Help with a collage deck, please!

Kelly-Ann

Hi all :)

I'm currently considering making a Tarot deck of my own and I would definitely use collage as the medium. How would my work be sent to the printer upon completion? Would I send the images as scans? Or would they need the originals? If they would require scans, would it be better for the work to be in A4 or in the size that I'd want them printed? I'm reading that they should be bigger because when they are shrunk they will be higher quality - is that right?

I am completely clueless on this subject!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

(Don't worry - I'm totally clued up on copyright law in relation to collage work.)

Kelly-Ann

I can't work out how to delete this thread. I actually just finally came across what I need to know and how to do it, and it's even easier than I thought!

Ignore this! I'll try to work out how to delete it.

Kissa

Hiya :)
Just PM the moderator of the Tarot Deck Creation section, they will know how to help you :)
As a user, you cannot delete a thread or a message, you can only delete its content.
But you know what? I got really curious too after reading your questions. Do you feel like sharing what you found, could it be more like a case by case based on an agreement between the creator and the printer?
Kissa

Freder

Most printers today want electronic files, but also most printers can take physical art and -- for an extra fee -- scan it themselves and do the pre-production work that needs to be done.

The files need to be at least 300 dpi, scaled to print size, but (if you want the art to be borderless and extend off the edges of the card) with a bleed of as much as .25' all the way around.

I cannot stress enough that even if you are making physical collages and then scanning them, you need to get a serious graphics program to work with the images once they are scanned. Now that Photoshop is subscription based only, your best bet is Pixelmator (for the Mac, which is ALMOST as fill-featured as Photoshop and a heckova lot less money) or Photoshop Elements, which doesn't have the full feature set but will likely do what you need it to do and have a less steep learning curve.

Gamecrafter wants the files in RGB format, almost everyone else will want them in CMYK, and either way you will want a graphics program to do the conversions and make sure that the color balance is what you want.

Hope this is of help.