Trimming - how many decks and which decks?

Bean Feasa

Just thought it might be interesting to have a kind of summary thread for avid trimmers like me :) So how many and which ones have you trimmed?

AND

Which did you think was most improved by the trimming?

I've trimmed 6: Thoth, the Secret (Nizzoli), Haindl, Hudes, Druidcraft and the Nigel Jackson.

I think the Haindl was the one most 'liberated' by the trimming - those muddy borders were keeping it prisoner. But the treatment seemed to freshen them all up - imo it never fails ;)

Looking forward to hearing from fellow scissorhands!

Briar Rose

A cherished friend sent me a trimmed Goddess Tarot, and I *love the way it looks*. I was using it today! doing some spreads out on the deck.

BodhiSeed

I've trimmed:
The Druidcraft
The Druid Animal
The Radiant Rider
The Sharman-Caselli
The World Spirit
The Llewellyn
The Nigel Jackson
I'm considering the Animals Divine next...
I love all the decks I've trimmed, but my top three "most improved without the borders" are the Druidcraft, Radiant and Llewellyn.

Bodhran

AJ

I can't remember how many I've trimmed, 4 or 5ish, but all were improved by the borderectomy.

bleuivy

I am an avid border trimmer, probably because I have tiny hands, although I also think it liberates the images somewhat. Basically any deck I use and use regularly gets the chop. So far, I've trimmed:
DruidCraft (to the stone borders)
Radiant
Spiral
Thoth
Crystal
Archeon

And hmm...a couple others that I can't think of off the top of my head. They were all improved by their trimming job, but I think the Archeon and Radiant were improved the most. The Radiant, which I bought specifically to trim, became such a friendly-seeming deck without its borders. The Archeon became, to me, a completely different deck without its borders. More solitary and moody feeling, I think.

My next trim will deffinately be the World Spirit. I eventually want to trim the Fey, but I don't want to embark on that until I have a spare waiting in the wings.

Yay deck trimming! :D

Mariana

bleuivy said:
I think the Archeon and Radiant were improved the most. The Radiant, which I bought specifically to trim, became such a friendly-seeming deck without its borders. The Archeon became, to me, a completely different deck without its borders. More solitary and moody feeling, I think.
A trimmed Archeon? I'd love to see a picture of that, I can't imagine how it would look!

I've trimmed my Druidcraft because it was so inconveniently large and the borders took up so much of the space. I also have a trimmed Renaissance (Lyle) and Crystal, but I got both of them in a trade. I love trimmed decks, but I just can't seem to get hold of a corner rounder here, so I'm happy when I can get a trimmed deck in a trade. My Druidcraft still has angular corners and it's hard to shuffle, so I'm not trimming my other decks yet until I've found a corner rounder. :(

Bean Feasa

Thanks for your replies; it's interesting to see people's choices so far.

I'm planning to trim the Sharman-Caselli too, bodhran. It was my first deck and I have a special fondness for it. I think it definitely deserves a haircut.

The Archeon never cried out to me to be trimmed, nor the World Spirit, but having read these posts I think I'll take another look at them.

Hope you find your corner punch, Mariana. Mine took me while to find too. I did the corners on the Secret with nail scissors, but when I finally got the punch it did make things a whole lot easier.

Hemera

I have trimmed 15 decks and so far ALL have improved.
Here´s my list:

Druid Craft (2 trimmed sets, one with just the pics, other w/ stone border)
Vargo Gothic (I left just the pics, coloured the card sides black, and WOW)
Halloween tarot
Crystal tarot
Ancient Egyptian (the OOP one by Clive Barret-boy did it improve!)
Kalevala tarot
Harmonious tarot
Aquarian tarot
Medicine Woman
Herbal
Tarot of Transformation
Vision Quest
Arcus Arcanum

edited to add my latest:
Tarot of 1001 Nights

Mariana

hemera said:
Vision Quest

Vision Quest too? That's one I've been considering trimming. What does it look like now?

teomat

I'm very tempted to trim my New Century Tarot, but haven't succumbed yet. I think it would look fantastic - the images have similar backgrounds, so after trimming and lined up, they would form a wonderful panoramic scene.
If anyone's trimmed theirs, I would love to see some photos.

I've also been tempted to trim my Ancient Egyptian Tarot, but as it's OOP, I'd be scared of messing it up. Would love to see pics of yours, hemera...