Decks really used?

coeur

I really really really use my Thoth deck; but I want to have a deck I can read more intuitively, which is why I have the Klimt deck. I fully intend on breaking this deck in and making it mine. So that is 2/3 decks that I use regularly.

room

Papageno said:
my commentary was an observation, not a rebuke, although you chose to take it as such.

Yes, you're very good at twisting things. Hahahaha.

To get back to the original poster, I use about 30% of my decks pretty regularly, but not for reading. And then you can rotate the ones you use, so there's always something new popping into the 30%.

Alta

Yes, I guess it goes to how 'used' is interpreted.

If 'used' means strictly reading, I rotate through about 8 at a time, but there are some that I have never read with, so, I suppose, are not 'used'.

But I look through them, get ideas through them, develop my standards for future decks through them. So then, they are 'used'.

And, collecting for investment is not unreasonable, too. Why not? Despite what they mean to us, they are not sacred in any way. And while we are at it, people collect old religious texts as investments. And hopefully don't get sent to the darker place afterwards. :D

Sulis

Moderator note

I'd just like to remind folks to keep personal comments and asides off the forums.

Thanks

Sulis - co-moderator - Talking Tarot

Bat Chicken

I have read with almost all of my collection - which is getting larger again....!:D I love Tarot - and to an increasing extent playing cards and Oracles too - and some decks I have for the art alone - I just can't read with them.

I collect what I like and cull my collection twice a year. I trade/sell anything that I haven't used or I have lost interest in (some things arrive and just never connect).

But I spend the most time with 3 decks at any one time...

Grizabella

I only use one deck right now. I have around 30 or so. I've been using just one deck for two months now and I don't expect to be using any other ones in the near future. Maybe longer. I'm not part of the One Deck Wonder but this deck I'm using is so well-suited to me that I don't seem to need another one or be attracted to any other one.

Water Lady

Thanks everyone, that was enlightening.

Kalymura

Solitaire* said:
I only use one deck right now. I have around 30 or so. I've been using just one deck for two months now and I don't expect to be using any other ones in the near future. Maybe longer. I'm not part of the One Deck Wonder but this deck I'm using is so well-suited to me that I don't seem to need another one or be attracted to any other one.
Is that the VRomantic you list in your favourites, Solitaire?

I only have three decks, and one oracle, but I'm truly attached to the Unicorn tarot. I suspect it will become well 'used'.

Netzach

I have read at some time or another with about 80 per cent of my decks. Some I bought knowing that I wouldn't read with them . . . but just for the sheer beauty of the artwork. I read regularly with five of my decks (the Rohrig, the Tarot of Dreams, the Fantastic Menagerie, the Ancestral Path and the Phantasmagoric Theater) - these are the decks I take to fairs. From time to time I do email or postal readings with others. I have recently bought the (Matthews) Arthurian which I absolutely love and which I shall read with more and more as I learn more about the underlying legends. Some while ago I bought the Vargo Gothic because, having looked through it, I thought it would be a superb deck to read with . . . and then found that I couldn't get as much out of it as I thought I would.

I'm getting the Lunatic Tarot for my birthday. I shan't read with it (it's far too big - 10 ins long by 5 ins across) and I might even be tempted to frame some of the cards because I think it's absolutely stunning.

Nocturnal Lure

I have different decks for different ocasions, for some decks the ocasion hasn't come along yet. I have two or three decks I use for general readings, so they cone out of the box (cloth, bag) the most. Perhaps with the exception of the Shakespearean Tarot I will use any deck for a reading.

(So what's wrong with the Shakespearean I hear you ask, well I think it's but-ugly and I know too few people who are into Shakespeare. Though some claim to be, but I suspect them of using the "bluff-your-way-into-Shapespeare book")