Would a querant take me seriously if I used this deck, or not?

Umbrae

"Would a querant take me seriously if I used this deck, or not?"

Well here's another thought from the left side of my brain - or is it my right - I forget...

The deck is the bridge between you and your sitter.

Your sitter may be a left-brained analytical Jungian gestaltist, or they be a right-brained witchy woo-woo cultist.

And there you are. And you’ve got this deck. That deck is your bridge. It’s a tool.

You cannot always match the deck to the sitter – it’s just plain not possible. Especially if you’re in a Tarot party or fair reading situation.

Sometimes I only have one deck on me. I cannot carry around 15 different decks all the time. So what I have, is what I have.

Making the bridge work, is up to me (or you).

Now some decks don’t go certain places. I’d never ever pull out an Osho Zen (or a Rajneesh Neo Tarot, or The Goose is Out) in Oregon. They got long memories there…(how well I remember, “Better dead than Rashneesh red”.)

I don’t use the Giger as a carry deck for this very reason, if it’s the deck of the day and I have to do a reading, there are chances the sitter will not take it well.

I'm rambling aren't I...sorry...now where could Schrodinger's cat could have gone...? Copenhagen?

frelkins

Umbrae said:
The deck is the bridge between you and your sitter.

this why ultra-historic decks seem to be working for me. they appeal to everyone with their perceived authenticity. the gold visconti, the silver mantegna, they are very beautiful too, which i think helps.

Little Baron

Interesting points made.

And this is why I wonder, Umbrae, if generally, should I be using something more .. erm .. general, hehe.

Freklins is on my wave-length, regarding the historical decks. In that that is what people might expect. If someone booked a cab, they might feel a bit strange if I turned up on a scateboard and suggested they jump on my back. I think this is what I am driving at from my initiual question, even though we could argue that if I get you from A-B via that method, it is not really a problem [unless there is more than one passenger :D ].

In the past, I have had a few 'oh, no, no in a million years' responses. Once to the Thoth, from someone who was 'naive' but had their own views on Crowley. And once about the Voodoo, by someone who didn't want it read in their home [they chose the 'Ages' instead, which was the other one I was carrying at the time].

Other repulsions were to the Rohrig, a few times. And a weird look [pull face] at the Revelations [Lyle].

The Victorian Romantic has gone down well, again and again [which is a shame because I don't like to read with it so much anymore].

One woman couldn't stop laughing at the BBC that she had to get a tissue, which was very frustrating and we had to switch to a Marseille so that she could settle. This was a good example of when a deck that I was a little apprehensive about, in terms of being taken seriously, was viewed far less seriously than I could have imagined. As someone who was a costumier, she couldn't detach from the 'costumes on cats' thing and it just didn't work one bit. I felt a little offended because she couldn't see past the 'obvious' and recognise just how amazing those images were :(

And the Marseille often gets the 'wow' factor, in that many can not begin to understand how it is read ["how do you remember what each one means"]. One woman said that she thought that the LoS Ancient was beautiful, which it is, when laid out with all those citrus-y colours.

Decks I would feel comfortable using, with all this in mind are -

Russian StPetersberg
Hadar
Haindl
Victorian Romantic
Golden

LB

AngelC

I guess that settles it LB. It's not just the sitter that needs to be comfortable, you have to be too.
If you still want to read with the FM (and I really do understand why, it's amazing) then either use that with people that already know you're a good reader to take seriously or bring one from your list as a backup and let the sitter choose. :)

AngelC

Cerulean

Curious at two of LB'S titles...

LB says:
And a weird look [pull face] at the Revelations [Lyle].

Did you mean the Renaissance/Secrets by Lyle or the colorful Reflections from Lo Scarabeo or the colorful upside-down-right-side-up Revelations from Llewellyn's author by Zach Wong?

LB says:
One woman said that she thought that the LoS Ancient...citrusy colors...

Was this the Ancient Warriors tarot, also known as the Sola Busca?

Because I have an older Ancient Lombardy (also known as the Neoclassical) in the bright yellow printing with citrisy colors and sometimes I do prefer the brighter version...along with the Latin-style pips. In fact your post reminded me of it and thinking it would be fun to look at it again.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

gregory

I think he means the Lyle - he posted recently that he had found and bought it.....