his back to Death will tell you something different than if you drew him facing Death (and that is irrespective of whether you read traditionally or not). So unless I am doing something creative with the cards - a meditation, or a story, or a spell - I tend to leave them where they fall, even when I don't assign set positions to them.

franniee

Hi Buddhagoddess -

I never used set spreads either until I came here. I wouldn't move the cards but hey that is me! :D What you do is you!

When I joined the reading circles - I had a devil of a time forcing a meaning to a position! But I kept doing it because it was something new and a challenge to me! (I like a good challenge).

buddhagoddess said:
As for spreads, I would also like to say that I do use a couple of very simple spreads. Mind/body/Spirit, Past/Present/Future, an elemental spread - earth/air/fire/water/spirit. I did work with the CC for a while, but response to my readings was basically that the messages I was giving were very "choppy" - it was hard to create a single cohesive message using that many cards in that configuration.

I find them choppy too! So I read them with their meanings in their positions etc and then I go and do my own thing! and I go into my zig zagging and up and down etc.... and read them my old way. :)

Each of us walks a different path. Whatever works for you - is my belief! :love:

frelkins

Fudugazi said:
Because tarot has a certain tradition and inner structure, and most of the classic decks from Waite onwards were made with strict occult and symbolical meanings in mind, and designed to be explored on the Tree of Life, or in specific layouts.

I respect the fact you feel that way. Good luck to you. We will kindly agree to disagree in a friendly manner. We're all pals on AT.

Because to my mind, who died and appointed that crazy Waite and his wacky pseudo-Masonic 19th cent. misunderstanding of Egyptian & Jewish stuffs The Ultimate Authority Forever and Ever Amen? :) Why must I codify his errors? Frankly, we are more likely to be the experts today, because we have better and more accurate historical, psychological, and archaeological information than he did.

But then I suppose this is why I love Ric's LS decks. This conversation has completely convinced me that the next deck I get has to be his i Tarocchi del Buongustaio. :)

Sophie

frelkins said:
Because to my mind, who died and appointed that crazy Waite and his wacky pseudo-Masonic 19th cent. misunderstanding of Egyptian & Jewish stuffs The Ultimate Authority Forever and Ever Amen? :) Why must I codify his errors? Frankly, we are more likely to be the experts today, because we have better and more accurate historical, psychological, and archaeological information than he did.
Well of his own deck and clones, I assume we can leave him the paternity and authority ;) (I never thought I'd find myself defending Waite, whom I regard in many ways as a tiresome old fart. But I try and give him his due!)

But then I suppose this is why I love Ric's LS decks. This conversation has completely convinced me that the next deck I get has to be his i Tarocchi del Buongustaio. :)
I dote on some of their decks too. They are wonderful :). But I wouldn't attempt to read a Visconti without some knowledge of the Italian Renaissance, Christian neoplatonism and how the symbols shown were interpreted back then.

frelkins

Fudugazi said:
But I wouldn't attempt to read a Visconti without some knowledge of the Italian Renaissance, Christian neoplatonism and how the symbols shown were interpreted back then.

Why? I mean this most seriously.

The Visconti deck was probably a wedding gift for rich people (which set of rich people may be in dispute), as Dummet tells us.

The only symbolism the Italian nobles likely thought about when it came to "understanding" them was how to bet on each trick! :) You can go to Sorrento today and walk by the workingmen's social club to watch them play tarocchi/scopa/briscola in the evenings and bet on the cards just as the Visconti probably did! The retired teamsters there for sure know nothing of Christian Neo-platonism! ;)

Some of the pretty pictures were painted with details to flatter the family and others are standard pious gestures as common as greeting cards in their time. I'm trying to imagine a future in which people look at Hallmark or other greeting cards for "esoteric meanings"! :)

In short, we give the cards meanings and structure every time we look at them. They themselves are just otherwise ink on paper, yes? :)

Sophie

Because I read cards, symbols and allegories, and I don't play tarocchi. If I did, not doubt it would not matter so much.

