Would a querant take me seriously if I used this deck, or not?

Elven

lark said:
So not having another deck I looked around at what was avaliable and took the banana sticker off of a banana we had for snacks, and stuck it right on his "Oh my."

OH MY!! That was hilarious!! I love a good banana and tarot story :p
Excellent lark!! :D :laugh:

rota

Elven said:
:p :eek: Not those pentacle thingies!!! ??? :bugeyed: :p

"devil stars"? Man, I've got to start using that phrase.

(I wonder what she thinks those things on the American flag are...?)

++++++

Netzach

I use the Fantastic Menagerie and the Phantasmagoric Theatre decks regularly at fairs . . . no one's complained yet! However, I always have five decks with me - as well as these two, the Tarot of Dreams, the Rohrig and the Ancestral Path - and I choose the deck to suit the client.

lark

So Little Baron I think that even more important than what deck you take is what snack are you going to bring along. :D

Rosanne

I think there might be something in what clients perceive LB. It has been a fair space since I read publicly, but the choice of decks was there, and very few chose what seemed like humorous decks. I was not using TdM decks at the time, but the more antique looking decks were most often chosen. It is like that the Querent was expecting a certain type of deck that they perceived as authentic Tarot. So Morgan Greer- RWS/WCS- Thoth and medieval themes were what were chosen in the main. Now if I am reading, I use what I want to, but it is not for people I do not know. ~Rosanne

Raya

I just really think it depends on the person. Normally I would choose any deck that, I feel, suits the moment. But I had a Taiwanese friend tell me that if I want my m4d tarot 5ki115 to be taken seriously here in Taiwan, I would have to use my more medieval "traditional" looking cards, since that fits the preconceived notion. No Voyager, no World Spirit. And if I lit candles, incense, and put crystals around, that would make me even more legit. It always depends, I tells ya. That's why I like to bring a few different decks to meet new querents. Not sure what they're expecting.

Cerulean

Ah Raya, it's all about the accessories!

....I'm teasing, but I was thinking about your post...

I remember someone who was used to reading at psychic fairs or big-ticket places and things shiny along with dark and mysterious had the a-okay; at a Renaissance Fair, the Ye Olde Europe or Silk Roadie seemed to set the stage.

This was long ago, so I'm not certain about setting and circumstance nowadays.

I think seven-to-ten years ago when my sis and I were thinking about having a reading... for a summer afternoon, we spotted an 'open' sign right before lunch. The door was answered by a somewhat sleepy-looking person in a denim shirt and and she asked if we come back after lunch in a few hours.

She had the candles and cards ready, a bit of incense and was more 'dressed' in dark fringy stuff...I was more interested in her old greeny Thoth deck and asked how long she had used such a classic-looking deck...this was after her general predictions (you sent a note that might be misunderstood; but in a few months, the person who received it will return a more positive answer--if you were expecting money, it's likely to come in six months....etc.)...but anyways, the deck and her familiarity with it was what I liked best...I've always been impressed with well-used, shiny-with-use or faded with time...

To get this back to LB's question, I heisitate to use my gothic style decks in person---more likely the soft cards such as the Renaissance (Trevisan) or if it's nonpictorial, I'm migrating to 40-50 card Latin suited decks. I do like the Visconti and Italian older decks, but it doesn't seem to be easily understandable even in conversational readings among friends--likely it's my limitations in conveying the ideas.

My most unexpectedly fresh readings included using a half-pictorial pip-card deck, the Ancient Egyptian from Lo Scarabeo and some Asian tarots for friends...but at the time, we were visiting Egyptian exhibits at museums or eating in an Asian neighborhood.

It seemed like my friends/family like decks with pictures of some sort on every card made the reading flow better. I found these were usually an art theme deck without a strong tie to any specific story.

I think the Renaissance from Lo Scarabeo suggests friendly stories, but because they aren't heavily vested into one storyline, people react well to the pictures. And it might be also it suits my way of reading, kind of soft-spoken and conversational, not really dramatic or over-the-top.

I am interested in the Universal Fantasy for a slightly more imaginative deck with a clean look to it...or if my friendly conversation is with a quirky humor, I'd enjoy getting the "Secrets" Tarot out. But I've not had that kind of happy circumstance happen yet...

Regards,

Cerulean

6 Haunted Days

lark said:
Yes, our sweet little pentacles are really....(pause for spooky music)
DEVIL STARS! })

I am thinking this would make a very cool cereal. Devil Stars (with of course little marshmallow pentacles, cloven hooves and pitchforks)...then a blurb...Smoke Crack. Worship Satan. Eat Devil Stars.

Briar Rose

I think that all of the tarot decks are really great decks. I think the matter of taking a certain deck seriously is if you match up the right deck with the right person.

frelkins

Umbrae said:
I've even used the Tarot of the Tailors and been taken seriously!

But that's a great deck for work related questions!