Decks really used?

NightQueen

I read mainly with the Tarot of Dreams actually always but before that it was the gilded tarot

Water Lady

Thanks everyone, this is really helping me.
I wonder now how long it took to find 'the' deck that works for you.?

Mimers

I have my favorite reading decks, but I do tend to read a small amount of my collection. 21 different decks to be exact with the primary reading/studying decks being only around 7 different decks. The rest, sadly, tend to sit around. I find if I focus on too many decks, I loose something. I start to get somewhat confused I guess. The ones I read with are the ones I study. I do this to enrich their meanings for me and add depth to my readings.

gregory

Everyone here will now start to giggle............... :|

I avoiding reading AT ALL for over 30 years, though I collected and studied. Someone here finally persuaded me, and I started with the Krause Millennium because it was on the desk when I agreed to do it.

But when the BBC arrived - that was it. So you can either say 6 months (from when I started to read) or 35 years !

It really is rather just a matter of luck. But now that I do read - I can generally get something from very many of my decks. (I recently read with one I knew could never work - just for a bet. I recanted. It worked rather well - there is an apology in the deck's thread !!!)

Mariana

I have about 25 decks now, but only a few I have gotten to know thoroughly so far. My last purchases have just been stored away immediately, so I've only read with about half of my collection, at this moment. I've bought ahead a bit because some of the decks I wanted (like Magic Realist kits) were likely to go OOP in the near future. But now I feel that I have a diverse collection and all the decks I need. I really want to take time for every one of my decks and focus on one (or possibly two) at a time. That means I have like two years' worth of candy waiting for me! :)

Myrrha

Harfang said:
The main way in which I use them that is not reading is by looking through them, in order, when I am going to sleep. This probably sounds like I don't process or benefit from them very well, what with being in almost-bedtime mode; but actually, I've had some terrific and huge insights come from this, both about particular cards (specific to a deck or just in general) and about life, the universe and everything. I now do this meditiative thing more often than I read, which isn't ideal, but it does help when I finally get around to reading with the deck in question. ;)

I do this also. I really think that going through a deck and looking at each card in order is a kind of "reading". You are reading the deck like you read a book. You are interacting with the cards and experiencing the symbols. Some of them leap out at you more than others each time you do this, depending on what is going on in your life and your mind. It is a good way to read.

--Myrrha

Water Lady

I really think that going through a deck and looking at each card in order is a kind of "reading". You are reading the deck like you read a book. You are interacting with the cards and experiencing the symbols. Some of them leap out at you more than others each time you do this, depending on what is going on in your life and your mind. It is a good way to read.

--Myrrha

Thank you all, I am going to try this. I am starting to go through a deck with its book. Learning lots.

AJ

I do this whenever I get a deck that has a companion book because bedtime is the best time I have to sit and concentrate like that. I have a good magnifying glass there and go through the book with the cards one by one. It really gives me a head start on understanding the deck when it finally comes back downstairs to be used. I usually spend about a week with the deck getting to know it like that.

I use my decks on a rotating basis so they all get used. With the exception of the 3 majors only decks I have. I bought the Meneghello I Cani and Gatti decks because they were so beautifully done. My Llewellyn majors were a gift from Scion and I will use them when I get over my fear of All Those Majors staring at me :) That might be good for a real crisis reading.

I think the only real thing that matters is not how many or how few decks we have but whether we can afford them and do we enjoy them. Compulsive buying is a sad thing because the purchased items are never loved or respected properly. Just my 2cents.

room

AJ said:
Compulsive buying is a sad thing because the purchased items are never loved or respected properly.

I agree with that.

I've tended to anthropomorphize books, and my decks get that treatment too. They need to be loved!

mac22

AJ said:
Compulsive buying is a sad thing because the purchased items are never loved or respected properly. Just my 2cents.

Very good point IMHO AJ. I respect & treasure the decks I have. I buy cautiously and IF a deck & I do not mesh then it is traded. Thus keeping a harmonious family.:D

Mac22