I have the greatest respect for Prof. Dummett's knowledge of playing cards - but I think his scepticism has got in the way of some healthy investigation of why the tarot trumps are as they are, and what these allegories meant to the people for whom the Visconti was made.

Scion

Ah, this same Cartesian division pops up in a new form. :) The study vs. intuition debate, my favorite.

frelkins said:
The Visconti deck was probably a wedding gift for rich people (which set of rich people may be in dispute), as Dummet tells us.

The only symbolism the Italian nobles likely thought about when it came to "understanding" them was how to bet on each trick!
Whoa nellie... Actually the idea of decorative art doesn't arise until the invention of the bourgeoisie. ALL art before the enlightenment (and much after) was not only expected to have meaning, the meaning was arguably more essential than the aesthetic value. Knowing that how could you expect to "read" an image that was created with a symbolic intent, however flattering or prosaic, and not take into consideration the worldview from which it sprang. In an era before literacy was common, images were what most people "read," witness catechisms in stained glass and allegorical reliefs. People looked at images for meaning, not prettiness. The cleverness of a beautiful object was what created the value.

Just look at the spontaneous, extempore poetry games played with cards in the Italian Renaissance, where players were expected not only to recognize symbolic tropes but be able to compose poems on the spot incorporating as much of the meaningful content as possible. As Fudugazi says, reading without making yourself aware of content isn't impossible, but it does limit the range of impressions that can be gleaned from the image. If education weren't essential, we would never move beyond the breast and the bottle and nappies. The simple fact is, our slackjawed culture has a kneejerk revulsion for the rigors of scholarship and has elevated the breast and the bottle to semi-divine status. Not to get all stroppy, but small wonder that we live in such a stupefying, stultefying cultural soup when we expect all other ages in history to live down to our televisual expectations... as if we are more advanced because we grew up defrosting meals and watching Gilligan's Island.
rebecca-smiles said:
perhaps for the book learned here all those meanings and layers and symbols compete with each other if contexts are not clearly defined?
I'll have to join others in saying no. Neither is it the case that when I am having a conversation, my knowledge and verbal experience render me mute. All the various forms and memories and awarenesses of a word actually ADD to my facility with the word, and with language in general. I have yet to have anyone actually explain why studying is somehow separate from intuition. And surprisingly, I've never heard people who champion studying saying intuition isn't essential. But there are (literally) hundreds of threads on AT where people seek validation for the decision to just "wing it." That is of course a valid option, but why does it need validation if it works? And in what way is anyone able to rid themselves of EVERYTHING they've ever learned and approach the cards intuitively as a literal tabula rasa? Study and intuition are inextricably bound up in each other, just as much as the past and the future.

I don't kowtow to the Golden Dawn worldview and I know how much their theories have been superceded and supplanted; I know these things because I studied them. And because I studied them, I also know the things that have not been supplanted, that work in practice, that carry real heft in expression. Just because Einstein kicked Newton in the teeth doesn't mean no one should study Newton, and just because Schrödinger kicked Einstein in the teeth, ditto. Gnosis is limitless and completely personal. I would hope that all the nonsheep of the world want to "Gnow" for themselves. But perhaps that just makes me a different kind of sheep. }) Baaa!
frelkins said:
I'm trying to imagine a future in which people look at Hallmark or other greeting cards for "esoteric meanings"! :)

In short, we give the cards meanings and structure every time we look at them. They themselves are just otherwise ink on paper, yes?
This strikes at something important, Frelkins. I do think we cannot escape our own preconceptions. But I think WE MUST TRY, or else we are not seeing, we are only looking. I think that the images aren't ink on paper, I think they are a matrix of ideas that are captured as ink on paper. Much like Shakespeare's body of work is not a book, but rather a matrix of 3 dimensional theatrical experiences captured as words that can be fixed to paper by means of type and print. The plays take on new meaning every time they are read or staged, but they are still Shakespeare (in varying degrees :thumbsup:).

