Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Emily

Hi guys,

Well I did dig my copy of Dracula out and am reading it again - I love the book anyway so its no hardship and I'm looking for an online copy of Frankenstein and The Picture of Dorian Gray to read. It might work, it might not.

I like Gothic artwork and black and white films and the Bohemian Gothic really reminds me of black and white silent films, all faded and grainy. I just don't think I'm in the right mindset for this kind of deck at the moment. Maybe its a winter kind of deck, for all the beauty of the artwork, its not doing very much for me at the moment.

I haven't been able to let go of the Liber T either, I found my copy of 'Mirror of the Soul' out and I forgot it has affirmations for each of the cards - I haven't ever sat down and read it properly before, only every skimmed through it. And its turning into an interesting read. :)

PolarBear

Faolainn Storm said:
I love the Tarot of Dreams, but it is a little "thin". I need something I can STUDY. I am a natural scholar, and love reading and researching, but there isn't enough here for me to study. ...
So I've decided to begin a new IDS. I'm going to go with the Arthurian Tarot (Hallowquest).
Faolainn Storm

As a (slightly mystified) owner of the Hallowquest, my guess is that this will be just the deck for you! :)

I have a deck and the basic handbook, but have tried in vain to get hold of the extended handbook (I bought something that looked like it, but was the same as the handbook).
You don't happen to have an ISBN for the extended handbook do you?

Cheers,
PolarBear

SolSionnach

[/quo
Faolainn Storm said:
Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. I'm feeling a little blue at the moment and to get a happy birthday here was a lovely unexpected blessing.
Happy Birthday! (I just saw this... ;))
Faolainn Storm said:
I've been thinking about my IDS, and I feel that I've come to the end of it. Something sravana said has suddenly started bells ringing for me. I love the Tarot of Dreams, but it is a little "thin". I need something I can STUDY. I am a natural scholar, and love reading and researching, but there isn't enough here for me to study. It's a lovely and highly readable deck, but very much plug-and-play.

So I've decided to begin a new IDS. I'm going to go with the Arthurian Tarot (Hallowquest). I have two of the companion books and Arthuriana is my favourite area of study. I have copies of most (if not all) the original Arthurian legends (12th - 14th century stuff). I've read a lot of it, but not all and I've read a lot of academic work on Arthuriana. There's so much background related study I can sink my teeth into.

So I'm changing my IDS to the Arthurian Tarot from today, contining until, well I guess as long as it continues!

Faolainn Storm
Very cool! I look forward to hearing how this works out for you... :) :) :p

SolSionnach

Emily said:
Hi guys,

Well I did dig my copy of Dracula out and am reading it again - I love the book anyway so its no hardship and I'm looking for an online copy of Frankenstein and The Picture of Dorian Gray to read. It might work, it might not.

I like Gothic artwork and black and white films and the Bohemian Gothic really reminds me of black and white silent films, all faded and grainy. I just don't think I'm in the right mindset for this kind of deck at the moment. Maybe its a winter kind of deck, for all the beauty of the artwork, its not doing very much for me at the moment.
I noted that was a problem with Ironwing, which I had an aborted attempt at an IDS in the spring, when this thread first came out. I don't have the BG, but what I've seen of it, it does seem to be a fall weather deck. That being said, I wouldn't want to work with it in February - I find that the most depressing time of year and it would be too much for me. :bugeyed:
Emily said:
I haven't been able to let go of the Liber T either, I found my copy of 'Mirror of the Soul' out and I forgot it has affirmations for each of the cards - I haven't ever sat down and read it properly before, only every skimmed through it. And its turning into an interesting read. :)
I had that book, it's interesting. I'm curious how it compares when used with Liber T...

Hooked on TdM

Just catching up in here.. The Arthurian Tarot sounds very interesting.. and boy do I have some nice old gothic horror movies I wish I could borrow out to you Emily! LOL

I haven't got a lick of studying done! Has anyone else found that when doing readings they don't get any studying done? I think after my round of readings, other than the COS and TDM exchanges I'm going to have to lay off readings until I finish my card by card study. I just don't get it done otherwise!!

Hooked

rwcarter

Hooked on TdM said:
I haven't got a lick of studying done! Has anyone else found that when doing readings they don't get any studying done?
(Raises hand) But as people told me earlier in this thread, doing readings IS a form of study. I still have six more Tarot Constellations to study, and I have to get all 10 of them posted to the study group....

Rodney

Emily

sravana said:
I had that book, it's interesting. I'm curious how it compares when used with Liber T...

Its pretty good - the artwork of the Liber T and the Thoth is different but the Mirror of the Soul doesn't pull the Thoth artwork to bits and so there is quite a bit that you can relate to the Liber T. I'm not sure now why I haven't read the book before because most of the Thoth books I have really go into detail with the artwork and it just doesn't jell with the Liber T.

This is refreshingly different, and I like the affirmations and suggestions attached to each card. :)

SolSionnach

Emily said:
Its pretty good - the artwork of the Liber T and the Thoth is different but the Mirror of the Soul doesn't pull the Thoth artwork to bits and so there is quite a bit that you can relate to the Liber T. I'm not sure now why I haven't read the book before because most of the Thoth books I have really go into detail with the artwork and it just doesn't jell with the Liber T.

This is refreshingly different, and I like the affirmations and suggestions attached to each card. :)

I have both Thoth (small size, my very first tarot!) and Liber T now, and it's interesting to look at both of them together. Not that I'm doing that now, I'm being true to my HADAR!!!1!1!!. :party:

Ahem. Sorry about the enthusiastic outburst... ;) ;) ;)

I got rid of the Zigler because I'd heard that it wasn't true to Crowley, though it was better than Arrien. If I ever get into the whole Thoth/Liber T thing again, I may well look for that book... again. sigh.

That being said, the only deck/book that I've really missed once I sold it was the Cosmic Tarot, which went to raventepes. I asked him to PM me if he ever wants to sell it, but it's a fav reading deck for him now... so it's getting way more use than it ever did from me! :) :)

But I still miss it - it was the F. X. Schmidt version with the hand-drawn titles. :(

Emily

Hooked on TdM said:
Just catching up in here.. The Arthurian Tarot sounds very interesting.. and boy do I have some nice old gothic horror movies I wish I could borrow out to you Emily! LOL
Hooked

I don't know why but I keep getting a yearning to watch Gaslight - can't remember who is in it but its her husband trying to drive her mad. I saw that film as a kid and loved every second of it. :)

Scion

Ingrid Bergman & Charles Boyer... Based on the play ANGEL STREET.

Fabulous. :)