David Macaulay wrote a delightful book called Motel of the Mysteries in which an archaeologist in the 41st century goes to elaborate lengths to explain the religious significance of a dig at a 20th century temple... the irony being that the 20th century reader knows that he's unearthed a cheap motel. He sets about interpreting the detritus with comic leaps of logic until the toilet seat and do-not-disturb sign become objects of cosmic meaning. He's not an idiot, he just doesn't have the information at his disposal. For him, study and intuition cannot work in tandem. We know his logic to be completely mistaken, but he's done his research and his intuition is sound, because although he gets the facts completely wrong, his hunches actually reveal an enormous amount about his own time and preoccupations... which are almost identical to our own, natch.

There are as many styles of readers as there are readers, and I would never say anyone HAS to go learn something, because frankly either you're a reader or you aren't and that's between you and your clients. Nuff said. A proud confession: I believe my knowledge of philosophy and religion and history and art and literature actually make me a better reader. I believe that the ability to communicate thoughts between separate minds is the most magical thing in the world. I believe in human civilization, which (along with reading and conversation and personal style) is increasingly unfashionable; I do get a little depressed when people start to announce in groups that "chucking it all" is the way to go and all that "old history and theory and stuff" is pointless. If it is, then so is civilization, and we should all go back to squatting in mud and banging rocks together.

For what it's worth, I haven't been using a lot of "traditional" spreads of late, cause I don't find I need them. But I'm not sure exactly what a "traditional" spread is, unless you mean the Celtic Cross which is only 100 years old and popularized in Waite's Pictorial Key. Every tradition starts as a study of the past that reinvents a subject for an imagined future. The pop psych sermonizing of the 70s threads through a LOT of current Tarot authorship for good or ill. And there are new trends too in younger authors. None of them are gospel, many are worth at least glancing over.

Buddhagoddess, I think spreads are a contextual tool that you will modify as you gain in expertise and daring. Rock out! :D And don't let anyone tell you different, not even me.

Scion

dadsnook2000

For Scion

Beautifully expressed. Thanks for taking the time to address this issue in the manner you did. Dave

rebecca-smiles

Scion said:
I'll have to join others in saying no. Neither is it the case that when I am having a conversation, my knowledge and verbal experience render me mute. All the various forms and memories and awarenesses of a word actually ADD to my facility with the word, and with language in general. I have yet to have anyone actually explain why studying is somehow separate from intuition. And surprisingly, I've never heard people who champion studying saying intuition isn't essential. But there are (literally) hundreds of threads on AT where people seek validation for the decision to just "wing it." That is of course a valid option, but why does it need validation if it works? And in what way is anyone able to rid themselves of EVERYTHING they've ever learned and approach the cards intuitively as a literal tabula rasa? Study and intuition are inextricably bound up in each other, just as much as the past and the future.

OK i get it; it was a very badly phrased question in response to a bewildering post that insisted that we had to read history and use spreads and not mix intuition (re: dadsnook2000).

However i must defend myself here: All i said was; i don't use spreads that much. I NEVER advocated not learning about the cards, their history, their culture their symbolism. All i said was: i don't used spreads that much.

I NEVER said anything about intuition in that post, and on threads in the past that advocate intuition v's studdy have i ever advocated just 'winging it' nor championed intution over study, nor avioded study- in fact, for someone who has only been reading tarot for 7 months, how can i be expected not to use my intuition? i have little else to go on because i was not planning to learn tarot, so i didn't learn all the history before hand. I think i'm not doing all that bady in my bookish study of tarot, history, symbolism (you re-enforced my suggestion of Tarot, hisroty, symbolsim and divination on another thread last week). I'm not sure how my question got mistaken for posing study against intuition, or sought to validate anything.

i wasn't study v's intuition, i was asking why dadsnook2000 said she really shouldn't do readings thus:
dadsnook2000 said:
"don't use or blend intuition and conventional tarot card and spread meanings, I would suggest to all that one cheats oneself if the whole of what constitutes Tarot is ignored or put aside.

since he had just advocated much learning, i was asking why you should not then read without a spread. How would it then be cheating one's self? how does not using a spread ignore or put asside what constitutes tarot (history etc). I don't recall buddhagoddess saying she didn't use trad meanings, or history, or symbolism, just that she didn't use spreads. Hence my question

rebecca-smiles said:
perhaps for the book learned here all those meanings and layers and symbols compete with each other if contexts are not clearly defined?

I asked this because the only thing that was at question was the use of spreads; it seemed to be implied that if you have a wealthy understanding of tarot background then you shouldn't not use spreads. That you could only not use spreads if you were using only intution.

dadsnook2000 said:
"don't use or blend intuition and conventional tarot card and spread meanings, I would suggest to all that one cheats oneself if the whole of what constitutes Tarot is ignored or put aside.

I'm really sorry if i missunderstood this, but i as someone who has only taken up tarot very recently, i don't have this wealth of knowledge to go on (i'm working on it) so hence the question. It wasn't meant as an attack on a learned sytle of reading, it wasn't meant as anything except a polite question. A dumb question maybe.

Scion said:
A proud confession: I believe my knowledge of philosophy and religion and history and art and literature actually make me a better reader. I believe that the ability to communicate thoughts between separate minds is the most magical thing in the world. I believe in human civilization, which (along with reading and conversation and personal style) is increasingly unfashionable; I do get a little depressed when people start to announce in groups that "chucking it all" is the way to go and all that "old history and theory and stuff" is pointless. If it is, then so is civilization, and we should all go back to squatting in mud and banging rocks together.

Again, i never suggested ''chucking it all' by saying i didn't use spreads much, or by refering to the 'book learned' since the only reason i am not book learned myself is because i haven't read many books relating to tarot, history or symbolism ever, let alone in the few months i have bee taroting. I wasn't in any group making an announcement. i never said history and theory was pointless. i still maintain that i only said i didn't use spreads, and actually i use as much of what little i have achieved in terms of history, symbolism, and culture etc to read as i can. when i have read and learned a great deal, maybe i too will know that it still works to not use a spread. or that it is not ok to mix intution and use a spread and not know anything, or whatever dadsnook2000 meant that i missed. Please don't mistake my non-inclusion of much history etc as not caring for it, of in anyway dumbing down or advocating not learning- i'll get round to including all that stuff. Until then, either i read using mostly intuition without much tarot background, or i put off reading until i know everything :( i don't want to have to wait forever, i'm a slow reader!

sleepingcat

The world of tarot, for me, ties in very close with enginnering (somthing else I'm learning to do) in the way that there are accepted standards.

Standards are in place for communication. If people studying tarot speak the same "language" we can communicate ideas much faster.

For example, I can say I'm having a "10 of swords" day and most people would respond with consolations and encouragement.

If the cards are our vocabulary, spreads are our grammar. If you use a spread people know, they'll understand much faster.

For people outside of the knowledge of tarot, our language isnt important, it's the meaning we convey. But for the people that want to speak the language, consistancy is very important! Imagine learning English from a Britton, An African, A north American and an Aussie all at the same time, or even worse, trying to learn latin from A spanish person, a french person, and a person from Italy all speaking their native language?

it'd be very confusing indeed. Not impossable, but hard.

I personally use spreads more than card meanings because I like having a plan when I lay down the cards. It gives me time to focus on the issue, consider the aspects that are important and what I need information on. It provides a rough outline for the data I'd like to collect. It also starts me thinking.

Then if I want feedback, or ask for people's input on a reading, I can explain what I did in a very logical procession. It goes back to communication.

So for me, spreads are very important. Without them Tarot would proably be too daunting for me to learn, and look at all I'd be missing out on!